The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm GF roadmap 2020/21

Don Libby

Had a great conversation with 2-Fuji reps at Shot Show 2020 Tuesday. It seems that a lot of people (me included) are asking for a longer than 250mm lens. They said they've seen a interest in wildlife photographers using the GFX and they all want a lens longer than 250. They wouldn't/couldn't say when however I left them thinking 2021/2022 timeframe. No idea of the focal length however it'd be great if it were in the 300-500 range though the cost is something else.

I'll keep using the 250 with the 1.4TC until something better comes along. :watch:

Pelorus

I think there's a similar thread running in the MF forum.

Don I'd dearly like a fast/long...except for price;)

In the thread in MF there was also an ask for a PC lens. My strong impression of Fuji is that the way to get these lenses is to ask them loud and clear and to get others to ask them. They pride themselves on being responsive to their photographers.

k-hawinkler

Had a great conversation with 2-Fuji reps at Shot Show 2020 Tuesday. It seems that a lot of people (me included) are asking for a longer than 250mm lens. They said they've seen a interest in wildlife photographers using the GFX and they all want a lens longer than 250. They wouldn't/couldn't say when however I left them thinking 2021/2022 timeframe. No idea of the focal length however it'd be great if it were in the 300-500 range though the cost is something else.

I'll keep using the 250 with the 1.4TC until something better comes along. :watch:
The cost, size, and weight is something else? :facesmack:

Knorp

What about a 400/5,6 ? Would that be much heavier and/or pricier than the 250/4 ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Of course if you can live with manual focus there’s always the Pentax SMC Pentax-A* 645 600mm F5.6 ED [IF] :thumbup:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hate to ask... do you have one?
Alas not but I have looked at the longer Pentax options before as they can easily cover the sensor. Jim Kasson seemed to have good success with the long Kowa Prominar https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/guest-post-on-gfx-adapted-lenses/ but I've never seen them before. https://sportingoptics.kowa-usa.com/telephoto-lens/1278-tp566-telephoto-lens-scope-prominar.html

I too would like some longer native GF options than the 250/TC especially as the current GF lenses are so good. This makes sense if Fuji is behind the GFX as a platform system.

algrove

In the meantime I use my Mamiya 500 with converter. I also have the 2x for it. Who cares about size and weight if you want long it is usually heavy and long. I also have the Mamiya 300 which is short and lighter weight.

Even tough I will welcome the 30 and 80 I wish they were going to be with linear motors like the current 50 and other lenses have in them.

DougDolde

GF lenses are much better than the Nikon G lenses I had for the D850. No CA, ie purple fringing with backlit subjects

biglouis

GF lenses are much better than the Nikon G lenses I had for the D850. No CA, ie purple fringing with backlit subjects
Not quite true. I have detected a small propensity towards purple fringing in dark detail against strong white sky with the new 30/3.6 but nothing that a quick flick of the slider in LR can't eliminate and it is not consistently there.

That said, Fuji do not know how to design/build a bad lens, imho.

DougDolde

Not quite true. I have detected a small propensity towards purple fringing in dark detail against strong white sky with the new 30/3.6 but nothing that a quick flick of the slider in LR can't eliminate and it is not consistently there.

That said, Fuji do not know how to design/build a bad lens, imho.
ok I only have the 50mm and it's totally free of CA. At least I haven't seen any and I've looked closely