The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Canon glass, 400/2.8, 90 TSE, 24-105, 16-35 II

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have some Canon glass I'm not using right now and am curious to see level of interest. (I don't really want to sell any of these, but also want to get an MF tech camera and need to raise some additional funds to do that...)

1) SOLD --- Canon 24-105 IS. UT date code. Mint condition with box, caps, hood and all paperwork. This was best in a sample of three and is an excellent performer. Selling because I also have the 24-70 and seem to use it more than this one. Because it's hand-picked and certified good performer I'm thinking $925 OBO ?

2) SOLD --- Canon 16-35 f2.8 L II zoom. UV date code. Latest version, also mint with box, caps, hood and paperwork, also a superbly sharp copy. This one was hand-selected from several by Mike Hatam, and I bought it from him when he moved out of Canon. I would like to get what i paid, which was $1500

3) Canon 90 TSE. UQ date code. Another confirmed excellent copy lens. However, this one has seen a bunch of use and is ugly on the exterior. The glass is pristine however, and all movement are smooth and lock up tight. $825 shipped US and PP'd

4) SOLD --- Canon 400 f2.8L AF (NON-IS). UI date code. This is another lens that shows a lot of use on the exterior, but has great glass. Includes rear cap, hood and strap -- no case. It is very sharp even wide open at f2.8 and virtually no loss of resolution if you add the 1.4x or 2x converter and shoot wide open for effective 560/f4 or 800/f5.6's! I've even used BOTH converters stacked for EXCELLENT results at an effective 1120mm f8 lens! Focus is spot on with my 1Ds3 with "zero" AF correction factor applied. $2850 Shipped US and PP'd SOLD

If interested feel free to PM or email jack-at-getdpi-dot-com.

Thanks for looking!

bradhusick

Re: FS: Canon glass, testing the waters...

Jack is super-particular when it comes to sample quality on lenses, so buy from him with confidence. When he says a lens is sharp, it's sharp.

Jeremy

I have some Canon glass I'm not using right now and am curious to see level of interest. (I don't really want to sell any of these, but also want to get an MF tech camera and need to raise some additional funds to do that...)
So are you selling them or are you not? I'm always confused by posts like this. Does this mean you'll sell if you hit your price point, but "don't really want to sell any of these" so if you don't get enough $$$ then you won't sell them? Is this to make us feel special that we're getting the chance to buy choice lenses that you "don't really want to sell" so if we get in on this chance we're getting some extra value?

You're either selling them or you aren't--I don't understand the maybe/maybe not attitude unless it's a less than ethical way (imo, if you're planning on selling them but are just putting on airs) at moving the items for a higher price or at a faster rate. Honestly, if I were in the market for one of these items I'd go somewhere else because I wouldn't want the seller to pull his offering as he's just "testing the waters". When I decide to buy something I don't want the salesmen to decide he's no longer selling. Please educate me differently.

There seems to be quite a bit of this on this forum and others lately and it may just be seller's remorse entering into the equation before the sale takes place, but I don't see the guys at Capture Integration saying they are thinking of having a demo sale, but don't really want to sell the equipment, for example. In the end this is all about $$$ being spent and $$$ being made so why the extra folderol?

I have been liquidating gear myself to cover medical expenses and note this fact to the purchasers not to get pity sales (because no one is going to buy an 8x10 camera because I'm hard up for cash--if you want to help out, buy a print! :D), but due to the reason for the sales there are no returns--the $$$ will immediately be handed over to the hospitals/doctors in question. In this instance I understand why and am just wanting to know the "why" in this case.

Finally, I figure Jack's ad is a good one to pick on as he will see this as an honest attempt to understand why an ad would be structured this way and he has the power to delete the whole thread and make another listing or move my question to another place if more appropriate.

Edit: I'm playing Devil's Advocate here and am not accusing Jim of unethical practices, but I am curious because of the possibilities available.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Sorry for the confusion. Yes I am selling them, but I'm not sure my pricing is good. If these prices are good, I'll sell them at the prices stated. If they're not and I all I get are low offers, I'll probably just keep them. Make sense?

Jeremy

Sorry for the confusion. Yes I am selling them, but I'm not sure my pricing is good. If these prices are good, I'll sell them at the prices stated. If they're not and I all I get are low offers, I'll probably just keep them. Make sense?
I was just curious as there seems to have been a rash of these "testing the waters" posts lately.

KETCH ROSSI

As far as pricing goes Jack, it all depends on age and condition of glass, my main Photography forum for selling and buying used gear is FM, and you do find great deals there but price is very flexible, again depending on conditions, and user need to sale, I believe your pricing is fair, so good luck with the sale.

Don Libby

I want to help Jack out with his tech purchase so am offering comments on a couple lenses...

I've got a 24-105 on my converted 1DsII and find it a great lens. You'll get great width and a great reach all in one lens. And if Jack says it's an excellent performer then you can take that to the bank. I also think the price is right.

90 TSE - Had one a long time ago while I was still shooting landscape with my Canon. Good all around lens to have in your kit. Again if Jack says it's an excellent copy the you can head straight to the bank.

I've owned both a 300 2.8 and 400 DO lens however not this particular lens. However I can attest to the ease of shooting this type of lens. Sandy & I used a 300 and 400 in Alaska last year with extenders and was able to walk away with great images (and more importantly images that sell).

I think the prices on all the lenses are within the ballpark and not to beat a :deadhorse: if Jack says the quality of the lenses is excellent then it is. If I were still shooting landscape in 35mm and I needed a lens then I'd be jumping on one or more of these.

Again just my 2cents worth.

Don

JimCollum

The 90 TSE is an *excellent* copy. (I should know.. 90% of my work with Canon gear was done with that specific lens.. Jack got it from me after i switched to Nikon)

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
The 16-35L II would have probably been worth much more, if you hadn't mentioned that it used to be mine :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously though - that is a sweet lens. If I was still shooting full-frame Canon, I would have never sold it.

David K

Workshop Member
I'm shooting Nikon these days and haven't followed Canon glass in a while, so I'll limit my comment to saying that the Canon 400 2.8 is the best lens I've ever owned bar none (and I've had more than a few). I've owned both the IS and non-IS versions and frankly preferred the non-IS. It may not be designed for portraits but the single best portrait shot I've ever gotten was with this lens. Good luck with the sale Jack and congrats to whoever winds up with it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Note that prices on the 90TSE and 400 now include US shipping and PayPal fees!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Would love some help moving these two remaining lenses, so if you know anybody who may be interested... ;)