The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

gurtch

I have no ties to Fuji. I have a GFX 50R, 23mm lens, 32-64mm lens, and 100-200mm lens. It is quite a heavy kit. I saw in Fuji Rumors that the compact and light 50mm f3.5 is on sale for 50% off. Sure enough, I went to B&H and there it was at $499.95 not $999.95. I could not resist, I ordered it and it will be delivered tomorrow, free shipping. I absolutely love the camera and the 24"x 32" prints it makes. I figure when I go on a photo shoot I will take the entire kit, and have it in the car, but walk around with the body and 50mm lens. I turn 83 this month, and light weight to walk around with is a major deal for me. I know my 32-64mm covers 50mm, but it is very heavy. Here is a sample image from the 50R and 32-64mm.
Thanks
Dave in NJ
D792 framed.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
As an exercise, I went out with just that 50 and a macro extension tube. It was fun. The lens is small, sharp, and weightless (by MF standards).

Street crossing button sign:

Matt

scho

I have no ties to Fuji. I have a GFX 50R, 23mm lens, 32-64mm lens, and 100-200mm lens. It is quite a heavy kit. I saw in Fuji Rumors that the compact and light 50mm f3.5 is on sale for 50% off. Sure enough, I went to B&H and there it was at $499.95 not $999.95. I could not resist, I ordered it and it will be delivered tomorrow, free shipping. I absolutely love the camera and the 24"x 32" prints it makes. I figure when I go on a photo shoot I will take the entire kit, and have it in the car, but walk around with the body and 50mm lens. I turn 83 this month, and light weight to walk around with is a major deal for me. I know my 32-64mm covers 50mm, but it is very heavy. Here is a sample image from the 50R and 32-64mm.
Thanks
Dave in NJ
View attachment 147191
Dave,

Thanks for the heads up on the 50/3.5 and Happy Birthday as well! I just ordered the lens from Allen's Camera and I will also be 83 in June.

Best regards,
Carl

gurtch

Thanks Carl......I will report on the lens as soon as I try it out. And thanks for the birthday wishes....Feb 20, same as Ansel Adams!
Dave

gurtch

Well, I received the lens. It has been grey, and raining, or drizzling here, but I was determined to try out the new 50mm lens. Here are two samples. I had to boost up the colors to help with the flat ugly lighting. Another reviewer stated he thought the lens did not produce as vibrant colors as some of the other Fuji lenses. Also the close up shot of the fish traps frustrated me as I wanted to get a little closer, and the minimum focus distance is a little lacking. However the lens fills the bill for me as a small, light (comparatively speaking) walk around lens. Because of the lousy lighting these shots are around ISO 1000 or higher.
All in all, I am happy with the lens.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.comD799 framed.jpgD800 framed.jpg

biglouis

I've been humming and hawing about the ridiculous price of this lens and now decided to go for it.

One reason is that it is at a price which is a lot less than some of the exotic primes for the XF mount. I mean, I own the 16/1.4 which was more second hand than this lens is currently new and its a fine lens but no way close to the quality of a GF lens on a 50R. Likewise, not that I own it the 23/14, 90/2 etc. The only exotic XF lens I own which I actually prefer to the GF alternative is the 80/2.8 macro which absolutely shines on both the X-T3 and the X-H1.

I figured that for those time when I feel like I don't feel like hefting the 50R, the pancake may make the difference between leaving it at home or taking it with me.

I still don't understand why Fuji are doing this. Maybe they think that the forthcoming 45-100 is going to eat their baby but I can't see why that would happen. Maybe they just made too many of them and need to recoup the outlay. Maybe they are just nice folks who like their community of users!

LouisB

k-hawinkler

Good luck to all you GF50 users. :clap:
I like my GF45 f/2.8 and its use on the 50S. :thumbs:
Size and weight are not an issue for me. :salute:

Knorp

I've been humming and hawing about the ridiculous price of this lens and now decided to go for it.

One reason is that it is at a price which is a lot less than some of the exotic primes for the XF mount. I mean, I own the 16/1.4 which was more second hand than this lens is currently new and its a fine lens but no way close to the quality of a GF lens on a 50R. Likewise, not that I own it the 23/14, 90/2 etc. The only exotic XF lens I own which I actually prefer to the GF alternative is the 80/2.8 macro which absolutely shines on both the X-T3 and the X-H1.

I figured that for those time when I feel like I don't feel like hefting the 50R, the pancake may make the difference between leaving it at home or taking it with me.

I still don't understand why Fuji are doing this. Maybe they think that the forthcoming 45-100 is going to eat their baby but I can't see why that would happen. Maybe they just made too many of them and need to recoup the outlay. Maybe they are just nice folks who like their community of users!

LouisB
Louis, that nifty G50 is perfect on my 50S, it'll be more than perfect on your 50R.

Happy shooting ... :)

Krgds.

biglouis

I picked up my order of the 50/3.5 today and on the way back home took a couple of test shots.

Just to give some context, here are two photographs of the lens itself.

This is the lens on my 50R with the 45/28 next to it.

This is what I had hoped for. The 50R with the lens attached fits inside my tiny Crumpler 'Lollipop' case.

Preliminary results - it's a Fujinon, it's what you would expect. Sharp, detailed photographs with good contrast. f11, iso800 1/80 (click through for 32Mb full sized jpeg)

A test wide open at f3.5. The focus point was on the railway arches in the centre of the frame. Not bad but sharpness falls off at the edges - although that might be due to the depth of field at f3.5. I'll have to do more tests.

Not sure about where this leaves me, owning the 45/2.8 and 63/2.8. The lens fulfils an interesting need for real portability. It would make a good companion for the GF 30/3.5 which has been announced.

Pelorus

I do not need another lens...
I do Not need another lens...
I DO NOT NEED another lens...
I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LENS...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I do not need another lens...
I do Not need another lens...
I DO NOT NEED another lens...
Think of it as half a lens. Or, at that price, a quarter of a lens. See? Much better! :grin:

PeterA

I don't think Fuji know how to make a bad lens ...

I'm a bit like KH - very happy with the 45/2.8 and asking myself do I really need another lens in the 32-63 range - since I have the zoom - and then I say oh yeah but light and compact and then I say oh yeah thats why you got an XT-3 or a CL...and round and round the merry go round..:ROTFL:

Pelorus

Thanks Matt and Peter...I'm doing exactly what Peter is at the moment....:)

I'm also wondering what to carry the X-Pro 3 in. Like Peter and the XT-3 I bought it as the carry around camera but I need something to put it in...GAS

k-hawinkler

Here is an interesting comparison:

35MM Equivalent Lens Comparison
https://fcracer.com/35mm-equivalent-lens-comparison/#conclusion

Quote:

A comparison needs to have stack ranking, and you’ll find that below. I ranked them based on Sharpness, Bokeh and Value. Let me know if you agree with the assessment below based on what you see above or from your own experiences in using these lenses. Would you rank them differently?
SharpnessBokehValue
1. GF45
2. GF50
3. Summilux
4. XF23
1. GF45
2. Summilux
3. GF50
4. XF23
1. GF50
2. GF45
3. Summilux
4. XF23

:salute:

PeterA

Here is an interesting comparison:

35MM Equivalent Lens Comparison
https://fcracer.com/35mm-equivalent-lens-comparison/#conclusion

Quote:

A comparison needs to have stack ranking, and you’ll find that below. I ranked them based on Sharpness, Bokeh and Value. Let me know if you agree with the assessment below based on what you see above or from your own experiences in using these lenses. Would you rank them differently?
SharpnessBokeh[/TH
[TH="class: has-text-align-left, align: left"]Value
1. GF45
2. GF50
3. Summilux
4. XF23
1. GF45
2. Summilux
3. GF50
4. XF23
1. GF50
2. GF45
3. Summilux
4. XF23

:salute:

Very useful link - thanks KH and just as I/we suspected - the 45/2.8 is an absolutely awesome lens to shoot wide open for the GFX system at F5.6+ they all seem to my eye to be pretty much the same. Even a die hard Leica fanboy for decades like me - can not ignore the tremendous advances that Fuji has made - unbeatable value across both its X and G lines - but I have to admit that my Leicas just 'feel' nicer in the hand - this is all that I can say about the difference and as far as image quality:thumbup: output goes -I have not used a better camera than the GFX - except for maybe the original Leica M monochrom - which I sincerely regret ever selling - so I am going to buy a refurbished one from Leica and fix that error. I so wish Fuji would make a monochrom camera- I'd buy it faster than you can say - gimme!

k-hawinkler

Very useful link - thanks KH and just as I/we suspected - the 45/2.8 is an absolutely awesome lens to shoot wide open for the GFX system at F5.6+ they all seem to my eye to be pretty much the same.

Even a die hard Leica fanboy for decades like me - can not ignore the tremendous advances that Fuji has made - unbeatable value across both its X and G lines - but I have to admit that my Leicas just 'feel' nicer in the hand - this is all that I can say about the difference

and as far as image quality:thumbup: output goes -I have not used a better camera than the GFX - except for maybe the original Leica M monochrom - which I sincerely regret ever selling - so I am going to buy a refurbished one from Leica and fix that error. I so wish Fuji would make a monochrom camera- I'd buy it faster than you can say - gimme!
Thanks Peter. Good luck to you with getting a Leica M monochrome.

After waiting for 3 months, on 2009.12.31 I finally received my M9, my one and only Leica camera that I still have but have not used in a long while. I still use a few of my sizable Leica lens collection, but on cameras made by Fuji and Sony, mostly on Sony as the TechArt Pro (TAP) lens adapter adds autofocus as a key ingredient to the mix.

Currently I have 2 favorite cameras, the Fuji 50S and Sony A9 that excel in their particular areas, the A9 for action/tele shots, the 50S for everything else, although the A9 is an outstanding multipurpose tool. I find that both camera makers have an excellent set of lenses.

Two images by Bart de Vries (alias Knorp), taken with the GF32-64 and GF250 on the 50S and the prospect of the GFX100, convinced me to acquire a GFX system. I have a hard time singling out a particular lens from my 6 GF lenses - namely GF 23, 32-64, 45, 110, 120, 250, and 1.4x TC - as all of them are capable of generating on my 50S sublime and technically outstanding images. Consequently so far I have not felt the need to add the GFX 100, when it became available, or replicate the equivalent GF focal range on my Sony FFs. :facesmack: