Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS Aptus 75 S with camera and Extras

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FS Aptus 75 S with camera and Extras

I have decided to sell my beloved Aptus 75 S, Contax mount, together with a Contax body, prism finder and 80mm lens. The back has less had less than 2k images taken and is in mint condition. Comes with boxes, cables, etc. as if purchased new as well as with a NIB 30 GB Leaf Portable Pack which I purchased from Andre Napier a while back but never got around to using. Asking $23,500 for this package but will reduce the price if the purchaser does not want the camera. Reason for selling is that I am moving to the Sinar Hy6 kit which will allow me to use both my Contax and RZ cameras... something I was unable to do with the Aptus 75S. I am located in Jupiter, Florida where the back is available for inspection and local pickup.

David

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: FS Aptus 75 S with camera and Extras

Someone restrain me quick. Take a trade on my Lexus . ROTFLMAO

Good luck my friend. You know this one is just freaking killing me
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    I... Reason for selling is that I am moving to the Sinar Hy6 kit which will allow me to use both my Contax and RZ cameras... something I was unable to do with the Aptus 75S. I am located in Jupiter, Florida where the back is available for inspection and local pickup.

David
    David
    Do I understand that the Sinar can be adapted to the Contax body (and lenses) as well as RZ?

What about Contax and Mamiya? or Contax and Hasselblad V?

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dear Victor,
    The Sinar back can be mount on anything that shoot so yes to your question.

One of the thing that I am impressed most with David's Aptus 75s is that it is a great copy. In addition, the back has the Contax 645 interphase. Like you Victor, once you use the Contax 645 camera system and lens it is difficult to move to any other system.

-Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like

Per Son's remark, David, I am confused what the Hy6 Sinar gets you
    can't use Contax on it, can you? (As contax 645 is AF, there is no way to adapt without fooling the stop down.)

So, what's the attraction? Rollei glass?

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    can't use Contax on it, can you? (As contax 645 is AF, there is no way to adapt without fooling the stop down.)

Victor
    The new Rollei body is: 1) an ergonomic dream to hold -- handle pivots to suit whichever finder you have mounted; 2) you can use a WL or 45 or 90; 3) the glass is awesome; 4) the back rotates . 4 coupled with 2 is a dream in use for portraits/people especially with the WL finder

Don't get me wrong, the Contax is also a great camera, but it is: 1) an older design and 2) discontinued...

And here I sit suffering with my lowly Mamiya 645 with a ZD back...

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is the going price on the Black Market for a kidney?
    (what? I have a spare )

Best Wishes on the sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The route I see it is owning the Sinar back will accomodate you to any system you desire. Here is what I like and have or will have:

1. Sinar Hy6 + Sinar Back
    2. Contax 645 + Same Sinar Back
    3. Hasselblad 200 series + Sinar Back

and anything else you want but for me these are the two system. If you love the Hasselblad F or FE lens like I do add the third system with minimum. If you get the chance to use the Contax 645 system you will love the ergnomic, best mirror vibration control, incredible optics and extremely light and compact.

-Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,
    The Rollei lens reminded me a lot of my Leica R lens with superior built which is hard to imagine but true. Here is an example of my Rollei lens on the P20.

-Son

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Victor
    Victor,
    Either you are misreading Son's remarks or I am not understanding your question. I will continue to use the Contax 645 with the Sinar back same as I have been doing with the Leaf with the added advantage (for me) of being able to use my Mamiya RZ kit via an additional adapter. Perhaps you are thinking that the referenced adapters are for lenses... they are not, they are for the back/camera... so I will continue to shoot with the same (Contax) body... not the Contax/Zeiss glass on the Hy6 body. Similarly for the Mamiya RZ... and of course for the Hy6 body with Rollei glass. I have been very happy with my Leaf system, no complaints whatsoever other than the very steep price price to upgrade with Leaf's trade in program. The Leaf AFi offers the same flexibility... just got a much better deal on the Sinar.

David

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDauer View Post
    What is the going price on the Black Market for a kidney?
    (what? I have a spare )
    Best Wishes on the sale.
    One kidney gets you the back but no body or lenses Thanks for the good wishes.

I really do need to sell this in order to afford the new kit so don't be afraid to make me an offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,
    You can use the Sinar digital back on the Contax 645 like you would with your Phase One P45+. The Sinar back allow you to change the interphase among the cameras of your choices. What I love about the Sinar back is that on the square format camera you can simply rotate the current rectangular digital back in portrait or landscape mode. In doing so I do not need the square sensor immediately. Guy is right on the money when he speaks about the rectangular sensor. Even if a square sensor do come out most of your image will have to be crop to rectangular so you do not gain much for the investment. The value of the square format sensor is the fisheye lens. The image above is from the fisheye lens.
    Best regards,
    -Son

Post Thanks / Like

OK, David, Son

IFFFF I got the Hy6 with the sinar back, I could also get an adapter for the back for the Contax 645 and open up all the possibilities?

Yes, (yes, yes??)

Victor

PS will the sinar rotate with the contax adapter?

Graham, still here? You have the Hy6 sinar, yes? how goes it?

Hy6 can take the Rollei 6xxx non AF lenses too? and adapter for the hassey? (I guess so the hassey has a registration distance half a mile lomg LOL)
    Last edited by gogopix; 27th March 2008 at 15:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son, does the Sinar back have a Mamiya adapter too?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We do have a Sinar rep here on the forum. Maybe bring these questions to the MF forum folks .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It does --- I already checked
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,
    The answer to your first question is Yes, you will use it the same as you do with your current back. I asked Son the same question about rotating back with Contax and the answer to that is No... rotating backs are not applicable with the 645 format. They are with 6x6 or larger (Mamiya RZ). Rotating the back is a big plus for me because I like to use the WLF, which is confusing enough when you're looking straight down at it... turned on it's side it's waaay to confusing. When using the Contax in portrait mode I always switch to the prism finder.

Jack, Guy...
    If you want to move this whole thread to the MF forum, it's fine with me. I can always post a fresh thread on this forum. It would be nice to have Thierry chime in to make sure the info is correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor - a simple answer to your simple question.

A sinar digi back is mounted to camera bodies via adaptors. Other manufacturers make teh adaptors fixed devices - ie you have to send teh whole digi back to tehm for them to change teh adaptor ( read mount) to suit a prticular camera body.

Sinar has a unique value proposition in that you can buy adaptors to suit most any MF body etc..and CHANGE THEM YOURSELF

These adaptors - actually mounting plates is a better word are not cheap - but represent a fantastic bonus to those photographers who use multi platforms - so eg you can use yoru Contax and your Hasselblad h1 or V or mamiya or all of them - as long as you have purchased the various plates - which take a couple of minutes to change/swap to suit.

Hope this helps
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    Thanks for portraying this information better than I have and hopefully Victor is cleared.
    Best Regards,
    -Son

BTW hope you are completely healed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son,

apologies for my bad spelling though!

I am able to walk now and in a few weeks may commence exercising. Thank you for your concern.

I am still angry with Sinar backs though- because they have very poor software compared to competition and a very poor LCD. In my mind though - the swappable adaptor plate strategy they have adopted is the single best differentiating device - Sinar is still at tempting proposition because of this.

Regarding the Hy6 - it is a very nice body, I dindt find the body any better in use than the H1. Regarding the lenses - I have used all MF lenses by all manufacturers - and they are ALL very very good. I still believe though that my Fuji/blad lenses give me the Leica contrasty look my eye prefers in MF guise I love it.

Shot against green foliage background - shows hese lenses bokeh at their worst - just like Leica ( and everyone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    Glad to hear your good progress.

This program works really well for the Sinar back software solution. http://www.brumbaer.de/Tools/Brumbaer_Tools.html

Also Sinar is coming out with a new software called Exposure in April or May.

I have used all the backs and found Sinar adapters are very precise and this is very important for someone who want to use multi-platforms.

Best Regards,
    -Son

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    Good to hear that you are up and about and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery. An additional feature of the Sinar back that I forgot to mention was the 6GB internal memory which can be used as an alternative to or in conjunction with CF cards.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In response to a question, this back is covered by warranty until June 10, 2009.

DougDolde

Dave can you post photos of the kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    from personal experience.. the 75s is a *fantastic* back!! I can get the contrast/color i'd expect from color negative film.. have had no issues with noise up to the 30 second mark.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow... pretty boring to look at I'll also try to get some large tiffs available for download on mac.com.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    from personal experience.. the 75s is a *fantastic* back!! I can get the contrast/color i'd expect from color negative film.. have had no issues with noise up to the 30 second mark.
    Couldn't agree more Jim. If I get nothing better from the Sinar than what I have now I will be a happy camper.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    The route I see it is owning the Sinar back will accomodate you to any system you desire. Here is what I like and have or will have:

1. Sinar Hy6 + Sinar Back
    2. Contax 645 + Same Sinar Back
    3. Hasselblad 200 series + Sinar Back

and anything else you want but for me these are the two system. If you love the Hasselblad F or FE lens like I do add the third system with minimum. If you get the chance to use the Contax 645 system you will love the ergnomic, best mirror vibration control, incredible optics and extremely light and compact.

-Son
    Son, how are you using the Sinar back on a 200 series camera? Can you post a photo of that combination? I could care less about the Hy6 (tested it in studio and personally didn't prefer it), but being able to utilize my 203FE and full set of "paid for lenses" with a Sinar eMotion 75 is a different matter altogether.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son, maybe you missed my question ... how do you use the Sinar back on a Hasselblad 200 series camera? Can you post a photo of this kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Son, maybe you missed my question ... how do you use the Sinar back on a Hasselblad 200 series camera? Can you post a photo of this kit?
    Marc,
    The only digital back in the world that can be used on the Hasselblad 200 series cameras is the Sinar Digital Back via a very small cable from the digital back to the shutter sync on the right side of the camera. Phase One back and other back can be used on the 200 series but they need a double cable release such as the Kapture Group. However, this cable is huge and it is not sensible to shoot via hand held. On the other hand, the Sinar cable is very small and allow you to use the Hasselblad 200 series cameras handheld. The cable is also universal for all medium format cameras (Mamiya 645 AF, M645, Contax 645 and etc.) when used on the Sinar back. I also discovered that the adapter is very precise with the Sinar system. Up to date, the Hasselblad V is still the smallest and yet brightest 6x6 system when manual focus. I put both the Rollei 2.0/110 on the Rollei 6008 AF with their high definition bright screen and the Hasselblad 2.0/110 on the 205 TCC and the 205 TCC was so bright and yet crisp when in focus. It is due to this bright screen, I have designed an auto bellows system for the Contax 645 and now the Hasselblad 200 series camera to do high magnification micro/macro-photography applications. The only reason you own so much of these Hasselblad lens and your 203 FE is due to the incredible optics the 200 series has to offer.

-Son

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    The only digital back in the world that can be used on the Hasselblad 200 series cameras is the Sinar Digital Back via a very small cable from the digital back to the shutter sync on the right side of the camera. Phase One back and other back can be used on the 200 series but they need a double cable release such as the Kapture Group. However, this cable is huge and it is not sensible to shoot via hand held. On the other hand, the Sinar cable is very small and allow you to use the Hasselblad 200 series cameras handheld. The cable is also universal for all medium format cameras (Mamiya 645 AF, M645, Contax 645 and etc.) when used on the Sinar back. I also discovered that the adapter is very precise with the Sinar system. Up to date, the Hasselblad V is still the smallest and yet brightest 6x6 system when manual focus. I put both the Rollei 2.0/110 on the Rollei 6008 AF with their high definition bright screen and the Hasselblad 2.0/110 on the 205 TCC and the 205 TCC was so bright and yet crisp when in focus. It is due to this bright screen, I have designed an auto bellows system for the Contax 645 and now the Hasselblad 200 series camera to do high magnification micro/macro-photography applications. The only reason you own so much of these Hasselblad lens and your 203 FE is due to the incredible optics the 200 series has to offer.

-Son
    Thank you Son. This puts the Sinar back on my radar screen ... my 200 series cameras and lenses are the reason ... as you say ... nothing quite like it. If possible can you show a photo of a 200 series with the Sinar back hooked up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Thank you Son. This puts the Sinar back on my radar screen ... my 200 series cameras and lenses are the reason ... as you say ... nothing quite like it. If possible can you show a photo of a 200 series with the Sinar back hooked up?
    Marc, when I get the chance I will take a photo for you. If I am correct, you might have the 2.8/300 Power Pack with your 203FE.
    Best Regards,
    -Son

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, when I get the chance I will take a photo for you. If I am correct, you might have the 2.8/300 Power Pack with your 203FE.
    Best Regards,
    -Son
    Not the 300/2.8. 50/2.8FE, 110/2FE, 150/2.8FE and 250/4FE. I sold my other 203FE, 60-120/4.5FE and CFV back. Still shoot film with the 203FE and scan on a 949. But I'd eventually like a digital back for that camera.

Son, does the Sinar back rotate? I mean, does the Sinar V adapter allow removal and repositioning the back in portrait mode? A photo would be most appreciated. PM me with one if you have time.

Jeeze, I just realized we've hi-jacked this sell thread.

Let me put in a good word. The Aptus 75s is an awesome back, Simply awesome. At this price it's a very good deal. The back alone is $30,000.+ It's the absolute latest thing from Leaf.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    Don't worry about hijacking my threads... there's some good info posted here. One of the great things about this forum is the light handed management style. Thanks for the plug on the back, it really is as good as it gets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

we try David! Anyway, it would be better if Son posts his image in a new thread inside the MF section, and Marc re-posts his questions there, just so that info hangs around for posterity --- these B&S threads get flushed after a few months of inactivity...

Cheers,
    Jack

DougDolde

David,

Just wondering if you got around to those photos of the kit. I'm all the way out in California and this is a 20K+ item. My request received the response "pretty boring to look at". Makes me wonder if you are really into selling it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, FWIW I have done MANY deals with David. I am in California too and would be happy to act as intermediary if it suits you both. The Contax 645 is a known system as is the Aptus 75 back. There's not going to be much to see in an online photo of any of that gear; you're better off trusting the person that sells it to you to give you the honest scoop on its condition.

All FWIW...
    Jack

DougDolde

Jack, I appreciate your good referal to Dave. I'd not want an intermediary but it is good to know you give him very positive feedback.

From my perspective it's just a name on a forum with no personal data, website link, etc.

FWIW this back can be bought as a demo from any Leaf dealer in Contax 645 mount with a full warranty for about the same price. I have to feel REALLY good about dealing with an individual at this price level if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,

I've dealt with David as well, and would do so again in a moment.

I'm in Santa Cruz with the same back (although with a Mamiya setup), if you're in the area and would like to see/play with it sometime

jim

Jack, I appreciate your good referal to Dave. I'd not want an intermediary but it is good to know you give him very positive feedback.

From my perspective it's just a name on a forum with no personal data, website link, etc.

FWIW this back can be bought as a demo from any Leaf dealer in Contax 645 mount with a full warranty for about the same price. I have to feel REALLY good about dealing with an individual at this price level if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We all know exactly what you mean and it is the correct way to make a purchase and in this case i know David very well also and we have bought and sold many things to each. Probably way too much too but he is a great guy and comes highly recommended. Believe me Jack, Jim and I would not dare say go ahead without knowing David very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another vote for David K; Top class and extremely professional person!
    -Son

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    Just wondering if you got around to those photos of the kit. I'm all the way out in California and this is a 20K+ item. My request received the response "pretty boring to look at". Makes me wonder if you are really into selling it.
    Doug,
    My sincere apologies for not getting around to this sooner. Here are a few I just took.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and two more...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,
    I am actually surprised to hear that the S model is available from dealers at this price. Steve Hendrix, at PPR in Atlanta, most recently sent me his price list on non-S models which were priced from $18,500 to $22,500. The S upgrade was $5k (I paid $3k as an early adopter). Those backs also did not include the camera/lens/portable pack which I'd estimate is worth $3k. My remaining warranty is about 14 months, a bit better than the year you'd get from a dealer. Also, for what it's worth, the vast majority of Aptus backs are purchased by professionals and I suspect that mine, at less than 2k captures, is at the low end of the useage curve. BTW, Steve Hendrix, who is a forum member here and from whom I purchased the back, graciously offered to provide support to the purchaser of this back if needed, even though he's trying to sell his own used backs. That's what I call a class act.

David

DougDolde

Actually there is one Aptus 75S demo available from Leaf with a Contax mount. FYI, PPR will sell it for $23,400 and MPEX for $22,500. So your deal is a pretty good one with the camera included.

But I am having second thoughts on the 75. I am probably better off with a new Phase P20+ and an Arca Swiss 6x9 for stitching. Both together will cost me less than a 75 (or P25+), and I already have a Contax 645.

Phase just dropped the prices of the P20+ to $8990 and the P25+ to $20,990 which includes a Mamiya 645 ADF II body. And that's negotiable especially if you don't want the Mamiya body.
    Last edited by DougDolde; 31st March 2008 at 16:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if you're interested in stitching, you might look at

http://www.horsemanusa.com/digital/SWD2pro.html

It'll give you more pixels that anyone really needs (which is a lot coming from me)

This is from the Horseman and a 35mm Digitar

Actually there is one Aptus 75S demo available from Leaf with a Contax mount. FYI, PPR will sell it for $23,400 and MPEX for $22,500. So your deal is a pretty good one with the camera included.

But I am having second thoughts on the 75. I am probably better off with a new Phase P20+ and an Arca Swiss 6x9 for stitching. Both together will cost me less than a 75 (or P25+), and I already have a Contax 645.

Phase just dropped the prices of the P20+ to $8990 and the P25+ to $20,990 which includes a Mamiya 645 ADF II body. And that's negotiable especially if you don't want the Mamiya body.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    if you're interested in stitching, you might look at

http://www.horsemanusa.com/digital/SWD2pro.html

It'll give you more pixels that anyone really needs (which is a lot coming from me)

This is from the Horseman and a 35mm Digitar

That is awesome Jim. Awesome.

DougDolde

JIm, This is with your Aptus 75S? Can you simultaneously shift L&R and Up & Down with the Horseman to get a 4 quadrant stitch? Or is this "just" two frames?
    Last edited by DougDolde; 31st March 2008 at 17:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JIm, This is with your Aptus 75S? Can you simultaneously shift L&R and Up & Down with the Horseman to get a 4 quadrant stitch? Or is this "just" two frames?
    yes.. from a center position, you can shift in all directions 17mm

with the 75s, i have 48x36mm sensor size. after shifting, i can get the equivalent of up to a 76x82mm. (as long as the image circle of the lens allows that much). the 24 doesn't allow for much shift at all.. i tried my 35, and can get about 12-14 mm in each direction of excellent IQ, 17mm in each direction is about the same as a normal Canon wide angle lens (you get the blurring in the corners, etc).

The image you see is just the single frame.. portrait orientation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The other thing you get with the 75s are different built in profiles. The one i use most often is Portrait Open.. which give the look of color negative film.. lower saturation, lower contrast, and higher DR.

You can also shoot with the Product profile, which gives a much more saturated/contrasty 'chrome' look.