The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X100V

raist3d

Well having tried the X100V for a few days off and on, the Jpegs are very nearly as good as the raw files. I'm slightly blown away by how complete a camera this is.
This is one of the attractions to me- how "complete" it is. I wish it did just two more things
- digital tele-crop *with* raw support like Ricoh GR / Leica Q
- When I tried it, I found I wished the AF was faster.

The later put a stop to me. If I was getting one, I feel I need to get rid of whatever else I have. That said, maybe it would be good to just have/use the Fuji.

- Ricardo

Quentin_Bargate

Wonderful day for a walk, so I took the X100V and the two adapter lenses and enjoyed the spring sun

first and third shots use the wide angle adapter, which converts the 23mm lens (35mm equiv) to a 19mm lens (28mm equiv).

Quentin_Bargate

HI Quentin- what's the ISO and, F-stop and shutter speed for this shot? Just so I get the idea of the strain the camera is dealing with.

thanks,

- Ricardo
I will check and get back to you Riccardo tomorrow. Right now I have been somewhat distracted by events and work!

Quentin_Bargate

Vegetables.

The X100V might not have been designed as a still life or studio camera, but it is perfectly capable of good results if so used, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

A Cornish Cove, using the wide angle adapter, which gives an effective focal length of 28mm, sharp edge to edge..

I really cannot fault this camera. I was alone on the shore, getting some much needed exercise as the lockdown begins to ease.

Processed in Capture One.

Quentin_Bargate

A bit more baking - clockwise it's Pain Viennois, which I made using a sweet dough; epi (type of baguette which is cut to look like an ear of wheat), and home design that looks a little like a fish.

And yes, they taste delicious! :D

X100V, ISO400, F2.5 @ 1/30sec

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

So here are a few current thoughts on the X100V

I remember when the Phase One P25 was king of the pack. It was/is a 22mp medium format back. the P25 sensor was also used in the Mamiya ZD, but it was less well optimised.

Nonetheless, 22mp was state of the art back in the day.

Scroll forward to today, and we have a camera like the Fuji X100V that is a country mile superior - not just higher resolution (a relatively modest by todays standards 26mp), but far lower noise, and supported by software like Capture One 20 that make ISO almost irrelevant up to 1600ISO and has great colour and tools that enable image optimisation with little difficulty (can obviously also be used with that P25, but the point is the absolute quality now available).

My main camera now is the GFX100 but that is a heavy number to carry outdoors. Great results care possible using an X100V "system" comprising the two adapters (so you get the full frame equivalent of 28mm, 35mm and 50mm), a Lee filter set for APS cameras, and a lightweight compact tripod. Not forgetting that there is a 4-stop ND filter built in to the X100V.

You make very few compromises using this set up and can walk around all day with it.

And as I have attempted to show in a couple of shots on this thread, it is not too shabby as a studio or still life camera.

The GFX is king in my domain, but there is not much the X100V cannot tackle if the focal length limitations are understood and accepted.