The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alaska Rarefied Light Exhibit Prints

bensonga

Hi folks. As some of you know, I love to print. I've participated in monthly print exchanges since 2004. I now coordinate monthly B&W and bi-monthly Color print exchanges. I really enjoy printing, viewing prints and sharing my prints with others....possibly even more than I enjoy actually taking photographs these days.

However, there's no getting around the fact that 40 years after I took my first photograph, I am just an amateur photographer. I've only sold one print in my entire life....which happened to be the first print I ever submitted to a juried photography exhibit (the 2006 All Alaska Rarefied Light Photography Exhibit) and it was a complete surprise to me. I've subsequently been fortunate enough to have two additional prints accepted in the annual Alaska (AK) RL exhibit (2007 and 2008). I didn't have the nerve to enter the 2009 and 2010 exhibits....I figured that "three strikes and you're out" might also work the other way.

As you know, I tend to ramble on, but I will try to get to the point now. I'm offering to anyone who might be interested, each of my three Alaska Rarefield Light prints from the 2006, 2007 and 2008 exhibits in 8.5x11 inch size, printed on my choice of a Baryta type paper (most likely Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, using my Epson 3880) for the following prices, which will include USPS Priority Mail postage in the Letter size Flat Rate envelope (US only):

1 print of your choice: $15
2 prints of your choice: $20
All 3 prints: $25

My pricing rationale is as follows: $5 for a single USPS Flat Rate envelope postage, $5 for my time to assemble and mail a set of prints (whether 1, 2 or 3 prints doesn't matter), $5 per print for materials. Payment via Paypal only to bensonga-at-gci-dot-net.

Obviously, I'm not in this to make money. I enjoy printing and would like to share a few of my prints with the folks I've come to know here at GetDPI, just as I share my prints with participants in the monthly print exchanges. With six months of an Alaska winter just around the corner (it snowed here last weekend), prime printing season is about to begin for me. If you do order a print or two (or three), please be patient with me re delivery dates...I will be fitting this into my work schedule etc. ...but I will do my best to mail prints within two weeks of the order date (if there are any orders).

Here are the three images I am offering to print for you:

2006 AK RL print: Ship Creek, Alaska, Large Grey Tank (Canon D60, digital)

2007 AK RL print: Minneapolis Diner No Smoking Section (Graphic View 4x5, film)

2008 AK RL print: Anchorage Skyline from Ship Creek Junk Yard (Hasselblad 501CM, film)

If you would like to know more about these images, I will be happy to provide the "back story". Surprisingly enough, the one print here which received the most attention, including a write up in the local newspaper, was the 2008 image of the Anchorage skyline....not the usual scenic photo from Alaska. I was pleased, because now, when my wife says "Why do you take pictures of that junk?", I can just pull out the clipping from the Anchorage Daily News. ;)

I hope you enjoy the images and I look forward to sharing my prints with some of you here at GetDPI.

All the best,

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gary, what's your paypal? I'll take one of the "No Smoking Section" prints.

bensonga

Heck are those prices paying your ink and paper costs?
Hi Ben,

Yes, I believe so. About 90 cents a sheet for Letter size IFGS and I think the ink costs for a single Letter size print, using my Epson 3880, are nominal.

I'm offering these prints for what are essentially my costs because I am simply an amateur photographer who enjoys sharing his prints with others. Plus, in all seriousness, I've got to find ways to keep busy during the long, dark Alaskan winters.

Of course, if someone wanted a larger size print, I would need to charge a bit more for paper/ink costs and postage. Mailing Letter size prints with the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes is just so easy, so this was my preferred route for an initial offering.

Gary

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I have long admired the "No Smoking Section" photo, since you first posted it.
All the same here, Ben. It is a terrific photo.

Would you consider mailing one of these prints overseas?
(needless to say, i'll pay the USPS fee - that size should be ok as "priority letter")

bensonga

All the same here, Ben. It is a terrific photo.

Would you consider mailing one of these prints overseas?
(needless to say, i'll pay the USPS fee - that size should be ok as "priority letter")
Thanks Corlan. Yes, I would be happy to mail a Letter size print overseas. I do that on a regular basis for the print exchanges I coordinate. We have regular participants from India, Norway and the UK. The cost for a Letter size USPS Priority Flat Rate envelope is about $13.....so if you wanted a single print (No Smoking Section?), the total cost would be $23.

Gary

bensonga

By the way, if anyone wants multiple copies of a single print, just let me know. $5 per print (as noted in my initial post) plus $5 for USPS Priority Mail shipping and $5 for my time to assemble the prints and mail them (regardless of how many prints you want in a single mailer).

The No Smoking Section print might make a nice gift to friends or for your office to reminds folks in a subtle way, that the location where the print is hanging is a designated "No Smoking" area. How's that for innovative marketing? :D

I can fit about 10 Letter size prints in the USPS Flat Rate envelope.

I will be putting each print in a clear archival sleeve (from Clearbags.com) and protecting the print(s) inside the mailer with stiff cardboard or a stiff plastic folder. This seems to work pretty well for the print exchanges.

Gary

bensonga

Got it Corlan...thank you! I will be printing this weekend and try to get the prints for all orders I've received by then, in the mail before Monday.

Gary

bensonga

Prints are in the mail for Jack, Cindy and Corlan. My thanks to each of you! I had a fun and productive weekend at the printer. I sure love that 3880....much better than my old 2400 or 2200 (no more paper jams).

I got a little carried away, as I often do.....so each of you will receive 3 prints (not necessarily the AK RL prints above). I hope you enjoy them!

Gary

bensonga

If you were to ask my wife, she'd tell you I am hopeless when it comes to keeping secrets or surprises......but I won't say who's getting which prints.

I hope you like B&W....no color in this batch of prints.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gary,

I just received the prints and they are super! I hope to get "No Smoking" framed and hung next week. Thanks!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Gary,

I just received the prints and they are super! I hope to get "No Smoking" framed and hung next week. Thanks!

Yes, they are all very nice, Gary. I didn't see this thread till now, so I did have a surprise.:bugeyes: I can't wait to get them on the wall.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Late, late, very late i am. :eek:
Gary your prints were well received... carefully printed and extremely well packed for shipping. Many thanks for the extras, in fact it was great to find the 07MW train print in there as an unexpected bonus, definitely one that i'd have ordered from you down the line anyhow. Thanks!

bensonga

Thanks Corlan.....I'm glad the prints arrived safely and you like them.

There were no takers for my second batch, so I haven't tried a third round. Guess I've already exhausted my limited "portfolio" of images with any monetary value. I'm sure glad I don't have to make a living from my photography.....I'd fall into the starving artist category in a matter of days, not weeks or months! :bugeyes:

Gary