Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monument Valley B&W Special

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monument Valley B&W Special

Been working with this image all morning and came up with some really nice B&W prints from it. So this image is 15 x19 including signature printed on Velvet Art Paper. I am going to limit this to 10 prints. I will ship in roller tube for free at a price of 125 dollars. International shipping is extra.

Image details shot in January 2009 in Monument Valley at sunset 5:21 Pm with Phase One P25+ back with 150 D lens at F13. Hope you can find a way to put it on your wall too enjoy. Thanks Guy

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Monument Valley B&W Special

Beautiful image Guy. I'll take one. PM on it's way now.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome Gary. I'm very proud that it will make your wall. This just made my day
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My thanks to you and Jack for a great idea and making this all possible. I've decided to pull together a collection of prints from GetDPI members for display in my home. They will join a collection of favorite prints that I've received in print exchanges over the last 10+ years.

Your print is my first from GetDPI. I know the beauty of that 9 micron sensor capture will shine thru in a special way.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks awesome to be honest. I always liked that back and man does it show in this print

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking capture Guy, it's nice to see people making superior B&W prints from digital files.......the location doesn't hurt either

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would enjoy comparing this image printed on both the Velvet Fine Art matte and a fine art Baryta paper.

So if you decide to print this image on a Baryta paper someday, such as the Harman FB Al Gloss, I would love to purchase one of those too. Just let me know if/when one becomes available (in the same size print). I realize this set is limited to 10 prints and I'm assuming all of those will be on the VFA paper. I know from experience that printing the same image on a different paper can involve quite a bit of "tweaking" to get it right.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 24th September 2010 at 15:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will order some Baryta and gives it a try. But this set is on Velvet Fine Art for this series which actually looks really good. I did a lot of tweaking to get this just right. I also had another sale as well. What I do like is the Epson Exhibition Paper which Jack and I used on the small print set. I'm actually starting to collect different paper to keep in stock and try different things. Lot more to it than just sticking paper in the box I am finding out more and more. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To me, the print is the culmination of everything I enjoy about photography. While, I'm thankful for the opportunity to view and share images electronically, the print will always be my favored media for viewing a photographic image.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this print. I've only been to Monument Valley once (almost 30 years ago). Seeing this print on my wall will be a welcome reminder that I need to get back to MV again soon.

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm only on my netbook but there is some georgous tonality to this image with composition which really takes advantage of the flow of the tones.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ben have to say it really prints up nice. The tonal range is what makes it

Post Thanks / Like

Payment sent. Thanks Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank You. I have 6 left in this print version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, Guy, I was able to unwrap my Monument Valley print yesterday afternoon and I must say it's a beautiful piece of work indeed. To you and the other masters residing here on the forum making your prints so easily available, a hearty thanks.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mike let it sit out a day or two and you could also reverse roll it on the tube. Make sure you protect the surface when you do. This paper has some curl to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got Exhibition Fiber in if anyone wants this surface instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeScecina View Post
    Hey, Guy, I was able to unwrap my Monument Valley print yesterday afternoon and I must say it's a beautiful piece of work indeed. To you and the other masters residing here on the forum making your prints so easily available, a hearty thanks.
    Mike
    My print arrived today Guy and I want to echo Mike's comment.......it is a beautiful image and print! Really outstanding. It has a 3 dimensional look that I did not expect. Whether its from that 9 micron sensor, the optics or your processing and printing technique I don't know....but it's pretty darn amazing!

I've seen many fine prints over the past several years. Your print is right up there with the best of them.

I may not be the first, but I doubt I will be the last, to order one of these on the Exhibition Fiber paper also. PM on it's way to you soon.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Gary. Got your order with Exhibition Fiber which is also really really nice looking. I think 5 left on this one and I also do have this of Cathedral Rock outside Monument Valley. That is really nice as well if someone wants this also. I will go Exhibition Fiber also. I bought 3 17 inch rolls of it just for this type of printing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thanks Gary. Got your order with Exhibition Fiber which is also really really nice looking.
    Thanks Guy. I sent you a Paypal just a few minutes ago.

That Cathedral Rock image is stunning too. I'd better hold off on that one for awhile. Too many B&W prints showing up at my door in one week might cause a little tension in the household. I'd better pick out a couple of color prints before I buy any more B&W (which are my favorites).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes you need a sprinkle of color. LOL

You do realize this is in color also. LOL

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

The image you have here was taken while we were on a workshop with you. If you remember I was standing very close by with my D3X and the Zeiss 100mm lens........a very capable 35mm system.

I post my image here because I think it is valuable to compare the best (or very nearly so) 35mm to your Phase system. It shows for sure that the dynamic range of your system is greater than the D3X (which is not shabby) and the range of tonalities superior as well.

Hope you don't mind that I showed this comparison. If so, just delete it and I won't be offended

Best

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No I think it is great Woody thanks for posting that. MF is pretty special looking but the D3X looks pretty good.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The difference seems more Guy's processing to be honest. In both Guy's and Jack's B&W images we see a tonal range 'look' which is very much the look of a specific take on the processing. I'd assumed this but when I saw the colour version I knew it for sure. The ability to stretch the tones from one end of a contrasty histogram to the other but still maintain even, uniform and gradual tonal transitions is a talent which they share and aparently teach as well on the workshops.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ben and you are correct , we are very good at raw processing and printing to be honest. This is what we teach. Okay I am blushing now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    The difference seems more Guy's processing to be honest. In both Guy's and Jack's B&W images we see a tonal range 'look' which is very much the look of a specific take on the processing. I'd assumed this but when I saw the colour version I knew it for sure. The ability to stretch the tones from one end of a contrasty histogram to the other but still maintain even, uniform and gradual tonal transitions is a talent which they share and aparently teach as well on the workshops.
    Hey Ben

I have no doubt about Guy and Jack's abilities having been on three workshops with them. So it may be more meaningful as a comparison to have Guy work on my raw file to get it to his standards and then compare to the AFD he was using that day. I submit this only because it is rare that you have two photographers, working with their favorite gear, shooting beside each other in the same light on the same day at the same time. Given the price difference between the two systems, if the D3X + 100mm gets really close to the Phase system it would open up a new way for budget constrained photographers to get very close to the big boys

JMHO

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to have the Raw . Btw Terry and Woody are the only ones that went to that area to shoot that. I saw that shot from the road and turned the whole entourage around to go get it. I was driving and scouting bad combination. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to have the Raw . Btw Terry and Woody are the only ones that went to that area to shoot that. I saw that shot from the road and turned the whole entourage around to go get it. I was driving and scouting bad combination. LOL
    I had too long a lens on the camera and had to do the shot as a multi shot stitch. Guy, waited and got the light to behave perfectly. I can tell you side by side the MF files are much nicer than my A900 files from the same scene. Post processing or no post processing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben

I have done some additional raw converter work and what follows is the result. I believe the additional tonality achieved by Guy is due in part at least to the 16bit conversion depth. The 14 bit files show less subtle transitions. I may be wrong about this but I am now working almost exclusivity with the S2 and this is one of the areas I see very noticeable improvements (along with better dynamic range etc)

So I am finished as this is about as good as I can get the file. I hope Guy will allow me to send him the raw file to see what he can get from his methods and from developing in Capture One (This one of mine was developed in Lightroom 3.2)

All the best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How you getting along with s2 . Love to see some shots. That cam should fit you well

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How you getting along with s2 . Love to see some shots. That cam should fit you well
    Guy

I love the S2. It does indeed fit me well.

Sadly at this point I only have the 70mm. I am looking forward to getting the 35 (should be real soon) and the 120 to complete my kit. I also have a third party adapter for V lenses to the body and I am shooting my 100 2.0 with that setup. Very nice to have this option while waiting for the lenses from Leica.

I am going to send you the raw file from Church Rock so you can have a go with it.

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    My print arrived today Guy and I want to echo Mike's comment.......it is a beautiful image and print! Really outstanding. It has a 3 dimensional look that I did not expect. Whether its from that 9 micron sensor, the optics or your processing and printing technique I don't know....but it's pretty darn amazing!

I've seen many fine prints over the past several years. Your print is right up there with the best of them.

I may not be the first, but I doubt I will be the last, to order one of these on the Exhibition Fiber paper also. PM on it's way to you soon.

Gary
    Gary print on its way and a little color present for your wife is in there also. Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I have 4 more in this series with either paper choice. Folks trust me you need one of these prints. The quality is amazing

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want to see what you do with Woody's file, rather interested in seeing the difference between a D3X and a MF back if it's apparent even in such small web jpgs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want to see what you do with Woody's file, rather interested in seeing the difference between a D3X and a MF back if it's apparent even in such small web jpgs.
    Ben

I sent the file to Guy yesterday via YouSendIt.com. I too am very anxious to see the final results

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using C1 would in itself make a huge difference: it's simply not the best tool for the D3X's files. In fact, short of highly tuned custom profiles, it consistently does a terrible job compared to either NX2 or LR/ACR.

(note: which is not true with D700 // D3 // D2X files)

Anyhow, Guy's job on his original photo is terrific, and not only as far as post processing goes. It's a beautiful photo, and the print looks absolutely awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Ben

I sent the file to Guy yesterday via YouSendIt.com. I too am very anxious to see the final results

Woody
    Woody I did not get that bud. Hmmm

use guymancuso at me.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody I did not get that bud. Hmmm

use guymancuso at me.com
    Sorry Guy

I will resend using YouSendIt and hope for the best. If you don't get it again, I will put it on a DVD and send that to you by overnight mail

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it and I will start a thread on it once I get them all ready. I will do default look and than final on both

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary print on its way and a little color present for your wife is in there also. Enjoy
    Thanks Guy! Really looking forward to seeing this image on Exhibition Fiber and I KNOW my wife will enjoy seeing one of your color prints. I do very little color printing myself.....which now and then, she laments.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In all fairness neither camera fault or Woody's but the light is missing on this frame. I just don't have the highlights to work with. The P30 is by far sharper and I sharpened the D3x file and the tonal range is much better. The D3x is pretty flat looking and just the sun was in and out and might have been missed here. It was a fleeting moment with the sun. Honestly I would not look much into this the D3x is a good cam but this file does not exactly match. I did it both in ACR and C1 no difference really and all the B&W stuff was in Cs5. I did a lot of burning and dodging to to get it close but we need light. Like to try this again someday and see how they do when it is more even with light.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy,

I'd like one each of Monument Valley and Cathedral Rock (the post #18 version), B&W, on your choice of paper. I'm not familiar enough with the different papers to know which would provide better tonal range.

Lovely work.

PM sent. Thanks.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Leigh I will use Exhibition Fiber . Very nice tonal range with it. I have just a few left in this series if anyone is interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more sold of Monument Valley. Have 2 left I believe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Gary. Got your order with Exhibition Fiber which is also really really nice looking. I think 5 left on this one and I also do have this of Cathedral Rock outside Monument Valley. That is really nice as well if someone wants this also. I will go Exhibition Fiber also. I bought 3 17 inch rolls of it just for this type of printing.

Hey Guy

I believe this rock is called "Church Rock", not "Cathedral Rock."

Woody Spedden

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Do you still have the first picture for sale, I like to buy a copy.
    Best,
    _______
    Manouch

Post Thanks / Like

excellent image Guy; you are right though, the MF does have a different feel to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do have these for sale still. MF is great why I am still shooting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will change the name to church rock. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Manouch , printing it now