The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100 - Focusing Using a ND Filter

rga

OK, so this is something I was able to figure out on the 50s, but cannot on the 100. What I’m trying to do is to focus (auto then manually adjust focus) using highly dense (say, 10-20 stops) ND filter.

To do so the LCD screen has to be bright enough (i.e, the sensor had to emulate receiving enough light, even in magnified mode, for the AF to see contrast. With the 50s the solution was incredibly odd: you had to have the exposure EV bar vertically on the left of the LCD; even the Fuji tech.help line couldn’t figure it out. I happened to stumble across it.

I’m not finding it on the 100 however. I’ve tried lots of variations and no love. Has anyone been able to do this? I hope I’m explaining it clearly.
TIA for any solution!

Rand47

OK, so this is something I was able to figure out on the 50s, but cannot on the 100. What I’m trying to do is to focus (auto then manually adjust focus) using highly dense (say, 10-20 stops) ND filter.

To do so the LCD screen has to be bright enough (i.e, the sensor had to emulate receiving enough light, even in magnified mode, for the AF to see contrast. With the 50s the solution was incredibly odd: you had to have the exposure EV bar vertically on the left of the LCD; even the Fuji tech.help line couldn’t figure it out. I happened to stumble across it.

I’m not finding it on the 100 however. I’ve tried lots of variations and no love. Has anyone been able to do this? I hope I’m explaining it clearly.
TIA for any solution!

Should be very similar to 50s.

Put the EC button in “switch” mode (rather than press and hold).
Assign EC to the rear command wheel.
In the menu for EC indication in the viewfinder / LCD choose the vertical bar as opposed to the “digital” type display (not sure why this would make any difference).

Rand

rga

Should be very similar to 50s.

Put the EC button in “switch” mode (rather than press and hold).
Assign EC to the rear command wheel.
In the menu for EC indication in the viewfinder / LCD choose the vertical bar as opposed to the “digital” type display (not sure why this would make any difference).

Rand
Thanks Rand.
The “EC” button = exposure compensation?
I don’t know what switch mode is...
The rear command wheel is?? There is no “Wheel” on the 100. Toggle switch?
Thank you for any clarification.
Bob

Rand47

Thanks Rand.
The “EC” button = exposure compensation?
I don’t know what switch mode is...
The rear command wheel is?? There is no “Wheel” on the 100. Toggle switch?
Thank you for any clarification.
Bob
Yes, EC = Exposure Compensation.

Here is the button on the GFX 100:

And here's where it talks about assigning it to the rear command dial (sorry I said "wheel" above):

Here's how you set the EC Button to be an On/Off switch:

Wrench > Button/Dial Setting > Expo. Comp. Button Setting > On/Off Switch

This will set the EC button to act like a switch. Push it once, it invokes EC function. (I just leave mine "ON") Push it again, it turns EC function off.

And here's how you choose the "scale" for EC to be displayed in the EVF and LCD:

Wrench > Screen Settings > Disp. Custom Setting > Exp. Comp. (Scale) (You also have a check box for "digits" - which I prefer.)

What this will get you, once the EC button is a "switch" and you've turned it on, and you've set the rear command dial to Exp. Comp. (should be the default or look on Page 8), is that anytime you rotate the rear command dial you'll be adjusting the Exposure Compensation.

Just FYI, I'm an aperture priority shooter 95% of the time and I'm set up this way as my camera default setup.

Best,
Rand

M

mjr

My apologies if I'm not understanding the question correctly and I don't have my 50s anymore so feel free to ignore this but I don't understand what it has to do with exposure compensation.

I feel you just need to turn off exposure preview, maybe it's not that simple, but sounds just the same as when using strobes, you don't want to have the evf or screen showing what it thinks the exposure will be, just a fully lit scene for you to compose with. If not already tried, turn off preview EXP./WB in manual mode in the menu, I used to do this a lot when switching to strobes so assigned it to a button and it's just a simple press.

Again, sorry if I am completely missing the point.

Mat