The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD - Zeiss 18/4 ZM

eosslr

Bought this lens here about a month ago. Quality glass, but too wide for my liking. Would like to trade it for something longer. I will also consider selling it outright ($850 net). Options (prefer black paint):

Zeiss 21/2.8
Zeiss 35/2 + $$ to me

The lens is in mint condition and comes with box, papers, hood. Original front cap is missing and was replaced by Schneider push-on cap. Also includes 58mm B+W 486 UV/IR slim filter. Black.

ohdannyboy

Re: FT/FS - Zeiss 18/4 ZM

Does anyone have experience with this lens on an M9? Just curious if it's too wide for my liking. If anyone has example pics taken with it, it'd be great to see them.

Don Hutton

It's obviously very wide. If you need or want anything this wide, IMO, it's awesome. The new firmware update works extremely well in removing any red casts in the corners with this lens coded as the 18mm Elmar. Mine is absolutely tack sharp from corner to corner. For the asking price, I'd say this is an awesome deal...

D&A

The Zeiss 18mm is spectacular and every bit the equal (in my opinion) of the Leica SE 18mm...with possibly even less distortion. Depending where it was purchased, it might have the mount that brings up the 50mm frame lines or 28/90 frame lines...and this aspect will impact coding. If it has the 50mm, then as Don said, code it as a Leica SE 18mm....if it brings up the 28/90 framelines, code it as a Leica 21mm f2.8 pre-asph...which does an even better job at removing red edge than coding it as a WATE.

Dave (D&A)

ohdannyboy

OMG Thrice, that first shot is amazing! Even with f4, you were able to get enough light for (what seems like) an early morning shot?

Double Negative

Not Available

It's wide to be sure, but I got mine for the M8 where it's about a 24mm, which I sorely lacked (as I love the 2,8/25 ZM on film). Really an incredible lens. Ridiculously sharp, and of course all the usual "Zeissisms."

thrice

OMG Thrice, that first shot is amazing! Even with f4, you were able to get enough light for (what seems like) an early morning shot?
It's shot at f/11, I have a tripod :) it's sunset, but yes similar light conditions.

2x2

The Zeiss 18mm is spectacular and every bit the equal (in my opinion) of the Leica SE 18mm...with possibly even less distortion. Depending where it was purchased, it might have the mount that brings up the 50mm frame lines or 28/90 frame lines...and this aspect will impact coding. If it has the 50mm, then as Don said, code it as a Leica SE 18mm....if it brings up the 28/90 framelines, code it as a Leica 21mm f2.8 pre-asph...which does an even better job at removing red edge than coding it as a WATE.

Dave (D&A)

May I ask if you could provide the code for the Leica 21mm f2.8 pre-asph?