Site Sponsors

Thread: FS: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back + 205TCC

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FS: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back + 205TCC

For sale is my hardly used (currently 2K shutter counts) Hasselblad CFV 16meg digital back along with the modified Hasselblad 205 TCC.

1. Hasselblad CFV Digital Back
    Condition: mint
    Price: $7500.00

2. Hasselblad 205 TCC modified for the digital back
    Condition: mint
    Price: $4000
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: FS: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back + 205TCC

I will include the 80 mm FE lens if both item are bought. The condition of the 80 mm FE lens is mint.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son,

could you send me or post some photographs - I am interested.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    Sorry for the quick poor photos here. Will post better image at a latter time. Here are some photos. Also the 2 batteries are included and will last you a long time.
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 45 degree Prism is also included; this is a really great deal. The 110 FE is sold to Jack and not part of the package. The 80 mm FE which is not in the picture is part of the package only if the whole kit is bought by the same person. The condition of the 80 mm FE is also mint like new.
    Last edited by PSon; 31st March 2008 at 14:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is the package with the Zeiss Planar T* 80 mm FE lens in mint like new condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son, do F lenses work on the 205 or do they have to be FE?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son,

thank you posting the shots - looks good.

A couple of questions please:

1. Will this back work on any 500 series camera ( eg 500C ) ; and
    2. Will this camera take a CFE lens like the latest 120 Makro Planar

I believe the crop factor is 1.6X?

Pete
    Last edited by PeterA; 31st March 2008 at 15:22. Reason: extra detail

DougDolde

Is a cable to the lens X socket needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, that looks sweet. ;>

You may all know this already, but this site is a sweet Hassy resource re: some of your questions.

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...ras/index.html

The 203FE is based on the 205TCC platform which appears compatible with all Hassy bayonet-mount lenses -FE or otherwise. It also appears as if the 205TCC and FE lens line were introduced at the same time.

I would assume, that re: a CFE it's a simple matter of cocking the shutter and locking it open in F - same as you would if used on a Canon with an adapter. So, no pc cable needed as it is a focal plane shutter body.

Son (or Peter) - your thoughts on the 80/2.8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Son, do F lenses work on the 205 or do they have to be FE?
    Hi Jack,
    All of the Hasselblad lens will work on the 205 (excluding the rare 1000 series lens which is very old and nothing to write home). The FE allow you to have communication with the lens. For example, the 205 TCC has a spot Zone metering which is the best accurate reflective meter I have ever used. I zone into the green grass for 18% grey, the white dress of the bride and push the blue arrow button up to zone 7, the black suit on the groom and zone it down to 4 and shoot away. I eventually learned how to see colors in black and white and the shade of grey. With such knowledge, I am able to shoot very well. The FE lens allow you to use these metering function effectively on the 202 FA, 203 FE and 205 TCC/FCC.

Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Son,

thank you posting the shots - looks good.

A couple of questions please:

1. Will this back work on any 500 series camera ( eg 500C ) ; and
    2. Will this camera take a CFE lens like the latest 120 Makro Planar

I believe the crop factor is 1.6X?

Pete
    Pete,
    1. The digital back CFV will work on your 500 series cameras and the 555 ELD, 553 ELX and etc via the cable which is in the photos. However, when you have the 205TCC I do not know why you want to use the 500 series anymore since on the 205 TCC you can use the C, CF, CFi and CFE lens effectively like the 500 series camera with flash sync up to 1/500 s via turning the shutter ring to C (stands for Leaf Shutter). When you use Focal Plane Shutter on the C, CF, and CFi lens via turning switching the lens shutter to F (F stands for focal plane shutter which is built inside the camera). Notice the CFE lens can be used in both shutter without the hassel of putting the lens on F. Thus, your CFE 120 Makro lens is extremely unique. One day I will release the work that I have proven to reduce flare especially on the 120 makro lens.

2. The answer is in 1 but brief yes no problem (see answer 1 for details information)

3. Crop Factor 1.5x
    -Son
    Last edited by PSon; 31st March 2008 at 18:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Is a cable to the lens X socket needed?
    No cable to the lens X socket is needed when using a digitally modified 205 TCC with the F and FE lens. This camera is modified for digital already. The only time that the cable to the lens X socket is needed when you use: 1) the C shutter on the lens (C, CF, CFi, and CFE) and 2) using the digital back on the 500 series cameras.

Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Damn, that looks sweet. ;>

Son (or Peter) - your thoughts on the 80/2.8?
    Rob,
    When I used to do wedding in the 90s I love the 80 mm a lot for 4 group full body portrait in square format. I also like it for portrait it is a very sharp lens as well. However, the sweet thing about the FE lens presented here is that it can focus very close like no other 80 mm lens including the Rollei 80 mm lens. The other 80 mm that focus very close is the Contax 645 80 mm lens.

In film day, the 80 mm gives me a very natural perspective and whenever there is enough room and or flash power to move back to capture the group portrait I pick the 80 mm lens. If the space is too tight or my flash power is not enough to match the sun, I pull out the 50 mm lens.

-Son

Post Thanks / Like

Not to contradict Son, but my understanding is that the big feature of the CFV back is that it does not need a cable when used on a 500 series body. Also, to answer one of Jack's questions, I believe that on a 200 series body, you can use an F series lens, but the metering is stop-down, whereas with an FE series lens, you can meter at full aperture, and the lens will auto stop down - certainly that is how my 203 FE and 80 CFE set to F mode work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Not to contradict Son, but my understanding is that the big feature of the CFV back is that it does not need a cable when used on a 500 series body. Also, to answer one of Jack's questions, I believe that on a 200 series body, you can use an F series lens, but the metering is stop-down, whereas with an FE series lens, you can meter at full aperture, and the lens will auto stop down - certainly that is how my 203 FE and 80 CFE set to F mode work.
    Arjuna,
    Actually the question is directed at the regular 503 CW or any other 500 series camera. The 503CWD do not need the cable and thus if the person already have the digital purchased with the limited edition 503CWD then they would not asked the question.
    Best Regards,
    -Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To follow up the last post in which Arjuna contributed which I forgot to mentioned about the 503 CWD camera:

I called Hasselblad USA to ask if the regular 503 CW can be modified to digital so no cable is necessary but the answer is NO.

Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    I eventually learned how to see colors in black and white and the shade of grey. With such knowledge, I am able to shoot very well.
    Interesting comment --- I learned to this very same thing when shooting chromes on large format using a hand-held spot meter. It's amazing how close green grass or blue sky is to zone V, while dark evergreens are IV, and yellow leaves in the Fall are VI...

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To follow up the last post in which Arjuna contributed which I forgot to mentioned about the 503 CWD camera:

I called Hasselblad USA to ask if the regular 503 CW can be modified to digital so no cable is necessary but the answer is NO.

Son
    Son,
    The CFV back can be used on all 500 series Hasselblads including the SWC without cables. By setting the camera type on the CFV to 500, SWC or 555ELD the capture delay is then applied. The CFV can also be used with non modified 200 series with the sync cable and leaf shutter lenses via the sync cable in "C" mode. There are also settings for pinhole camera and flash sync. The trigger arm from the camera body that changes the mode from ready to exposed on the film back triggers the CFV. By modifying your 200 TCC, an electronic connection tells the CFV when to fire.
    I have used the CFV with my 2000 FCW my 110 lens in flash sync mode (on slow shutter speeds). This is the great thing about the CFV back versus Phase One and Leaf backs as there is no need for cables!

Good luck on your sale!

Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Son,
    The CFV back can be used on all 500 series Hasselblads including the SWC without cables. By setting the camera type on the CFV to 500, SWC or 555ELD the capture delay is then applied. The CFV can also be used with non modified 200 series with the sync cable and leaf shutter lenses via the sync cable in "C" mode. There are also settings for pinhole camera and flash sync. The trigger arm from the camera body that changes the mode from ready to exposed on the film back triggers the CFV. By modifying your 200 TCC, an electronic connection tells the CFV when to fire.
    I have used the CFV with my 2000 FCW my 110 lens in flash sync mode (on slow shutter speeds). This is the great thing about the CFV back versus Phase One and Leaf backs as there is no need for cables!

Good luck on your sale!

Al
    hi Al,
    Thanks for the correction and the contribution. Therefore, this CFV back is even more powerful than I thought.
    Best Regards,
    -Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Al,
    BTW 2000 FCW is a great camera often overlooked by new comer but not knowledgeable Hasselblad users like you.
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the great things with the CFV MF solution is that it can work with ANY 500 series going back to the 500C and all of the lenses to boot! You can get into some serious MF digital for less than $10K as prices of used Hasselblad lenses are very affordable.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like

Son - thanks for the lens info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Son - thanks for the lens info.
    Rob,
    No problem and I hope one day soon you will tell us all about your experiences with your new lens.
    Son

Post Thanks / Like

Son,

I don't think I'll be doing any 'teaching' here - more learning followed by my 2 cents worth ;> Looking fwd to the 110 getting here.

Just now have to decide something in the wide-end. Contemplating a Leica 28/2.8 Ver2 -- or going with the much cheaper CZ 28 and putting difference into one of the other lenses on your FM MF list of a slightly longer FL. Something on the wide end with a floating element would be ideal.

I can see myself getting a V unit or Contax 645 at some point and having glass that would work on both them (with an adapter if need be) and on a 1ds2 would be nice.

I like what the the 1Ds2's 24x36mm sensor and its 9mu x 9mu light buckets deliver (using alt glass), so an entry-level used MFDB would keep me in that pixel pitch range -- with more real estate and no AA filter.

Am also a little reluctant to put any meaningful $$$ back into R glass, as good as the 28V2 is, at this juncture unless the deal is good because I do expect an influx of R glass on market in latter part of year depressing prices.

That being said, who knows what we'll all be saying this time next year.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only time that the cable to the lens X socket is needed when you use: 1) the C shutter on the lens (C, CF, CFi, and CFE) and 2) using the digital back on the 500 series cameras.

Son
    This is not correct.

No sync cord is needed with the 500 series cameras. The back is activated mechanically with the film back pin. All you need to do is set which camera you are using in the CFV menu. 500, SWC, etc.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arjuna,
    Actually the question is directed at the regular 503 CW or any other 500 series camera. The 503CWD do not need the cable and thus if the person already have the digital purchased with the limited edition 503CWD then they would not asked the question.
    Best Regards,
    -Son
    Son, also not to be contradictory, but this is NOT correct. The regular 503CW or any 500 series camera as well as the SWC do NOT need any cords at all.

The back works on these bodies as they are, without any ancillary cords. The Limited Edition 503CW is exactly the same as any 503CW, except it has a Chrome accented winder CWD name plate, and a commemorative salute to Victor Hasselblad with his signature.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI:

Some of my thoughts and some shots concerning the CFV published on the Hasselblad website:

http://www.hasselblad.com/planet-v/w...-williams.aspx

And here:

http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/discus...s/4/26201.html
    Last edited by fotografz; 1st April 2008 at 16:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,

Great links - especially the hasselbladinfo forum (a site I have been visiting far too often for my own good of late) one. There is something appealing to moi about shooting an older style mechanical camera like a V with a simple 16+MP back. I find most DSLR bodies to day have far too many options/in-camera tweaking ability you pay for yet never use.

Query if you ever get a chance: How do you find the CFV vs. the older Kodak unit?

DougDolde

Is the finder shown metered? Also can the back be used on a view camera with the proper Hasselblad mounting plate?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rob, the CFV is a 16 bit digital back, the Kodak was/is a 12 bit. Firmware/Software upgrades have continually improved the CVF in a bunch of areas (most notably higher IQ ISO 400 ), the Kodak is no longer supported ... it is what it is. The Kodak Proback Plus for the V mount requires a sync cord from the back to the lens flash sync port, the CFV does not. The CFV is a Firewire 800 tether (faster transfer rate), the Kodak is Firewire 400.

The CFV looks nicer : -)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Marc, Al, and Arjuna for making the corrections with the information regarding to the 500 series system. This joint information allows the next owner more information than I got by myself.

The kit is sold.

Best Regards,
    -Son

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lucky buyer, Son. It's a great camera and great digital back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Lucky buyer, Son. It's a great camera and great digital back.
    Marc, yes and I am glad it still stay within the forum.

BTW do you have the Rollei X-Act2 system?

Best Regards,
    -Son