The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X100V

iiiNelson

I wouldn’t mind having one but my issue with the X100 line has always been the price. If it were around $800 or so I’d snatch one up in a minute. For $1400 I’d rather buy a lens or lenses of an existing system camera I own. It would never be more of an auxiliary or side camera for me and they’ve always cost more than I’m willing to spend on one. Just my opinion for my own uses though. Now that being said if Ricoh GR series weren’t a 28mm then I’d snatch one of those up as well... in either case they’re great cameras but I fail to see the complete value of them for me personally. I’ll look forward to the pictures that others take with them though.

olegkin

Apparently everybody forgot about hordes of other intrusive street photographers, like Garry Winogrand, or, let's say, Bruce Gilden. Latter was using flash right into people's faces :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcgEnC3bLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RM9KcYEYXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

I wouldn't mind having one, but it's not on the top of my list. Here's the video that Fuji pulled. I don't know what to say about his approach, but the images are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2YzUvHDq0

Pelorus

It makes me think. Firstly it's clear from Garry Winogrand's photos that MP don't matter a damn!! I couldn't photograph like those guys, but that doesn't matter a damn either :ROTFL:

Apparently everybody forgot about hordes of other intrusive street photographers, like Garry Winogrand, or, let's say, Bruce Gilden. Latter was using flash right into people's faces :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcgEnC3bLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RM9KcYEYXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

Quentin_Bargate

Really I should sell everything else and just shoot with a X100V. My life would be less cluttered! So would my mind. Retire the GFX100 to studio and tabletop work and use the X100V, which would replace my X100F, as a travel camera. I did that for a while with the Sigma DP2m and 1, such brilliant cameras, albeit deeply flawed.

The new X100V looks uncannily like a Leica to me, more so than its pedecessors. Anyone else notice the similarity?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Really I should sell everything else and just shoot with a X100V. My life would be less cluttered! So would my mind. Retire the GFX100 to studio and tabletop work and use the X100V, which would replace my X100F, as a travel camera. I did that for a while with the Sigma DP2m and 1, such brilliant cameras, albeit deeply flawed.

The new X100V looks uncannily like a Leica to me, more so than its pedecessors. Anyone else notice the similarity?
I exactly have the same thoughts since the X100V introduction.

I was photographing "Holiday on Ice" today in Vienna with my iPhon 10SMax and I really like the results. I just used the iPhone because easy to carry and simple and while the results are stunning for a phone they would have for sure been much better with the X100V.

Also thinking back to my last vacations where I carried an m43 camera with 2 zoom lenses, most of the really great shots did actually come from around 28-35mm equivalent focal length.

I am again and again coming to the conclusion that for casual and holiday photography the X100V would just be more than enough. This is why I will most probably order one. And use it as my main all around camera from then on.

WRT looking like Leica M - same feeling here, pretty close and with the additional advantage that it has AF and is still much cheaper while even having more resolution and above all a meanwhile excellent AF and AFC.

What is not to like about this camera ....

Last edited:

Tim

Like Peter mentioned abobe this is exactly where I have been going. I had been like this for a while with the Ricoh GR series BUT the Ricoh is sometimes limited too much. I miss the VF either OVF or EVF but the X100V with that WLF option is just too much to pass up. I have used a GR on recent trips to Japan. I took a RX100 IV but it only got used once.

I've followed a lot of your DP2m work and it did work well for you.

PeterA

The XPro cameras are a better answer to the single lens question for me anyway - which is why I was so disappointed in certain aspects of the latest incarnation of the XPro - disappointment that may have to be swallowed anyway - because as I replied to Doug's initial query, and as is evident in both XPro and X100V - you get the amenity of an optical viewfinder as well as an EVF. Nothing stopping anyone just using an excellent 23 or 35 from Fuji - and they are excellent lenses - as a single lens of choice, there is no rule which says one has to have multiple lenses if the camera has that facility is there?

Last edited:

raist3d

I am definitively trying one in store or otherwise. Need to see how good the digital teleconverter does along with AF/operation speed/response.

- Ricardo

Quentin_Bargate

I took delivery today of a silver X100V. First impressions are of an X100F on steroids. The camera appears to be more solid, as if carved from a piece of aluminium. Image quality seems to be step up, but I have not really had enough time to check it out.

What I need to know is when Capture One 20 will support X100V RAW files.

Knorp

I took delivery today of a silver X100V. First impressions are of an X100F on steroids. The camera appears to be more solid, as if carved from a piece of aluminium. Image quality seems to be step up, but I have not really had enough time to check it out.

What I need to know is when Capture One 20 will support X100V RAW files.
It does as of today ...

Capture One 20.0.3
March 3rd, 2020

Capture One 20.0.3 is a service release for Mac and Windows with important bug fixes and added camera and lens support.

Camera Support

Fujifilm
Fujifilm X-T4
Fujifilm X100V​

Quentin_Bargate

Well having tried the X100V for a few days off and on, the Jpegs are very nearly as good as the raw files. I'm slightly blown away by how complete a camera this is.

I have purchased a new small leather carry case to take the X100V and lens adapters I will see how I get on using this travel set up (picture shot with a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip, amazing phone!).

Rand47

Well having tried the X100V for a few days off and on, the Jpegs are very nearly as good as the raw files. I'm slightly blown away by how complete a camera this is.

I have purchased a new small leather carry case to take the X100V and lens adapters I will see how I get on using this travel set up (picture shot with a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip, amazing phone!).

Quentin,

Whose leather case is this? Make, model? I'm very interested. I am just now setting up my X-100V (sold my Merrills to fund it! :) ).

Rand

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin,

Whose leather case is this? Make, model? I'm very interested. I am just now setting up my X-100V (sold my Merrills to fund it! :) ).

Rand
Hi Rand

Here is a link to the bag style

https://www.barbershopbags.com/en/small-messenger-smart-bob-grained-brown-leather_bbs-sb-5.html

Its expensive, but of exceptional quality, in Italian leather. I have only just had mine delivered but I already think it is a perfect choice for the X100V and the two small wide and tele screw in adapters.

Quentin_Bargate

A couple of X100V observations, with a sample picture. lightly tweaked in Capture One 20, (20.0.3 Pro).

This was an in camera jpeg shot in monochrome, along with a RAW file. ISO160, 1/100 sec, F/4, with TCL-X100 II adapter, so equivalent to 50mm in full frame terms.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152830292@N05/49634539357/sizes/o/

First, when I looked at both the jpeg and the Raw in Capture One 20.0.3, although this version of C1 has been updated to recognise X100V files, it was plain that geometric distortion had not been corectred in the raw file as displayed in Capture One whereas the out of camera jpeg had been corrected by the X100V. This is probably because C1 does not know the adapter has been fittted, whereas the X100V reconises the adapter automatically..

The second point is that the camera, with the new 23mm lens and the TCL-X100 II adapter, is very sharp. I added 10 structure and also corrected keystone by -16.83 in C1, no additional sharpening. There appears to be no moire in the fabrics on the chair, a significant benefit I guess of the X trans sensor. The subtle tonal gradations are great. This looks like an excellent monochrome camera.

Having compared out of camera jpegs with raw files, the jpegs are excellent, just as good as the raw files if you get the exposure reasonably right and use the right colour profile.

Quentin_Bargate

First, when I looked at both the jpeg and the Raw in Capture One 20.0.3, although this version of C1 has been updated to recognise X100V files, it was plain that geometric distortion had not been corectred in the raw file as displayed in Capture One whereas the out of camera jpeg had been corrected by the X100V. This is probably because C1 does not know the adapter has been fittted, whereas the X100V reconises the adapter automatically...

An update on this

Raw files remain uncorrected for geometric distortion in C1 despite recognising the camera and the focal length with the adapter fitted. This means that a shot taken with the wide angle adapter WCL-X100 II suffers from barrel distortion, particularly close up. However, the same raw file IS corrected in Camera Raw (and I assume in Lightroom). Given the data identifying the adapter having been used is baked in to the file, this must be an oversight on the part of Phase One.

Another way to check this is to shoot in both RAW and jpeg, and compare the jpeg with the raw file in C1. The in-camera jpeg is corrected, whereas the RAW decoded in C1 is not. The RAW file decoded in Camera RAW is, however, the same as the jpeg - corrected.

So C1 needs a further upgrade properly to decode the X100V raw files shot with one of the two Fuji adapters.

UPDATE: I have found a solution to the geometric distortion issue: select "Manufacturer Profile" from the "Profile" drop down menu. That works perfectly, although the light falloff has to be corrected manually.

Weird that the X100V profile applied by C1 does not correct this automatically.

Last edited:

Tim

A couple of X100V observations, with a sample picture. lightly tweaked in Capture One 20, (20.0.3 Pro).

This was an in camera jpeg shot in monochrome, along with a RAW file. ISO160, 1/100 sec, F/4, with TCL-X100 II adapter, so equivalent to 50mm in full frame terms.

I have looked and looked at your sample BW here as I am quite taken with the subtle BW tones that this X100 makes. While different to the DP2Ms it is kinda of similarly as rich as the Merrill's has its own special charm IMO.

I think this image alone has convinced me to buy. Keen to see some prints from this.