The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using "Classic Negative" simulation in LR

neilss

Anyone tried it? You must of course at this point have an X-Pro3 since it isn't an option on RAF's from other cameras. When/if Fuji offers it on the X-T3/30 it is really very very close to the in camera JPG recipe. I've done a couple of jpg/RAF side by sides and I had to make very slight adjustments, a bit of Clarity +7, texture +10 and maybe a slight drop in Saturation was about it.

I also took the Detail slider from LR default of 40 to @15 and slid the mask slider up to @30. This was the last step in really matching to two files I chose. In general I keep the in camera NR and Sharpening at -1 as those are kinda hard to undo if I feel they JPG is a little heavy on those settings. So if it turns out you are a RAW guy but like Classic Neg really the LR version is pretty much dead on or at least a very good jumping off point. So far Exposure 5 hasn't added Eterna or Classic Neg but i expect they will soon. I expect C1 will also offer those simulations too.

I will post examples later

Neil

Last edited:

neilss

Classic neg samples. Two of images are the OOC Jpg and the RAF converted to Classic Neg in LR with the3Pro95-2.jpg3Pro95-3.jpg3Pro95.jpg LR preset. The third and different image is the OOC RAF file for comparison
All shot with the Pro3 and 50-140 lens wide open at ISO 2000
As the appear on screen from top to bottom Camera JPG, RAW from camera, RAW from camera converted to Classic Neg in LR

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Classic neg samples. Two of images are the OOC Jpg and the RAF converted to Classic Neg in LR with the LR preset. The third and different image is the OOC RAF file for comparison
All shot with the Pro3 and 50-140 lens wide open at ISO 2000
As the appear on screen from top to bottom Camera JPG, RAW from camera, RAW from camera converted to Classic Neg in LR
Thanks for these samples! I cannot see much difference between the OOC JPEG and the RAW converted in LR with the Classic Negative Profile. Actually what I am used to from all my Fuji experience.

Great camera anyway!

neilss

PTOMSU Right, I made few changes to the RAW file after clicking the LR "Classic Neg" camera matching preset pulldown. I am pretty sure for these shots I had the settings on camera at all "0" as far as sharpen highlight and shadow go. The reducing of the LR default sharpen of 40 made the most difference as far as matching go. It's really very good.

I hope they add Classic Neg to the other cameras that share the sensor and firmware. I doubt I'll ever see it in my X-H1

I will say this, Classic neg pulls no punches on a face. No lack of detail!!!!!! F@#K do I really look that old!? Eterna is very kind however.

Neil

Pelorus

Thanks for this Neil I thought this was available to all Fuji cameras in C1...but it's not :( But it is available in C1 for the XPro 3

neilss

Right, I had no Eterna in LR for my Pro2 but I did for my XH, now the same with the Pro3, I have Classic Neg but not for the XH. Surely that could be sorted out by Adobe or Capture One?

I find I like the Classic Neg with these settings.........Highlight -1 or -2, Shadow -1 or -2, Color -2 I like the general look of it but I also like it with less punch. I guess I'll make a custom preset in camera.

Neil