The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back + 205TCC

PSon

Al,
BTW 2000 FCW is a great camera often overlooked by new comer but not knowledgeable Hasselblad users like you.
Son

atanabe

One of the great things with the CFV MF solution is that it can work with ANY 500 series going back to the 500C and all of the lenses to boot! You can get into some serious MF digital for less than $10K as prices of used Hasselblad lenses are very affordable.

robmac

Son,

I don't think I'll be doing any 'teaching' here - more learning followed by my 2 cents worth ;> Looking fwd to the 110 getting here.

Just now have to decide something in the wide-end. Contemplating a Leica 28/2.8 Ver2 -- or going with the much cheaper CZ 28 and putting difference into one of the other lenses on your FM MF list of a slightly longer FL. Something on the wide end with a floating element would be ideal.

I can see myself getting a V unit or Contax 645 at some point and having glass that would work on both them (with an adapter if need be) and on a 1ds2 would be nice.

I like what the the 1Ds2's 24x36mm sensor and its 9mu x 9mu light buckets deliver (using alt glass), so an entry-level used MFDB would keep me in that pixel pitch range -- with more real estate and no AA filter.

Am also a little reluctant to put any meaningful $$$ back into R glass, as good as the 28V2 is, at this juncture unless the deal is good because I do expect an influx of R glass on market in latter part of year depressing prices.

That being said, who knows what we'll all be saying this time next year.

fotografz

The only time that the cable to the lens X socket is needed when you use: 1) the C shutter on the lens (C, CF, CFi, and CFE) and 2) using the digital back on the 500 series cameras.

Son
This is not correct.

No sync cord is needed with the 500 series cameras. The back is activated mechanically with the film back pin. All you need to do is set which camera you are using in the CFV menu. 500, SWC, etc.

fotografz

Arjuna,
Actually the question is directed at the regular 503 CW or any other 500 series camera. The 503CWD do not need the cable and thus if the person already have the digital purchased with the limited edition 503CWD then they would not asked the question.
Best Regards,
-Son
Son, also not to be contradictory, but this is NOT correct. The regular 503CW or any 500 series camera as well as the SWC do NOT need any cords at all.

The back works on these bodies as they are, without any ancillary cords. The Limited Edition 503CW is exactly the same as any 503CW, except it has a Chrome accented winder CWD name plate, and a commemorative salute to Victor Hasselblad with his signature.

robmac

Marc,

Great links - especially the hasselbladinfo forum (a site I have been visiting far too often for my own good of late) one. There is something appealing to moi about shooting an older style mechanical camera like a V with a simple 16+MP back. I find most DSLR bodies to day have far too many options/in-camera tweaking ability you pay for yet never use.

Query if you ever get a chance: How do you find the CFV vs. the older Kodak unit?

D

DougDolde

Is the finder shown metered? Also can the back be used on a view camera with the proper Hasselblad mounting plate?

fotografz

Rob, the CFV is a 16 bit digital back, the Kodak was/is a 12 bit. Firmware/Software upgrades have continually improved the CVF in a bunch of areas (most notably higher IQ ISO 400 ), the Kodak is no longer supported ... it is what it is. The Kodak Proback Plus for the V mount requires a sync cord from the back to the lens flash sync port, the CFV does not. The CFV is a Firewire 800 tether (faster transfer rate), the Kodak is Firewire 400.

The CFV looks nicer : -)

PSon

Thanks Marc, Al, and Arjuna for making the corrections with the information regarding to the 500 series system. This joint information allows the next owner more information than I got by myself.

The kit is sold.

Best Regards,
-Son