The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Passage of Time, a limited offering:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have decided to offer this image in a limited edition of 10 prints. This edition has a 15" x 20" image size with 1" border printed on 17" x 22" Exhibition Fiber paper. Prints will be hand-signed and numbered in the lower right-hand corner of the print border.

Price is $125 per print shipped US, Paypal preferred.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You got it Terry!

Since you are local and can pick it up in person, I will mount it and mat it at no extra charge. (I'll single-mat with plain white, archival alpha-rag mat, 4" borders for a final frame out size of 23x28.) In fact, I'll offer the same free mounting and matting option to anybody who is able to pick the print up locally in Los Altos, CA.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Ben! (And since we do teach this stuff on our workshops, it's probably a good thing we know something about it!)

Ben Rubinstein

What is happening on the floor there? seems to be flowing almost. BTW did you ever think of calling this pic 'the burning bush'? :D Rare to see an original pic in those caves, this is only the 2nd I've ever seen the other being Alain Briots which was original at the time though much copied these days.

bensonga

Beautiful image Jack and I'm sure the print will be too. I'll take one.

Great to have a B&W from both you and Guy to start off my collection of prints from GetDPI members!

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ben and others, below is the back story on that image and why the sandy floor looks like that --- but first, I didn't name that particular image "Burning Bush" because I already have this one I call "Burning Bush" :)D):

Back story for "Passage of Time":

This shot was made in June of 1998, early in the morning. At that time, I was shooting film and this particular image was made with a Mamiya RZ67 and 50mm lens. The film used was original Fuji Provia, nominally rated at ISO 100. However, as with most tranny emulsions from that time, Provia suffered pretty significant reciprocity effects -- meaning that at very long (or very short) exposures, the rated film speed slows down significantly AND requires filtration to achieve correct color balance. This particular section of Upper Antelope Slot Canyon is very dark to begin with, and darker still due to the relatively low angle of the Sun not shining directly through the ceiling slot. Anyway, the resultant reciprocity reduced the effective ISO to about 12, and then the strong warming filter sucked up another stop or so for a net of ISO 6, so this exposure ended up being 6 *minutes* at f10.

Now to the etherial looking or ghosted sand on the floor. The slots are open to the public, so at any given time you can have none, a few or several other people in the canyon with you, and no real way to prevent them from entering your images unless you point the camera up. The upside is that most motion is not captured in a frame if it is present for less than 1/8th the total exposure. In this case I had maybe 8 people walk through this image as I was exposing it, yet the only static evidence of their passage was their overlapping footprints left in the sand.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We have then also . Check our 10 samples on the other thread and we can print larger for sure. All these images are MF and will go the size of a house. LOL

We will print those on Exhibition Fiber we both just got shipments in of that paper and color looks awesome on it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've sold a few of these prints, but as of now still have 6 available.

bensonga

Hi Jack. Your print arrived here in Alaska safe and sound on Wednesday.....it's a real beauty! Looking forward to having these prints from you and Guy hanging on my walls.

Thanks again!

Gary

Ben Rubinstein

Print arrived a while back, I just got to it for the first time yesterday as I've been away.

Firstly Jack rolls his prints beautifully, really nicely packed. The inkjet printing quality is superb, first inkjet print I've ever seen that hasn't made me hate inkjet all the more so and for me that's really saying something!

The 'look' of the image made me pine for film all over again. Just so much more 'real' and organic than digital with films lesser OTT DR and clinical sharpness. Feels more alive and less mechanical if that makes any sense.

This is an image that begs to have a decent hanging. It need light on it, specifically aimed right at it to bring out all the subtle shadow tonality that is there but as with all low key images, can decend to gunge if hung in shadow and obscurity.

Great image, if you haven't bought one yet, don't wait until they're all gone!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Ben, and yes it has a lot of low key detail and does need light on it to see into the deep shadows! I could print it opened up, but then it loses a lot of it's mysterious, etherial quality, and hence loses it's mood if I do...