The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Somewhat OT... Paypal?

sangio

I apologize for asking such a newbie question.

I haven't opened an account with paypal because of the problems people were reporting a few years back; frozen accounts, unathorized withdrawls, non-existant customer service, etc, etc. And if I recall correctly, there was at least one class action lawsuit against them.

So, I'm extremely reluctant to provide them with bank account or credit card information.

Since it appears that everyone here is using paypal for their transactions, I was wondering if things have changed in recent years. Is paypal a reasonably safe and hassle free way to transfer money?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Santo

trisberg

I've been using PayPal for a couple of years now and haven't had a single problem with them. I think it's safer to use PayPal than giving your credit card/bank account info to smaller merchants that you are not familiar with.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use paypal for almost everything even client invoices that can use it . Most corporate clients have some restrictions using paypal but it has been working fine for me for years.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have well over 200 transactions and have to say it works exceptionally well for me. I have the account tied to both a bank account and a CC, making cash sweeps from PP to my bank account easy, as well as having adequate funds instantly available via the CC. Actually, the PP account generates better interest than my bank account too! There is also the buyer safety feature which saved my butt, generating a refund of funds after a major international transaction went all of a sudden sketchy...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's been working trouble-free for me for a few years now. I have a similar setup as Jack. Worth the investment of time to set it up so you can have the option of paying via a direct link to your bank funds or using a credit card.

On the other hand, if time is not critical and the seller agrees, I sometimes go the old fashioned route and send a check. No fees that way.

photoSmart42

I've been using PayPal for years without issues as well. PP offers protection for both the buyr and the seller, so that's a benefit.

The main problem has been, frankly, created by users themselves. Lots of phishing emails out there trying to scam people out of their PayPal account login information, and unfortunately people fall for it and get scammed, then somehow blame PayPal for it. Never click on any email you receive about re-setting passwords, no matter how legit it may look (scammers are VERY sophisticated!), and you should be fine. PayPal also has a security service where you can report phishing emails, and that helps them fight fraud as well.

Still, you can always send payment by other means. The downside is that it may take longer to finalize the transaction, checks can get lost in the mail, etc. Even paying by credit card online isn't 100% safe, especially for the smaller merchants who don't have a robust payment processing system. Best thing to do is to have a dedicated credit card that's only used for online transactions, and has only enough balance on it to cover the largest transaction you'll make. Definitely stay away from using any card that's directly tied into your bank account. Make smart choices about your online shopping, and you're more likely to stay safe.

Don Libby

My PayPal setup is similar to Jack’s. I have it set to my company checking account and CC. I also accept foreign payments (in dollars) but have it locked down in certain ways for security reasons. I’ve used PayPal to accept payments now for several years and find it very easy to send invoices for goods as well as shipping. I also use it to make purchases either directly from my checking account or credit card.

I’ve also found the customer service to be very good the few times I’ve contacted them. They answered my questions and addressed my concerns promptly either over the telephone or via e-mail.

I would recommend using PayPal to anyone. I’d also recommend that once you have the account setup (in my case it’s a merchant account) you consider changing your password frequently.

Again I’ve never had a problem with PP however I’ve received spam telling me there’s a problem. I never answer the spam however I log in to see if there’s a problem (and there never has been) and forward the spam to PP security department.

One other comment is the ease of transferring funds from my PP account to my checking account which normally takes just a couple days to show up. Not sure what the previous problems/concerns were however I’ve had PP for about 5 years now without a single concern.

Don

P

Paul O'D

I've used PayPal for several years with no problems, including buying some lenses on this forum and selling both camera bodies and lenses (Nikon) on Fred Miranda's site. I see occasional "Phishing" attempts but they are pretty obvious and I just mark them as spam and delete them.

Dale Allyn

I've had no problems with PayPal (using them for several years), but I also do not connect it to my business account because I was informed by them that they aren't responsible for unauthorized draws on the account via their system. My business checking account may have 5 or 6 figures in it at times (err, though not so often lately ;) ) and that's a foolish risk, so I have it connected to my wife's household account which maintains only a minimal balance.

To do it over (and if I get around to it I will) I'd set up a dedicated account for it to better control the balance in an account (and risk) associated with it. I originally set up the account while I was traveling (years ago) and did not want to hassle with trying to set up a dedicated account at the time.

sangio

Thank you for all the comments. I think I'll follow Dale's suggestion and set up a separate checking account just for paypal when my bank opens up on Monday.

Seasons Greetings
Santo

wolverine

I have used it for over 5 years without an issue. Both receiving and sending. I find it safe and easy. I know others have an experience that they blame on paypal. Whether it really was paypal or not is up to debate. But for some perceptions persist. Nothing is without risk. But I think paypal has set up pretty good security. I don't leave funds hanging around there very long.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I agree with most everyone that Paypal provides an excellent service. As a buyer you have two levels of protection from problems..(1)you can file a dispute with paypal that locks up the funds in the sellers account...this is particularly effective if the seller is not responsive (2)you can also file with your credit card company if you use paypal ..pay with credit card. This is most effective when the issue is clear cut...like I never received the item. I have not had to use them but they work.

Now as a seller , it is less "user friendly" as buyer can tie you up over anything they feel is justified. I once sold a mint M6 looked like new and I told the buyer..the battery will be dead. He bought a battery and had the wife test it..she put the battery in backwards. He froze the account...even though I offered a full refund..for about a week . I had to wait until he cleared the dispute for the money to be available.

Its on the selling side that you hear complaints. I use it always when I can buying.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Beware also if, as a buyer, they perform an audit on sales that for some reason triggers their fraud check. I had this happen recently with a subscription to a well known photography web site (Diglloyd) and Delkin devices - PP froze the transactions and sent a dispute to the sellers which looked like I'd raised it (which I hadn't) and required me to verify details again as a fraud check, which I didn't mind really. Even after all that was performed and the account released as active again the web subscription is still in 'review by PayPal' status and those funds which were released by me are still on 'temporary hold' for the seller after 3 weeks despite emails from me asking them to release it and explaining the legitimacy of the site, it's owner & the transaction. A nice way to earn interest for PP I suppose.

In general PayPal is very convenient and I use it extensively but I always feel like I'm dealing with an organization with the morals of a mobster loan shark.