The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Nikon 500mm Reflex Nikkor-C Mirror Lens

D&A

Hi All,

Up for sale is an extremely nice condition NIkon 500mm f8 Nikkor-C Mirror Lens. THis is one mirror lens that is highly thought of for it's optical perfomance and great for when traveling light and makes impressive compressed telephoto shots. Lens comes with a original Nikon rear lens cap and a generic front soft plastic slip on cap that's a bit loose fitting (since the original metal screw-in front cap went missing).

Condition: Lens is in extremely nice shape, one of the nicest ones I've seen over the years with built in tripod mount. Mirror and optics and very clean and barrle shows minimal signs of use. This lens like the Nikon 200-400 f4 that I'm selling was my dads. Serial # is 571xxx. I removed the # in photoshop for the usual security reasons...but of course it's clearly on the lens, perfectly!

Price is $225.00 net to me plus actual shipping/insurance costs. Thanks for your interest.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Re: FS: Nikon 500mm Reflex Nikkor-C Mirror Lens

Hi,

The Nikon 500mm Reflex Nikkor-C Mirror Lens is now sold! Thanks everyone for your PM's and interest.

The fabulous Nikon 200-400 f4 AF VR Lens is still available at $1000.00 less than new. A truly legendary lens, for good reasons. All the details can be found in a seperate posting. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

mathomas

This isn't a criticism, but an honest question.

Can someone explain to me what security concerns there are with publishing the serial number of a lens? It's not as if it's an SSN or something. Is it a fear that some bad guy would somehow get one's name/address by calling the manufacturer's warrantee department and doing some social engineering?

Thanks...

Vlad

This isn't a criticism, but an honest question.

Can someone explain to me what security concerns there are with publishing the serial number of a lens? It's not as if it's an SSN or something. Is it a fear that some bad guy would somehow get one's name/address by calling the manufacturer's warrantee department and doing some social engineering?

Thanks...
I have always wondered this myself. I guess the rationale behind it is that you don't want your images to be abused by a person pretending to be selling the same lens and then burning the customer (on eBay or any other marketplace, like Craigslist).

Correct me if I am wrong.

photoSmart42

I have always wondered this myself. I guess the rationale behind it is that you don't want your images to be abused by a person pretending to be selling the same lens and then burning the customer (on eBay or any other marketplace, like Craigslist).

Correct me if I am wrong.
I would think it's just the opposite. For sure I want to compare the SN of the item pictured for sale with the item I actually receive to make sure I got what I paid for. If it's different, it goes back for a refund as 'item does not match description'. Not only that, but if a seller starts to edit their photos, makes me wonder what else they're editing.

aboudd

Or, you could simply ask for the photo with the SN intact as a condition of buying the lens, which I didn't bother doing by the way. I don't think there is a huge market in illegitimate 500MM mirror lenses.

Thanks Dave, looking forward to meeting you and getting the lens.

D&A

Hi All,

Let me explain why I almost always block or remove in photoshop serial #'s of items from showing. Maybe it being over cautious n and certainly goes back for others doing the same thing for many years. ..although with all the internet scams these days, taking extra precaution isn't a bad idea. Let say one has a lens for many years and the receipt is long gone. Then some unscrupolous person sees a pic of the item on the web and it shows the serial number....they can then file a claim its his lens and recites the serial # to whomever he reports the lens to. I've known two people who were selling expensive photographic items on the web, this happened to. Yes, I know,unscupolous people filing these clams have to prove ownership...but they somehow came up with a handwrtten forged receipt from some photo store that long has been out of business. Yesn I know few would do this for a 225.00 lens, but its been known they do this for expensive ietms and catch honest sellers off guard. Strange things happen in this world of the internet. In fact this would happen long before it. Anyhow, one can always ask for a pic of the item with serial # showing...and if there intent in knowing seems ligitimate, no proplem sending it. I know most are honest individuals (as I am with 10 years of perfect 1300 pure positive ebay feedbacks)...but its better to be careful than not.

Also it's been known for people to pull other peoples pictures of items they are selling, off the web and then scamming people in trying to sell same items as their own. Again just added pecaution.

Looing forward to meeting you Aboudd too. In the meantike, what serial # do I hand scribe ontoto the lens (just kidding...I can't even draw!. Thanks for reading everyone!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Just a quick addition...

A sincere apology for the ridiculous numbers of spelling and syntax mistakes in my post directly above. I was trying to type it via my cell phone which turned out to be near impossible. Now that I am back at a regular computer...I can see what a mess I made. Hope it's somewhat legible and that you got the jist of what I was trying to say. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

mathomas

Thanks for the answers -- interesting. Sorry to take your sale post off-track, but it reminded me to ask that question.

Happy shooting...