The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buy and Sell Forum

DougDolde

Interesting how there zero Fuji GFX of any model for sale but a lot of Phase One gear. That ought to tell you something

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I see a lot of movement away from both DigiBack AND SLR format cams now that we have viable mirrorless alternatives. Mirrorless is a smaller footprint and in MF territory that can be a significant benefit in itself; add to that the fact a plethora of alt-manufactured lenses can be adapted to them and you have a near digital Nirvana. Even Leica seems to be losing ground to mirrorless MF and they held their niche for quite a few years. Finally, you have quality FF digital now up in the 50MP territory, and with some newly designed lenses for those platforms, IQ has overlapped into entry-level MF territory at a fraction of the cost, and still smaller footprints. Hard to overlook that...

I do think the highest MP and/or specialized digibacks will remain in the tech-cam scene, but that market is specialized and requires some added dedication to the capture process -- it is the contemporary version of the past large-format-film/view-camera crowd...

Reactions: jsf

DougDolde

I sold a D850 and bought the GFX-50R with a 50mm f3.5 lens. I think the kit is still on sale for $4K. The quality over the D850 is noticeably better and the lens is amazing. No CA like I had with Nikkor G lenses.

It sounds weird to only have one lens but I'm finding it quite versatile. It's freeing not to have to choose a focal length. Stitching for wider works well.

I most always shoot on a tripod, 2 second delay. The flip up screen is great for composing I never look thru the viewfinder

It's as good as the IQ180 was a bit less resolution but increased DR with the CMOS sensor. Not to mention an order of magnitude less money and a very small and light kit

I think Fuji owns medium format now. Especially with the GFX-100 at $10K.