The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-H1, "Discontinued" on B&H

neilss

The title says it all. I was forwarding X-H1 info to a friend and went to the B&H site. I was surprised to see it listed as discontinued. That must have happened over the last few days. I'm kinda surprised to see that as I believe the X-T2 is still available as new. I got mine a month ago and am very happy with it. It's a nice companion to my (for sale) X-Pro2.

Bring on the X-H2

Neil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would not be surprised if they just bring an X-T4 with IBIS and similar form factor as X-T series. I always liked the form factor of the X-H1 but I am obviously a minority.

But I definitely also could survive with an X-T4 with IBIS, bigger battery and maybe 32MP sensor finally getting rid of the XTRANS array .... well one can still dream.

Pelorus

Hello Peter, I'm interested in understanding the bit about finally getting rid of the XTRANS array. Can you explain the issue with it please?

I would not be surprised if they just bring an X-T4 with IBIS and similar form factor as X-T series. I always liked the form factor of the X-H1 but I am obviously a minority.

But I definitely also could survive with an X-T4 with IBIS, bigger battery and maybe 32MP sensor finally getting rid of the XTRANS array .... well one can still dream.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hello Peter, I'm interested in understanding the bit about finally getting rid of the XTRANS array. Can you explain the issue with it please?
It was introduced to get better sharpness at times of usually 12-16MP was common.

I think that even with 24MP these necessities have gone and are definitely no longer there above 26MP.

What you still get instead are much more complicated RAW conversion procedures and still today there are hence differences between say C1Pro and LR. These issues would be all a thing of the past once Fuji would use normal Bayer pattern.

Short answer - necessities for XTrans are no longer valid with higher resolutions but disadvantages WRT RAW conversion keep existing in many RAW converters.

neilss

I also got an email about all the sale prices extended till 12/29. I haven't looked to see if B&H still list the H as discontinued. It's a wonderful camera. Odd you seldom see the camera shown on blogs, Youtube etc w/o the grip attached. For all the gripping that it is
SO LARGE just take off the grip. I seldom use the grip. It's a small camera. I've been using Nikon Pro size bodies since ?? but have had D2h, D2HS, D3 and now a D4S. Those while large are such an excellent feel in hand. The H is just like that but smaller and lighter. I hope there is an X-H2.

I just sold my X-Pro2 and am already having sellers remorse.

Neil

JoelM

What you still get instead are much more complicated RAW conversion procedures and still today there are hence differences between say C1Pro and LR. These issues would be all a thing of the past once Fuji would use normal Bayer pattern.

Short answer - necessities for XTrans are no longer valid with higher resolutions but disadvantages WRT RAW conversion keep existing in many RAW converters.
I'm not sure how you have determined what is a necessity? As for Raw converters having differences, this occurs with Bayer arrays as well. Actually, if you're only using one Raw converter, you are missing out, IMHO. Each one has a very different approach and its own software, algorithms, to interpret your Raw data. I believe the X-Trans array definitely has a place in photography even though your choice of Raw converters is limited (Fuji and C1, I believe). I did read that Adobe finally offered something for Fuji X. Oh, btw, I've never used X-Trans camera, but I've been tempted.

Looking forward to hear if my take is off.

Thanks,

Joel

neilss

Alien Skin Exposure is very dedicated to proper Fuji RAW processing. It is nearly all I use. I am tempted by C1 but the last thing I need is to learn something new. I can't say I'm disappointed by Exposure. It is very very LR like in controls so it is easy to get accustomed to. You can also switch Exposure to use all the same keyboard commands as LR or PS and you can go from LR to X4/5 and back again since Exposure offers things LR just can't 30 trials are free and Youtube is full of demos

Neil

B&H says the camera is discontinued