The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50mm lens half price

PeterA

Thanks Peter. Good luck to you with getting a Leica M monochrome.

After waiting for 3 months, on 2009.12.31 I finally received my M9, my one and only Leica camera that I still have but have not used in a long while. I still use a few of my sizable Leica lens collection, but on cameras made by Fuji and Sony, mostly on Sony as the TechArt Pro (TAP) lens adapter adds autofocus as a key ingredient to the mix.

Currently I have 2 favorite cameras, the Fuji 50S and Sony A9 that excel in their particular areas, the A9 for action/tele shots, the 50S for everything else, although the A9 is an outstanding multipurpose tool. I find that both camera makers have an excellent set of lenses.

Two images by Bart de Vries (alias Knorp), taken with the GF32-64 and GF250 on the 50S and the prospect of the GFX100, convinced me to acquire a GFX system. I have a hard time singling out a particular lens from my 6 GF lenses - namely GF 23, 32-64, 45, 110, 120, 250, and 1.4x TC - as all of them are capable of generating on my 50S sublime and technically outstanding images. Consequently so far I have not felt the need to add the GFX 100, when it became available, or replicate the equivalent GF focal range on my Sony FFs. :facesmack:
I am back and forth in my mind whether to buy the new M10M or a refurbished monochrom - the main reason being I have so many fantastic shots made with M9/MM and so many great memories. These days I prefer to shoot between 21- 90mm (in 35mm terms) and I prefer primes. After trying M lenses on the GFX50 and 100 I decided that the Fuji lenses were far better on the GFX. I have 23/45/32-63/110/2 and 250+TC) I've kept a few M lenses and significantly reduced my previous inventory as the SL crons are the best glass ever made by Leica.

If I needed a long telephoto - I would buy a Sony A9 and the fast tele you've recently picked up - best in class everything no doubt! I think Sony have the best overall ecosystem in the market however the bodies are a bit on the small side for me which makes shooting difficult - hence the SL2 as my big boy35mm choice I can pick and choose the primes I want and supplement with any fill ins from Panasonic or Sigma - both of whom make good lenses.

all the best
Pete

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter.

I have on all my cameras a battery grip permanently attached. :thumbup:
That seems to solve the “too small” camera problem pretty effectively. :facesmack:
Also for the A9 I have 6 batteries, 2 in A9 with grip, 4 in one Sony charger. :thumbup:
The A9 with grip and TAP nicely balances the Summilux-R 80/1.4.
Shot wide open it seems to compete with the GF110 on the 50S. :clap:

PeterA

Thanks Peter.

I have on all my cameras a battery grip permanently attached. :thumbup:
That seems to solve the “too small” camera problem pretty effectively. :facesmack:
Also for the A9 I have 6 batteries, 2 in A9 with grip, 4 in one Sony charger. :thumbup:
The A9 with grip and TAP nicely balances the Summilux-R 80/1.4.
Shot wide open it seems to compete with the GF110 on the 50S. :clap:
Yes I tried the grip route with the original A7R - still no good. It is the reason why I don't shoot much with the XT-3 too small - even with grip....never liked the grip on the 50S or my original SL - not perfect fits and have a tendency to come loose - especially the 50S in my experience.

meh these are minor nitpicks!

I'd be interested in your opinion on the new L mount crons if you ever get to try them out - one warning though - if you do try you will want to buy.

Pete

biglouis

Interesting to read the discussion about Leica cameras above.

The 50S and now the 50R, even more so, are the only digital cameras I have owned since disposing of all my Leica kit back in 2012 (which included film bodies as well) that give me so much satisfaction taking the shot and also processing it.

My Fuji XF system is a great workhorse but almost characterless in use. The little Ricoh GRIII is close to the same level I feel when using the 50R but a totally different camera.

I did own a Leica Q for a time and thought it would be with me forever but after using it for a year I realised I just didn't like it and I sold it as I couldn't justify owning such an expensive beast and having it sit on my shelf.

Who'd a thought that Fuji would come from behind with such an amazing system?

LouisB

ron787

As you've indicated, the GF50mm had been a good purchase at the time of the 50% discount, but it is currently selling at its original MSRP. That said, and despite the excellent IQ offered by this lens I rarely use it, and instead have made the GF 45-100mm OIS my permanent GFX50r mounted lens. I have, on occasion, mounted the GF50mm to my GFX100 but its diminutive size makes for an odd appearing combination.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
When I got the GF 50mm lens and started shooting something was off. The lens appeared to be even better than my all-time-favourite GF 45mm. Of course, given that it is a much cheaper lens it was hard to believe so I asked Lloyd Chambers to test it for us. Here is his conclusion:

The Fujifilm GF 50mm f/3.5 R LM WR is a gem in the GF lens lineup. It’s the smallest and lightest, least expensive, highest performance lens in its range, and (mostly) free of optical headaches leading to sub-optimal results. It should be at the top of the list for most all Fujifilm medium format shooters.
So in short he was also surprised how good this lens really is given the price. Here is his entire review

https://mediumformat.com/fujifilm-gf-50mm-f-3-5-awesome-first-choice-for-fujifilm-medium-format/