The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB JOBO PROCESSOR CPP2 or ATL

steflaurent974

Back to the good old time of film. I do like digital, but I am not sure of the conservation of all these hard disks...

So I want to developp consistantly my negatives with a JOBO Processor.

I am listening to any offer.

Nice Day

Stuart Richardson

Best of luck finding a good one. I was in the market for one earlier, and I wound up buying a new one. If you have a friend in Germany, I suggest you try FotoBrenner. They had them for sale for a very good price when I bought mine. Another good source would be Foto Impex, but they were a bit more expensive at the time -- that said, they are set up to do international business, and will sell you one without VAT and ship it to you in Reunion.

Best,
Stuart

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just ran through Foto Impex's web store and it appears they only have CPE Jobo units...the others may no longer be manufactured?

Bob

steflaurent974

This is really intersting Stuart I had to go in France for holidays not so far Germany.
By the way, you are one of the guys whom superb photos makes me re-dive into analog processing.

I'll have a look on these website.
I'd love to find a used ATL-1500 but it's quite rare now.

robsteve

Subscriber
I notice you are in a fairly distant land. From my experience buying used, you are probably better off buying new if you need to have it shipped to you.

I bought used both an ATL-1 and an ATL-1000 and both arrived damaged. They were not shipped in their original boxes, so UPS refused to honor a damage claim. In the case of the ATL-1000, the shipper was a big UPS shipper and insisted the claim got paid.

On another note, older processors like the ATL-1 can need some work on the computer head, such as replace an on board battery in order for programs to be remembered.

For the ATL-1000, the E6 and C41 processes are preset, so you cannot fine tune the time like you can with the ATL-1500. If you are just doing roll film, the ATL-1000 or ATL-1500 are the best processors because they are more automated. Will all of the automatic processors, you need a tempered water supply, but with the ATL-1000, ATL-1500, you can just load the film, fill up the chemical bottles and walk away. When the chemicals come up to temperature, the process will start. On the other processors, you need to measure the chemical temperatures and then start the process when they are up to temperature.

Robert

steflaurent974

Robert, your help is great.

My main issue with processing is the temperature for B&W : here the water out of the pipes is at 27°C ! And Reunion Island have a tropical climate. I don't think any processors can bring down the chemicals from 34°C to at least 24°C ; I may use an air conditionning device.

I think the ATL 1500 would be the best for my use.

Stephane

Stuart Richardson

Stephane -- Thanks for the compliments! I am flattered that my photos have made you consider coming back to film. One note on the cold water -- I think that the way that the CPP-2 cools the temperature is through a cold water solenoid valve -- it mixes the cold water from the tap with the water in the processor bath. So while that is fine if your cold water is below 20 degrees, (like here...cold water is at 4 degrees, hot at 90...the beauty of glaciers and volcanos being your source of hot and cold water) it is not going to help you if your cold water is not colder than the temperature you want in the processor bath. At least, I don't think it will.

My suggestion would be to either put some water in the fridge, and use that when you are mixing your chemicals so that you can make a 20-24 degree chemical for your processing. I do the opposite -- the water out of the tap is very cold and our hot water is very sulfurous, so I boil cold water in a teapot and add that to the cold water from the tap until it is at 20 degrees -- the boiling water is so much hotter that you don't need that much volume in order to bring the temperature up to 20. For you, you could either put water in the fridge, add ice cubes etc, and use that to bring the temperature down.

If you decide to go with a processor, you can pour a bunch of ice cubes in the processor bath to bring down the temp. Just make sure they don't get sucked up into the pump system.

steflaurent974

So funny : here we've got an active Volcano on the Island (Piton de la Fournaise) , it erupted twice in november !!! But unfortunately no ice !!! So when I was processing manually my films, I use to chill the water with big ice blocks and wait til the temp reach 19°C. Then I started processing, and at the end water reached 22°C wich was working with my D76 1+1 12min 400asa TriX process !!!
:thumbup:

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert, your help is great.

My main issue with processing is the temperature for B&W : here the water out of the pipes is at 27°C ! And Reunion Island have a tropical climate. I don't think any processors can bring down the chemicals from 34°C to at least 24°C ; I may use an air conditionning device.

I think the ATL 1500 would be the best for my use.

Stephane
Just a note on B&W, my ATL-1000 does a great job, but in B&W process mode, the unit does not heat or cool the water, the process just starts with a pre-wet when you close the lid, regardless of the chemistry temp. Since the lid is closed while processing, if you got the temps right and used a water bath , they would probably stay pretty close. As for the wash pre-wet/water, there is an optional pump for the ATL-1000, ATL-1500, which lets you feed the wash water from a bucket. In your case you could probably get a 5 gallon bucket of water down to a good temp.