The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X Lenses - the 16s and the 90

Pelorus

Thorkil

I'm sad to hear of the troubles you have had. Transitions in life are often tough times as I well know. I hope you carve out the new space that you want and that life is happy and productive for you!

Hi Mike, just off for helping my wife with work at some other part in Denmark.
Well my life has been busy, but busy in a trouble-resolving way, had to change direction in life, withdraw from work, occupied with problems (going to court to get my money, a large amout, from a spoiled and insane customer), but now it seems like some customers wont accept that i'm trying to manage going on pension, but my terms are made clear, I will only work with friendly and nice costumers, I will only work with "ordinary" people, they have to be patient, and let me do my job at the speed I choose at the quality I choose, with the craftmen I choose, and they have to be happy though, I wont work with rich or highincome people, no potential snobbish people anymore, I want to have a nice mood while working, and I choose angle, I wont work fulltime, perhaps only halftime - they have accepted, and seems to be happy too (weird), so now the life change direction again, hhmmm, I was about getting happy with the work-free freedom, but pension is low, and one get flattered while people insist.
As long as they make some good coffee....we will see.
While I'm no photo-pro, my photovision is directed by lust, and I tend to long for wideangles, and I'm dreaming of time and freedom and featherlight-mood, to also trying out the 90/2, I just feel good just thinking of it...the main reason to keep the X-E3 and the X-T3.
Congrats with your 16/1.4, its a wonderfull lense, and a welcome keeper(!), and you like it too the picture seems to show.
Kind Regards Thorkil

iiiNelson

When I was looking to buy the XH1a couple of years ago. The two lenses that stood out for me in the entire Fuji X collection without any caveats, were the 16/1.4 and the 90/2. Those were the only lenses that I considered “must buys” out of all of the primes. For me, everything else has some sort of compromise of either the optics were excellent but the focusing was slow, the optics weren’t good enough to me but the motors were, or it just wasn’t a focal length I was interested enough in.

Good luck with your choices but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in anyway by either of these two lenses.

biglouis

I just bought the 16/1.4 (second hand from MBP in the UK) and I'm pleasantly surprised at how light it is compared to the description of it being a heavy lens.

I actually bought it without ever having handled one. I did have the 16-55/2.8 before and that was very heavy and chunky and I suspect I used it rarely as it weighed so much. I'm not feeling that way about the 16/1.4, at all. It has also made me rethink getting the 23/1.4, even though I have the 23/2 which is ridiculously lightweight.

Even on the X-H1, which is a much bigger/heavier body than the X-T3 I am not worried by the weight of 16/1.4 at all.

One feature of the 16/1.4 I like very much is the manual focus clutch. Very handy indeed.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Pelorus

Thanks Louis, it's interesting how our perspectives are affected by our experiences. Having used the X-Pro 3 only with the 35 and 50 Fujicrons up till now, the 16/1.4 seems impossibly large and heavy to me!!:ROTFL:

I'm sure I will get used to it, especially as I'm loving what I see out of it already!!

I just bought the 16/1.4 (second hand from MBP in the UK) and I'm pleasantly surprised at how light it is compared to the description of it being a heavy lens.

I actually bought it without ever having handled one. I did have the 16-55/2.8 before and that was very heavy and chunky and I suspect I used it rarely as it weighed so much. I'm not feeling that way about the 16/1.4, at all. It has also made me rethink getting the 23/1.4, even though I have the 23/2 which is ridiculously lightweight.

Even on the X-H1, which is a much bigger/heavier body than the X-T3 I am not worried by the weight of 16/1.4 at all.

One feature of the 16/1.4 I like very much is the manual focus clutch. Very handy indeed.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Pelorus

In the course of deciding about these lenses, I stumbled on this site.

I really enjoyed the consistent format of the reviews. I don't know anything about the scientific merit of the methodology, however it seemed to me that the consistency allowed at least a comparison of different lenses from within their review set.

Oldwino

Thanks Louis, it's interesting how our perspectives are affected by our experiences. Having used the X-Pro 3 only with the 35 and 50 Fujicrons up till now, the 16/1.4 seems impossibly large and heavy to me!!:ROTFL:

I'm sure I will get used to it, especially as I'm loving what I see out of it already!!
This was my experience with the 16/1.4 too - seemed very large compared to my Fujicrons. And although the image quality is first rate, I ended up selling the lens as I always hesitated to put it on the camera.
I am interested in the 16/2.8, and will get one at some point in the future, whenever I figure out a project for it.