The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX50R + Arca Swiss RM3di Combo

lamoreauxphoto

Finally got my architecture camera all set up with the GFX50R. Loving it so far with Canon TS-E Lenses with a good amount of movements without vignetting. I just ordered the AS Pentax 645 adapter as well to try out some of those lenses as well with a larger image circle.

GFX50R + RM3di + Canon TS-E 50mm (Crop)

Last edited:

Paul2660

It's good to see that Arca got that plate out, that allows the direct mounting of the Canon TS-E lenses, I wish Arca would make one for the 19mm Nikkor.

How well do the Canon lenses hold up on the 50r? Corners, sharp, and do you see a lot of fall off or vignetting?

Would be nice to see Fuji come out with a true shift lens, but they don't seem to understand the need for such an optic. I would love a 45mm or 35mm shift lens designed around the Fuji GF mount.

Paul C

lamoreauxphoto

It's good to see that Arca got that plate out, that allows the direct mounting of the Canon TS-E lenses, I wish Arca would make one for the 19mm Nikkor.

How well do the Canon lenses hold up on the 50r? Corners, sharp, and do you see a lot of fall off or vignetting?

Would be nice to see Fuji come out with a true shift lens, but they don't seem to understand the need for such an optic. I would love a 45mm or 35mm shift lens designed around the Fuji GF mount.

Paul C
Honestly, they hold up quite well and would say the TS-E 50mm is probably the sharpest and cleanest Canon TS-E lens in the line up. I get a good amount of movements with the combo and gives me the ability to rise/fall and shift indepentendly. Of course you'll start to see the outter edges of the imgage circle before you run out of movements on the RM3di plate bu thats a limitation of the lens image circle not the device itself.

I also am adapting Pentax 645 lenses via Arcas adapter as well and I am able to get 19mm of rise/fall and 10mm of shift at the same time and zero vinegetting. Corners are sharp at f8+ and I'm pleased with the images. Not a cheap setup and definetly not for everyone but I love the versitility that this setup provides me.

PeterA

I don't know how to move the post? Didn't know I posted in the wrong forum? Sorry I'm new here lol
You didn't post in the 'wrong' forum at all - and thank you for an interesting thread.
What Ken was advising ws that because the MF forum in GETDPI is camera 'agnostic' it gets more traffic - funny that! -:)

Cheers
Pete

vjbelle

I would also like to know what adapter you used to attach the GFX to the RM3. Do you happen to know the distance from sensor to lens mount? It would be fantastic if the Schneider 72mm could be used. I have an Actus and am able to mount a GFX/Sony and with the GFX I am able to get as wide as the 72mm.

Victor B.

pigtango

If you ask Rod Klukas, He should be able to tell you. I can’t remember the part number off the top of my head but it is an arca supplied adapter. You *should* be able to use the SK 72 digitar on it. I have a GFX 50S and the SK 72 and use it no problem on an Arca MF2 setup. the RM3di I believe will replicate all the same compatible focal lengths as the MF2 as long as you are using the 50R, the 50S grip gets in the way for using the RM3DI. Rod K can confirm for sure though.

diggles

Finally got my architecture camera all set up with the GFX50R. Loving it so far with Canon TS-E Lenses with a good amount of movements without vignetting. I just ordered the AS Pentax 645 adapter as well to try out some of those lenses as well with a larger image circle.

GFX50R + RM3di + Canon TS-E 50mm (Crop)
Nice looking kit! I've decided to try this same set up for architectural photography.

Arca-Swiss is the only tech camera manufacturer I could find that can do all of this:
  • Compatible with GFX or Digital Back
  • Compatible with r-mount tech cam lenses
  • Aperture control and infinity focus with TS-E lenses
  • Lenses (r-mount and ts-e) as well as mounting accessories are compatible with both the RM3Di and F-Line series

pigtango

All good points, but keep in mind Warren that you will be limited to the 50R with that setup. The grips for the 50 and 100S will get in the way of the Arca Camera body And may not even mount. Double check with Rod Klukas, he’d be the finally word on it.

diggles

All good points, but keep in mind Warren that you will be limited to the 50R with that setup.
Yes, that is what I found as well. I've been using the GFX100S with adapted TS-E lenses for architectural/interiors work, but I came to the conclusion the tech camera experience is more important to me than the GFX100S sensor for this purpose.

I may add an Arca F-Line in the future and then there will be more options for cameras. Or, maybe Fuji will come out with a GFX100R !!

pigtango

The view camera bodies with bellows will work better in this regard (the clearance) with certain lenses, but when you get down to the Canon TS-E lenses, the standards are nearly touching, so you're still running into partially the same problem. There may be a little more clearance due to how the Fuji bodies mount on the F,M,Universalis, vs the RM3di, and the 50 and 100s will definitely mount and work on the view camera, but shifting might be hampered on the side with the grip some.

On the 100r, one can hope, but if conversation on various forums are any indication, it seems unlikely. I personally think they probably would at some point, it follows their X mount strategy of different body styles for different folks and each upgrade in sensor tech usually gets all the different body styles... but that's just my guess. I wish they would just put out that concept camera from when they first announced the GFX that was totally modular and was basically a digital back with with the lens flange already built in, and attachable grip, view finder, etc...

diggles

The 50r came in today so I decided to run some tests with the TS-E lenses tethered to C1. I don't have the RM3Di yet, so I had to use a EF to GFX adapter.

The 24 and 17 are very good, definitely professional level. The TS-E Macro 50 and 90 are both exceptional.

While I wasn't that happy with the 24 TS-E II on the 100S, it is a better match on the 50R.

A modular GFX system would be fantastic!

Honestly, they hold up quite well and would say the TS-E 50mm is probably the sharpest and cleanest Canon TS-E lens in the line up. I get a good amount of movements with the combo and gives me the ability to rise/fall and shift indepentendly. Of course you'll start to see the outter edges of the imgage circle before you run out of movements on the RM3di plate bu thats a limitation of the lens image circle not the device itself.

I also am adapting Pentax 645 lenses via Arcas adapter as well and I am able to get 19mm of rise/fall and 10mm of shift at the same time and zero vinegetting. Corners are sharp at f8+ and I'm pleased with the images. Not a cheap setup and definetly not for everyone but I love the versitility that this setup provides me.
Are you using the Pentax 645 35mm? If so, what version are you using? I have the original "A" version and can only get 5-6mm before degradation and the distortion on it is pretty bad..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
How wide would the Canon 17mm TS-E be in 35mm terms when mounted on a medium format Fuji? I'm photographing yacht interiors, and an ultra-wide shift lens would do my job much easier.

vjbelle

The 17mm would effectively become a 21mm lens on a 33 X 44 sensor. Remember that the 50R is 4 X 3 format.

Victor B.