The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony APS-C Sensor Coming 43 Megapixel

pegelli

I'm sure it will be sold, but who really needs more than 24 MP in APS-C?

I recently acquired a FF camera with 42 MP next to my other cameras that all have 24 MP (APS-C and FF).
For the output sizes I use 24 MP is more than enough and the only effect is that working on 42 MP files takes up more space and slows down my computer.

I would rather see the industry direct their efforts at getting more DR and less noise at high iso's, it's probably a harder sell because it can't be characterised by one simple number but I think it would be more useful for a lot of people.

Elderly

i would rather see the industry direct their efforts at getting more dr and less noise at high iso's,

................................................................ I think it would be more useful for a lot of people.
/\ This

fotoism

My first reaction to the news was: Wow! That's great.

My second reaction was: Wait a minute - wouldn't that mean smaller pixels and thus less low-light performance than a, say, 24mp sensor?

Nonetheless it will be interesting to see how it performs if it ever made it to the X-H2.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Having thought about this new sensor and while 43 MP is definitely a lot for APSC it seems to be the way the industry (Sony) is moving - so this is what Fujifilm gets obviously for their next gen cameras.

For me it is not clear why it always has to be such a high MP increase (with hopefully the same high ISO and DR as the older generation which still has to be seen). But there comes the time when no-one who uses an APSC camera really needs this resolution because they not only want smaller cameras but in many cases also smaller file size.

IMO an increase to around 30MP would have been enough - but then this sensor would not support 8k - and obviously 8k is what many videographers are looking for? I am a photographer and I can't care less for 8k! For me 4k is already more than enough and I simply do not need more and want more!

But this is the way the industry seems to be moving - sigh!

No wonder I am still happy with my Olympus 20MP m43 system - meanwhile EM1.3.

MedicineMan4040

Owning and using Sony a9 and A7Riv I would NOT want 42mpx in an APS-C size sensor UNLESS
there has been a radical improvement in DNR and noise.
The a9 acts immune for example to ISO 5000
6 days in Florida #56 by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr
This same shot with the incredibly pixel dense A7Riv would be most problematic and a challenge to process.
Honestly, with current tech I think even 30mpx for a crop sensor is pushing it.
Robert

Ooops. Forgot why I posted this in the first place. I'm awaiting my first Fuji, an X-e3 arriving tomorrow and an X-T4 hopefully arriving at the end of the month.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Owning and using Sony a9 and A7Riv I would NOT want 42mpx in an APS-C size sensor UNLESS
there has been a radical improvement in DNR and noise.
The a9 acts immune for example to ISO 5000
6 days in Florida #56 by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr
This same shot with the incredibly pixel dense A7Riv would be most problematic and a challenge to process.
Honestly, with current tech I think even 30mpx for a crop sensor is pushing it.
Robert

Ooops. Forgot why I posted this in the first place. I'm awaiting my first Fuji, an X-e3 arriving tomorrow and an X-T4 hopefully arriving at the end of the month.
Even if you (we) do not like that massive increase of MP for APSC I am pretty sure it will happen - just because its is the strategy of Sony and their customers.

For me also the A7R4 with 61MP is complete nonsense, but it exists because Sony wants to show their leadership still with MP count. And BTW Nikon will follow pretty soon with the Z8. Again nonsense IMO.

I would love a modest increase in APSC to around 30MP and FF stay around max. 48MP - these numbers are pretty save WRT todays available technology.

Just my 5 c :cool:

Godfrey

This is a big yawn for me. I don't need a 43 Mpixel APS-C camera. When Leica offers one, if I need a new body, I'll buy it but not for the increased pixel resolution by itself.

G

biglouis

I'm also unsure about a 43mpx X-H2, or similar camera. With the 26mpx X-T3 I can easily get usable photographs all the way up to iso12800 (the latter with well exposed images and judicious use of Topaz DenoiseAI). Although cropability would be useful if it comes at the sacrifice of increased noise at high-iso I can't see the point. In fact, if high megapixels are your bag (baby!) then I think looking at Sony, Nikon, Canon etc full-frame would be a better idea (or indeed the Fuji GFX range).

I like the X-H1 ergos over my X-T3 but I'd be disappointed if a X-H2 makes compromises. If that is the case you might as well just go with the X-T4.

Just my two cents

LouisB