The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X Lenses - the 16s and the 90

Pelorus

Now given the discussion in the XT-3 thread I shouldn't even be posting this, but nevermind :cool:

I've been quietly putting together a Fuji X kit - X-Pro 3 and so far the 35 and 50 Fujicrons. The aim being to be lightweight and compact vs the 50R and the two zooms.

The point has come where I'm going to add a wider lens - probably a 16 and probably a slightly longer lens - the 90 maybe. Then I will call stop.

The issue I have is mainly with the 16. The two Fujicrons we have are nice, light, and not bad lenses. However, they rely on software to deal with corner softness and distortion - particularly the 35. So whilst they are good lenses to use they are a compromise. The a/f is very fast and they are well made...

With the 16 I have the choice of the almost Fujicron 2.8 or the 1.4. I'm torn. I have no very fast lens and sometimes that's really useful, particularly inside. People absolutely rave about the 1.4. But it's big and heavy vs the 2.8.

So cutting to the chase. Has anyone got real world experience of one or both of those lenses they'd like to share? Pictures? What's the AF like on the 1.4? What would you do?

I'd also like views on the 90. Thorkil posted a stunning 90 shot in the XT3 thread. Any experiences? Any examples? I'd mainly use it for portraits, perhaps some short tele stuff.

I'd really appreciate actual experience with these lenses. The 50 is a not bad portrait length on the APS-C sensor so I could just skip the 90...but it seems to be a stellar lens, too good in a way to skip. However the 16/1.4 and the 90 are both bricks compared to the Fujicrons.

You get the picture...

fotoism

I use the 16/1.4 on my X-T1 and am happy with it, but I hasten to add I am not a professional and I am not overly technical about my equipment either. Here is one example. Let me know if you want the .RAF.

View attachment 146966

Thorkil

these are all just some repetitions from previous posting, sorry - all with X-T2 - just to get a hint
at first just some 16's (it's good but not woth k...... for, but nevertheless really worth keeping!)

the XF 16 at 5.6

16 at f2.8

16 at f1.4

16 at 5.6 hasty hipshot while moving

then the lens worth k...... for - the 90/2
XF 90 at f2

90 at f2

90 at f2

90 at f2

90 at f2

just to show some,
thorkil

Last edited:

fotoism

I came from Leica M8 and the lenses such as 15/4.5, 28/2.0, 35/1.4, 35/2.0, 50/1.4 are much smaller. But then again those are manual focus lenses. With the X-T1 and 16/1.4 I do not feel it much bigger or heavier than the Leica set-up to the point that it becomes noticeable in use. With your X-T3 you probably will get even better result with the 16/1.4.

Pelorus

Thorkil thank you so much for these pictures. For _you_ what is the distinction that makes the 90 much more desirable (avoiding your word ;-)) than the 16? What do you find yourself using the 90 for? BTW, the "hipshot" are you talking about her hips or yours?:p

these are all just some repetitions from previous posting, sorry - all with X-T2 - just to get a hint
at first just some 16's (it's good but not woth k...... for, but nevertheless really worth keeping!)

the XF 16 at 5.6

16 at f2.8

16 at f1.4

16 at 5.6 hasty hipshot while moving

then the lens worth k...... for - the 90/2
XF 90 at f2

90 at f2

90 at f2

90 at f2

90 at f2

just to show some,
thorkil

PeterA

the 16/1.4 is my favourite Fuji X lens- very versatile as a walk around and happy snapper

Pelorus

Thanks Pete,

It's interesting how you can so often send the traditional wisdom to the bin isn't it: "You can't take portraits with wide angle lenses, you'll distort the person". Shots like yours give the lie to that.

Have you ever used the 16/2 and if so what did you think of it?
the 16/1.4 is my favourite Fuji X lens- very versatile as a walk around and happy snapper

PeterA

Thanks Pete,

It's interesting how you can so often send the traditional wisdom to the bin isn't it: "You can't take portraits with wide angle lenses, you'll distort the person". Shots like yours give the lie to that.

Have you ever used the 16/2 and if so what did you think of it?
Sorry, haven't tried the 16/2 so I can't comment on it.
On use of wides for portraits- remember this is 'only' 24mm in 35mm terms...
Still- your observation is correct about 'wisdoms' passed on..all I can say is that it doesn't cost much to try stuff out yourself....and see what you like.

Pelorus

Interestingly the 16 is the same AOV as the legendary Biogon 38 on 6x6 (93 degrees diagonal). I remember being criticised for using an SWC/M to take portraits!! I thought it was a great portrait camera :ROTFL:

Sorry, haven't tried the 16/2 so I can't comment on it.
On use of wides for portraits- remember this is 'only' 24mm in 35mm terms...
Still- your observation is correct about 'wisdoms' passed on..all I can say is that it doesn't cost much to try stuff out yourself....and see what you like.

Thorkil

Thorkil thank you so much for these pictures. For _you_ what is the distinction that makes the 90 much more desirable (avoiding your word ;-)) than the 16? What do you find yourself using the 90 for? BTW, the "hipshot" are you talking about her hips or yours?:p
:)
the 90/2 is extremely sharp but in that special desirable soft way, and the out of focus areas are just that dreaming, the back light is also drawn in that seldom very gentle way, perhaps in a way like my 135DC Nikkor does too, but hard pressed I would rank the 90/2 a bit higher than the 135DC, its just sepcial.
The 16/1.4 is very sharp too, but in a bit more clinic way, though without being overcontrasted, and without being harsh at all, a very nice and desirable lens - but the 90/2 is in its own special league (but I use it too seldom!)

Pelorus

Thanks Thorkil,

The issue that I have is whilst I can see use cases for the 90, I can't see it getting heaps of use. Whereas the 16 I think will get heaps of use.

I'm interested to see you say you use it too seldom. Is that busy life or the lens focal length?

Kind regards
Mike

:)
the 90/2 is extremely sharp but in that special desirable soft way, and the out of focus areas are just that dreaming, the back light is also drawn in that seldom very gentle way, perhaps in a way like my 135DC Nikkor does too, but hard pressed I would rank the 90/2 a bit higher than the 135DC, its just sepcial.
The 16/1.4 is very sharp too, but in a bit more clinic way, though without being overcontrasted, and without being harsh at all, a very nice and desirable lens - but the 90/2 is in its own special league (but I use it too seldom!)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
An 11mm lens, however, still takes an odd portrait. (Leica TL2, sorry for going off-brand)

This is yours truly. I won't be lending that camera to anyone anytime soon. :loco:

Matt

Pelorus

So I managed to get a better deal than they were offering on Black Friday and I pulled the trigger. I decided that I'd use wider more than longer right now. First quick snap...I like the wafer thin plane of focus!

Thank you everyone for this rich and informative thread!!

A little comfort goes a long way:

Thorkil

Thanks Thorkil,

The issue that I have is whilst I can see use cases for the 90, I can't see it getting heaps of use. Whereas the 16 I think will get heaps of use.

I'm interested to see you say you use it too seldom. Is that busy life or the lens focal length?

Kind regards
Mike
Hi Mike, just off for helping my wife with work at some other part in Denmark.
Well my life has been busy, but busy in a trouble-resolving way, had to change direction in life, withdraw from work, occupied with problems (going to court to get my money, a large amout, from a spoiled and insane customer), but now it seems like some customers wont accept that i'm trying to manage going on pension, but my terms are made clear, I will only work with friendly and nice costumers, I will only work with "ordinary" people, they have to be patient, and let me do my job at the speed I choose at the quality I choose, with the craftmen I choose, and they have to be happy though, I wont work with rich or highincome people, no potential snobbish people anymore, I want to have a nice mood while working, and I choose angle, I wont work fulltime, perhaps only halftime - they have accepted, and seems to be happy too (weird), so now the life change direction again, hhmmm, I was about getting happy with the work-free freedom, but pension is low, and one get flattered while people insist.
As long as they make some good coffee....we will see.
While I'm no photo-pro, my photovision is directed by lust, and I tend to long for wideangles, and I'm dreaming of time and freedom and featherlight-mood, to also trying out the 90/2, I just feel good just thinking of it...the main reason to keep the X-E3 and the X-T3.
Congrats with your 16/1.4, its a wonderfull lense, and a welcome keeper(!), and you like it too the picture seems to show.
Kind Regards Thorkil