The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB [US] 40.5 UV/IR filter

Peter Klein

Are you are looking to fit a UV/IR filter to a Jupiter-8 lens or Sonnar, or some other "50" with a 40.5 filter ring? A much easier and cheaper way to do this is to get a 40.5 to 46mm step-up ring, and get a standard 46mm filter and hood. That's what I did.

The rings are readily available on the auction site, and the last time I looked HeavyStar sells nice screw-in hoods that are vented like a Leica hood.

If this is for the M8, you might also get away with a 40.5 to 39mm step-down ring and 39mm filter. This would probably vignette on a film camera, but might not with the M8 crop factor.

ampguy

Yes. Thanks very much, I currently do this, both with step-up to 43, and to 46, but am looking to reduce front filter diameter. When shooting into the sun (or bright lights), the larger diameter increases flare, and requires a larger dia. hood stacked over the filter on the s/u ring.

Are you are looking to fit a UV/IR filter to a Jupiter-8 lens or Sonnar, or some other "50" with a 40.5 filter ring? A much easier and cheaper way to do this is to get a 40.5 to 46mm step-up ring, and get a standard 46mm filter and hood. That's what I did.

The rings are readily available on the auction site, and the last time I looked HeavyStar sells nice screw-in hoods that are vented like a Leica hood.

If this is for the M8, you might also get away with a 40.5 to 39mm step-down ring and 39mm filter. This would probably vignette on a film camera, but might not with the M8 crop factor.