The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X100V

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This beast of a camera was announced on February 4th 2020 and I cannot believe that there is so less interest here .....

so at least a funny video about it and it's use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5zG_YnBXY

Well, for me this fifth iteration of the X100 seems to tick all the boxes I want and was waiting for. I am very intrigued by this camera finally - while the original X100 was far too slow for me and also the successors left many wishes open for me, this X100V finally represents almost 98% of what I want from an everyday, always with me camera. I could even see myself taking it as the only camera with me for my next big vacation - of course where I will not do sports or wildlife shooting or safari etc., but even then it would be a great complement to whatever main camera I am using.

I especially really like the Fujifilm attitude lately and how they design their cameras brave with their hearts and also lot of brain and know how.

At least a clear thumbs up from me on this camera :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

biglouis

Indeed, it is a great looking camera. Were I in the market, I'd be interested. Especially as the Dpreview tests show that the sharpness of the new lens formula is very much improved.

I have higher priorities to spend my money on and also I prefer the 28mm fov from the GRIII.

One thing that might have convinced me would be if they had included twin card slots. It would be ideal for reportage but with a single slot there is always that nagging concern about card failure. I do use the GRIII but only as a backup/adjunct to what I am doing, not as a main camera.

Just my two cents

LouisB

Quentin_Bargate

I have a X100F and take it almost everywhere with me. It is incredibly useful. For a fixed lens travel camera, the focal length is perfect for me.

Being the camera tart that I am, I have already placed an order for the X100V :cool:

AlanS

I had the original X100 which I quite enjoyed until the lens issue (which lost me some good pics from Paris) and destroyed my confidence in it. I have been looking at some of the files from it and they are rather nice, so much so that I am toying with the idea of maybe this new version or more probably the F version.:cool:

Pelorus

Nice camera, very nice Youtube clip, however after viewing that clip, it's clear to me that this is not the camera for me...I cannot shake my arse the way the girl in the clip can. Clearly you need to be able to do that to own this camera :ROTFL:

This beast of a camera was announced on February 4th 2020 and I cannot believe that there is so less interest here .....

so at least a funny video about it and it's use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5zG_YnBXY

Well, for me this fifth iteration of the X100 seems to tick all the boxes I want and was waiting for. I am very intrigued by this camera finally - while the original X100 was far too slow for me and also the successors left many wishes open for me, this X100V finally represents almost 98% of what I want from an everyday, always with me camera. I could even see myself taking it as the only camera with me for my next big vacation - of course where I will not do sports or wildlife shooting or safari etc., but even then it would be a great complement to whatever main camera I am using.

I especially really like the Fujifilm attitude lately and how they design their cameras brave with their hearts and also lot of brain and know how.

At least a clear thumbs up from me on this camera :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I wouldn't mind having one, but it's not on the top of my list. Here's the video that Fuji pulled. I don't know what to say about his approach, but the images are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2YzUvHDq0
I would not work as he does, this is not what I am. And I am confident you can also get pretty nice shots being a bit less obtrusive.

Having said that the X100V seems pretty much what I want from an everyday P&S, even topping most requirements I have. I would have loved to see a PenF2 but unfortunately that does not happen anymore. So I need to look elsewhere and this camera is by far the next camera covering all I would have liked to cover with the PENF2 but just that bit more in every discipline. I do not even mind not having IBIS or IS in this type of camera because with my shooting style I will not need it for 35mm equivalent lens - never needed it so far in my life. And even some short video clips will work out fine without IS.

This video is Japanese but it again shows the proud people that designed that camera!

FUJIFILM X100V 宣傳影片 (120Sec.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqeahMB6ssA

Tim

Thanks for starting the thread Peter,

The X100V is a definite buy for me. I enjoy the one camera one lens ideal and generally rely on the Ricoh GR for that. However I am lately wanting a VF of some kind, not sure if its age or lazy-ness but having grown up with film cameras and OVFs I guess old ways die hard. The add on OVF on the GR does help but I've had the original X100 and an X100T in the past and enjoy having that wonderful clear view and data in the VF. Also as a past Medium Format film user having a tilt screen WLF option on the X100V is now too good to pass up.

My biggest gripe right now is the crappy AU dollar so the X100V is quite stratospheric in price. My only question is not if I buy but when.

Cheers.

biglouis

Although I am heavily invested in Fuji, I am not a fanboy but it does fascinate me that the most innovative camera companies are the 'cinderellas' to Nikon and Canon, like Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Ricoh.

What has Nikon or Canon come up with recently which is in any way innovative?

Not wanting to start an argument but just a passing thought first thing in the morning :)

LouisB

rayyan

Not my style to photograph street the way the guy in the video did/ ( does ). And obviously neither the way the lovely lady in the other video does!
Having said that, this camera interests me. My 100S is still working fine but needs a bit of maintenance. The battery door is busted. Else not really much to complain about that.

But I am in no hurry.

Well done Fuji.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Although I am heavily invested in Fuji, I am not a fanboy but it does fascinate me that the most innovative camera companies are the 'cinderellas' to Nikon and Canon, like Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Ricoh.

Not wanting to start an argument but just a passing thought first thing in the morning :)

LouisB
I tried to love Nikon again but so far with their current Z offerings I am still a bit skeptical if I would ever go back to them.

For Canon I have some hope when they will announce their next gen R bodies, as I am specifically interested in some RF lenses that as a lens I was always lusting for or already owned it in EF mount, like the beautiful 1.2/85. But then they still need to proof first they develop their R system before I jump into that.

Fuji currently ticks much more boxes for me, especially with the X100V and the X Pro3 and the soon to be announced X-T4 hopefully as well.

Hard to get back into Nikon and Canon again - actually I always said that already years ago when I left their DSLR systems.

Tim

LouisB
I can be enthusiastic about a brand if they have "the goods". The Fujis deliver on ergonomics where the others not as good IMO. I'll slide to whoever works for me best and that includes price.

PeterA

I bought a used X-T3 in like new condition from mpb.com
for $1159. The price for the X100V is $1399.

That leaves $240 to buy a lens and it CAN be done, Not only that but you're not stuck with just one lens. So I don't see the attraction

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-fuji-x-series-lenses/
The allure of the XV like its predecessors is as about the hybrid viewfinder Doug - the closest thing that people can get to a real rangefinder from Leica - well close isnt the word I'd use more like a distant salute followed by a sigh....

retow

The allure of the XV like its predecessors is as about the hybrid viewfinder Doug - the closest thing that people can get to a real rangefinder from Leica - well close isnt the word I'd use more like a distant salute followed by a sigh....
Not to forget the built in flash, leaf shutter and flash sync speed.

rayyan

I use Leica Rangefinder cams.

And I bought into the Fuji xp and x100 systems because they gave me something Leica M lacked....autofocus.
And of course the perceived value of a system eco..by me. I have a stable of M lenses.

So,as far as I am concerned, I don’t have a ‘ sigh ‘ so to speak. I buy and use what I like and can afford.
And Leicas I can afford. But I have outgrown them. With affection.

I have not found Fuji lenses to be any less desirable than say Leica M lenses. More likely due to my untrained Leica eye. I am sure I can find 3D rendering or some mythical glow in all lenses n systems...I can see fairies dancing on pin heads or virgins in an OVF. If I look hard enough.

Each system has its ardent users. Some look beyond brands and look for utility for their use.
The Fuji X100 series is a very viable camera for me.
Not least coz I don’t think it is only for wannabe Leica lust.

PeterA

I use Leica Rangefinder cams.

And I bought into the Fuji xp and x100 systems because they gave me something Leica M lacked....autofocus.
And of course the perceived value of a system eco..by me. I have a stable of M lenses.

So,as far as I am concerned, I don’t have a ‘ sigh ‘ so to speak. I buy and use what I like and can afford.
And Leicas I can afford. But I have outgrown them. With affection.

I have not found Fuji lenses to be any less desirable than say Leica M lenses. More likely due to my untrained Leica eye. I am sure I can find 3D rendering or some mythical glow in all lenses n systems...I can see fairies dancing on pin heads or virgins in an OVF. If I look hard enough.

Each system has its ardent users. Some look beyond brands and look for utility for their use.
The Fuji X100 series is a very viable camera for me.
Not least coz I don’t think it is only for wannabe Leica lust.
Thanks for the clear annunciation of your feelings, experiences accumulated wisdoms and anecdotes - after reading this - I'll have to investigate Fuji cameras and see if they have anything worthwhile on offer to add to my kit.

All the best
Pete

Photon42

I have bought an x100f one year ago. The complete package is what attracts me. Leaf shutter for fast flash sync, built-in flash, a viewfinder which lets me see around the frame, a compact lens, excellent IQ and good AF, ready fast start time, film simulations if this is your thing. Kind of the Swiss Army Knife for street and travel light. Also great second camera if your first one is something large and complicated. The viewfinder is great - even on the F.

segedi

... Not only that but you're not stuck with just one lens. So I don't see the attraction
With the wide or tele conversion lenses, technically you have 3 focal lengths.

I had the X100F and sold it a year ago anticipating the V. Since picked up a used Sony RX100 VI and as much as I like the size, versatile zoom range and images, really don't like the experience.
Considering the X100V to accompany my X-T2, which is still a really nice camera. The only thing the XT-4 could do to entice me to upgrade is substantially more megapixels; I like to print large.