The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX-50R on sale again

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In one way great for those who want one. On the other side I am not a fan of selling by cheapo price. You buy something and one week later it is worth only half the amount. Specially in medium format we want products which are driven by inspiration and quality, and not by cost.
I hate sales. If you don't buy it when the sale is on, you feel like it's too expensive later. If you DO buy it, it's because of pressure. Of course, if you decided independently that that item was just what you wanted and it miraculously was on sale that day, great.

Not that I just bought a Fuji XF 100-400 because it was $500 off, or anything. Nope. :facesmack::facesmack:

Matt

tcdeveau

I hate sales. If you don't buy it when the sale is on, you feel like it's too expensive later. If you DO buy it, it's because of pressure. Of course, if you decided independently that that item was just what you wanted and it miraculously was on sale that day, great.

Not that I just bought a Fuji XF 100-400 because it was $500 off, or anything. Nope. :facesmack::facesmack:

Matt
It seems like the Fuji stuff goes on sale more frequently than not. When I finally sold my Fuji X gear, it was tricky to time my sale to when they were not having a sale.

gurtch

I was using a Pentax 645D with multiple lenses. Because of advancing age, I decided it was too heavy. Then Fuji put the GFX 50R and several lenses on sale for the first time. I sold my 645 stuff, and went to Fuji. The GFX 50R was exactly half the weight of the 645D (the Fuji lenses are, however, generally heavier, some what off setting the weight advantage). Because of the sale, I purchased the body, 32-64mm lens and the 23mm lens. Then recently the 50mm went on sale at half price, and I picked that up. Same with the 100-200mm lens. So I lucked out and got the whole kit at sale prices. I might add the images from the medium format sensor and Fuji lenses are the very best and sharpest I have ever obtained, and I have been seriously involved in photography for over 60 years.
Stay safe
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

DougDolde

This sale may just be a trick to sell lenses. Who is going to be satisfied with
one 50mm lens? Slightly wider than normal about a 39-40mm eqivalent. Whatever they give up on the body and 50mm they'll get back on other lens sales

Then again maybe this suits the one camera/one lens pursuit. Zoom with your feet, stitch for wide

Last edited:

biglouis

It is a great camera, I love mine, and I do not begrudge anyone getting into the system for a lower price (although my body was a factory refurb, along with the 45/2.8, so I got it for good price anyway).

One word of caution. A MF camera is a totally different beast to, say, a high megapixel 35mm FF camera. With the exception of the GFX100 do not even attempt to shoot anything that moves beyond a slow crawl. For event work I am still using my XF system even though the IQ of the GFX50R completely trounces it. The point is that MF cameras are for contemplative, still life, portraiture or street where the subject is poised rather than in motion.

I only state this because you see so many posts by people buying into the Fuji MF system and then complaining about AF, low continuous frame rate etc etc.

I do like walking around with my GFX50R but I only do so to capture urban landscape and not urban street life.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

MGrayson

It seems like the Fuji stuff goes on sale more frequently than not. When I finally sold my Fuji X gear, it was tricky to time my sale to when they were not having a sale.
Oh, true. I bought my body and first group of lenses at list, and then bought the rest of my lenses at one of the big sales.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
The GF50mm F3.5 is also on sale for crazy price of US$499 (this inexpensive lens is one of the best in the GF lineup - it is a true gem, in my view beats the GF45 and GF63 by wide margin). While paired with the GFX 50R it is a perfect all-around, travel combo.

Don Libby

Dante whispered in my ear and the rest is history. Ordered the 50R to replace a XT3 that I could never quite like enough. The I feel a tapping on my shoulder and the next thing I know I also order the GF50 lens.

Go figure...

iiiNelson

I agree that Fuji stuff seems to be on sale for more of the time than not over the last few years. In any case these are great deals for anyone thinking about getting into a Digital MF system.

Dante whispered in my ear and the rest is history. Ordered the 50R to replace a XT3 that I could never quite like enough. The I feel a tapping on my shoulder and the next thing I know I also order the GF50 lens.

Go figure...
I'm really liking this Don Libby guy

--Dante

MGrayson

Go figure...
Try the XH1. Much better handling. You can keep both systems!

APS-C ... Dante's little brother. :ROTFL:

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member

Go figure...
Fantastic combo! You will really enjoy it. Since I started shooting medium format, my photography has become slower, more articulate and purposeful. And I finally understood what Vincent Lions meant when he wrote “loss of interest in other platforms may occur.” :)