Site Sponsors

Thread: R glass for sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

R glass for sale

I am going to sell all of my R glass to fund my newly found MF liability!

Included are:

15 elmarit
    19 Elmarit
    21-35 Zoom
    35-70 Elmarit
    80 Lux
    180 Elmarit
    280 4.0 Apo
    1.4 Extender

I am just working up prices but wanted to see how much interest there may be. PM or call me at (970) 231-8110 if interested in any or all.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: R glass for sale

A best of the best collection from one of the best of the best sellers. The perfect Leica R lens collection.

Kurt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody's Bitten ... LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

and when the 22mp 36x36 R10 comes out fully compatible, with focus confirmation?.....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Woody's Bitten ... LOL.
    He sure is... and your product shots are to blame

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More like flew over the the slope. LOL

Man all this DMR stuff is tempting for sure.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    and when the 22mp 36x36 R10 comes out fully compatible, with focus confirmation?.....
    Victor

I do this on the one hand with considerable remorse. I love the R glass and believe there will be an R10 and it will be great (and expensive). However I have come to the conclusion that I need three different systems.

A. The M8 for lightweight travel and fantastic files. It is of course not a system which can do it all but for what it does it is the best.

B. A DSLR with AF for all normal daily shooting. Macro and Telephoto are prime issues as well but fast reliable and accurate AF is critical for me. The Nikon D3 and the superb new Nikon glass get it done for me. I understand the R10 will be AF but using my criteria that means buying a whole new round of Leica AF glass and that ain't gonna happen.

C. MF for my landscape work which means large prints. I just don't believe 35mm is competitive here as you of all people know. Even with the best glass in the world the 24x36 sensor is just too small for high resolution without very significant compromises.

So for me, as I see it, having these three systems gets me what I want and need. A new 35mm system is just not necessary.

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

well having picked up your 105-280 I am certainly not going to talk you out of selling the R stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 35-70 Elmarit has sold.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    The 35-70 Elmarit has sold.

Woody
    Who just joined the 35-70mm Elmarit club?

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Who just joined the 35-70mm Elmarit club?

Robert
    A fellow Coloradoan whose name I will withheld until he lets me know he is O.K with displaying. I am looking forward to breakfast with him next Thursday and welcoming him to the 35-70 Elmarit club.

Best

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    Whether or not you currently own a 35-70 elmarit, if you have owned one you are in the club for life. Guy, Chuck Jones, Son, you, me... who else have I forgotten. Just wondering if you guys from Colorado hit oil or something out there. Next to Hong Kong and China there's a pretty hefty concentration of good glass going west.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, based on you all's recomendation I was an early suc... I mean buyer of this lens. Was LNIB from a store that Boris bought out. Looks new. Unfortunately, with little use, it STILL looks new.

and NO I AM NOT SELLING

Victor

PS PeterA, I think I found something else for you to look for.

PPS: Kurt, Robert David, yes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I have one ans was shooting it at the Carmel workshop. Sean at Camera West noticed it from a mile off when I walked in with it on the DMR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

O.K Guys, here is the list priced to sell

15 3.5.......mint..........$2500

15 Elmarit Asph...mint.$4800

19 elmarit...Exc +.......$2100

80 Lux........Exc++......$1600

21-35 Zoom..Mint........$1850 Includes optional hood

280 4.0........Mint........$3400

1.4 TC.........Mint........$950

50 Lux Safari Mint.......$600

I will be happy to shoot pictures for any interested buyers. They won't exactly look like they were shot by Marc Williams but will be good enough for evaluations LOL

Woody

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody,

Is the 80 Lux with ROM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course. Would a gearhead like me have anything less LOL!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man, I guess I won't sell my gear here! Between Woody and Marc, I can't handle the competition. I am getting ready to sell my DMR and some of the R lenses, but I am thinking of waiting until photokina to sell the lenses as I think they will be worth more after an R10 announcement...
    Great stuff though Woody, I wish you the best for your sale! This is some seriously amazing glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody - I will buy your 280 and the 1.4.TC

Pete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart after a lot of thinking and testing - I have decided that I prefer to use Leica glass on 35mm well above any other as I don't really need auto focus.

I have placed myself in a state of mind regarding Leica R announcements or not so that I actually don't care about the timing or not of a new R camera I know my DMR back delivers the quality I like. Same for my M8 and a three lenses - that will stay as my light travel kit.

My current gear buying focus is on finessing my MFD decision and after using Marc's H3D-31 am even more convinced regarding the quality and excellence of this system...the clear choice of me now is between a H3D11-39 or a multi-shot version of same as my final MF 'solution'.

So it is Leica and Hasselblad for me and Alpa with Schneider as my eccentric exotic.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

so Peter, as one close to the same decision (after finding the HB was same weight as Hy6) yet to be handled of course, what would drive your selection, MS vs not? I see no downside for MS except COST

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    so Peter, as one close to the same decision (after finding the HB was same weight as Hy6) yet to be handled of course, what would drive your selection, MS vs not? I see no downside for MS except COST
    I spent some time talking about MS with Marc (academic interest only LOL) and it is incredibly sensitive to vibration. Virtually useless in the field and even in studio requires judicious vibration control. You don't walk behind the camera when it is shooting or you lose all the advantage of the multi shot.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

well 7 microns aint much!

However O do usually use the manfetto long lens bar and it makes a bigtime difference in shots.

BTW, how long are the MS? I assume there are like several seconds or so between scans, but maybe not. could be as fast as the normal fire rate, but that stll means about 6 sec an image for 4 frames.

Post Thanks / Like

Woody,
    That is some great glass! I'd be interested in the 15, and 19, and 280 had I not just spent too much money on lenses for my MF system too. I've already got my 35-70 elmarit and hope to use it on a r10 someday. Good luck with your sale and MF system.
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor - the multi-shot can be used with care in the field , or as a single shot, but in MS mode really this is for studio still life work and fabrics.The only 'sacrifice is a slightly larger digiback size. Real question is whether you 'need' this particular still life capacity as if a P45+ or a 39 HB isnt 'enough'? I don't think I need it.
    I think I have firmed up my thinking re the 'best' as in what works for me. I don't really care about what other people think either way. Happy to shar emy view sometimes - but not really caring about sensibilities and I disliek fan boy atitudes.

I already have a 35-70 2.8.

I wont be buying a CF back - I get all the functionality I need from the H3D-39 and thats what i am going to get. Alpa is on HD and any view camera I ight play with can be mounted by H series backs. If yo are stuck on having 'only Contax' well thats your problem mate LOL..I cant help but think that ANY bolt on bolt off back is going to be as accurate as a dedicated back if you get my drift..

That Hy/H2 was an interesting thread - alot of personal style perference info and not too much factual inaccuracy..interesting all inaccuracies consistently coming from Sinar based shooters regarding HB..LOL

Any other acquisition ideas?

Cheers
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've never shot with a MS back, but I have used the Bettelight scanning back a lot in the field. Bottom line is I assume the MS back is similar in that subject or camera movement is your enemy. Minor motion, like fluttering leaves can actually add an interesting element to a landscape image, but gross movements, like in larger winds, waterfalls or rivers, can be more problematic on the processing end. So I would extrapolate that from a practical standpoint MS is really only going to be useful in a studio environment...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Woody,
    That is some great glass! I'd be interested in the 15, and 19, and 280 had I not just spent too much money on lenses for my MF system too. I've already got my 35-70 elmarit and hope to use it on a r10 someday. Good luck with your sale and MF system.
    Eric
    Eric

The 35-70, 280, 100 Macro and 1.4 TC are all gone anyway now. However the 15 and 19 are still available if you change your mind.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Victor - . If yo are stuck on having 'only Contax' well thats your problem mate LOL..I cant help but think that ANY bolt on bolt off back is going to be as accurate as a dedicated back if you get my drift..

That Hy/H2 was an interesting thread - alot of personal style perference info and not too much factual inaccuracy..interesting all inaccuracies consistently coming from Sinar based shooters regarding HB..LOL

Any other acquisition ideas?

Cheers
    Pete
    Where id you het the "only Contax" idea. A little clue that I am looking to add to my MF another platform is the, Hy/H2 thread; guess what started it?

ANyway, do not want the contax people to think they will see a lot of gear 'for sale' The Contax will rewmain my MF focal plane shutter camera (both Hy6 and H3 are leaf/lens and under 1/1000. When you do flying objects, that doesnt hack it!.

anyway, right now I need to est the MF leaf shutter H6 or H3. Leaning H3 since it is 645

didnt realize you were fixed yet on the H3D II. From what you say, I assume it is NOT the MS.

Regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Woody,
    It's easier pass on your lenses since my R8 has been broken and in service for months now. :-(
    I'll probably sell a few of my R lenses at some point but will definitely keep my 35-70 elmarit and my 100apo macro - great lenses and yes my 80 lux too. I had thought about selling all the R gear to buy a Hy6 or AFi but just couldn't bring myself to do it - so I congratulate you for your courage.
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    It's easier pass on your lenses since my R8 has been broken and in service for months now. :-(
    I'll probably sell a few of my R lenses at some point but will definitely keep my 35-70 elmarit and my 100apo macro - great lenses and yes my 80 lux too. I had thought about selling all the R gear to buy a Hy6 or AFi but just couldn't bring myself to do it - so I congratulate you for your courage.
    Eric
    Eric

I am definitely not courageous, just broke!!LOL

MF is not for the faint of heart but i really want to get that level of resolution and quality for large print fine art landscape work. I would love to be wealthy enough to afford MF and still keep all that wonderful R glass for the next coming of digital R but not going to happen. I suspect the pain will go away as I get the hoped for results from my Hassy V and Zeiss lenses with the CFV back. While only 16MPx they are wonderful pixels and give outstanding results. The proof of the pudding is in the images.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I've never shot with a MS back, but I have used the Bettelight scanning back a lot in the field. Bottom line is I assume the MS back is similar in that subject or camera movement is your enemy. Minor motion, like fluttering leaves can actually add an interesting element to a landscape image, but gross movements, like in larger winds, waterfalls or rivers, can be more problematic on the processing end. So I would extrapolate that from a practical standpoint MS is really only going to be useful in a studio environment...
    If anything - once i clean up my current testing kit of 3 MFD backs full Contax and almost full H system of lenses - the Betterlight system may be the smartest alternative back for panorama landscapes..

I know NOTHING about this system and I ( currently ) dont have a suitable camera platform for it but an Ebony and a couple of nice LF lenses with a Betterlight isnt going to break the bank - hence it appeals as a 'different' way

That being said - the 39 megapixel backs have stunning resolution read cropability ( and a less finicky workflow I am guessing)

We are truly blessed with choices these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Eric

I am definitely not courageous, just broke!!LOL

MF is not for the faint of heart but i really want to get that level of resolution and quality for large print fine art landscape work. I would love to be wealthy enough to afford MF and still keep all that wonderful R glass for the next coming of digital R but not going to happen. I suspect the pain will go away as I get the hoped for results from my Hassy V and Zeiss lenses with the CFV back. While only 16MPx they are wonderful pixels and give outstanding results. The proof of the pudding is in the images.

Woody
    Fully understood. I tested the waters with my 6008 AF / P20 and plunged in when I saw the image quality and bought a whole lot of lenses. I expected to sell my other Canon and Leica gear to cover the costs, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet with the R stuff. The files that don't have any sparkle are the canon 5d files, and to think I used to be very satisfied with them! But the Leica DMR files are still good, just a bit shy on pixels but otherwise much more like the MF files than they are like the DSLR files. And the DMR is easier to use in a lot of cases than my Rollei. Still vacillating about the DMR... maybe I'll follow suit and sell my R glass but it will be hard to let go of that 35-70mm elmarit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fully understood. I tested the waters with my 6008 AF / P20 and plunged in when I saw the image quality and bought a whole lot of lenses. I expected to sell my other Canon and Leica gear to cover the costs, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet with the R stuff. The files that don't have any sparkle are the canon 5d files, and to think I used to be very satisfied with them! But the Leica DMR files are still good, just a bit shy on pixels but otherwise much more like the MF files than they are like the DSLR files. And the DMR is easier to use in a lot of cases than my Rollei. Still vacillating about the DMR... maybe I'll follow suit and sell my R glass but it will be hard to let go of that 35-70mm elmarit!
    Eric

Boy do I understand this in spades. Hope you can get all of your rationalizations in order so you can live with the choices. Sometimes I think the problem is that we don't know how to trade one set of values for the other. In other words, when we sell our R gear we get into a value proposition where we think we have given up on something valuable and don't know what we have gotten in return.

We don't need to do comparitive evaluations of one system vs another. If 135 format is your deal (my deal) then there is no need to compare Leica vs Canon vs Nikon. It is what it is. But if you are looking for the best resolution for a given sensor then the choice of size is the total deal.My choice of the 16 mpix sensor of the CFV is not perfect but a real choice for my way of seeing †he world. Go figure!!!!!363

Can't wait until Tuesday when my CFV arrives. Who knows what evil awaits the hearts of man

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, I could not agree more. The choices we make one day are absolutely right for that time. Often it seems we forget that time moves on, and so do our needs. I am also sitting on still a lot of the very same glass you are selling, and meanwhile, I do not own a body to use any of it. Nor, as a working Pro, is any of it generating me one dime of income. Much as I admire all of these Leica lenses, and yes, will miss their stunning quality, without a back to shoot them on they are pretty worthless as paperweights.

I started out to sell my MF Contax system, with my Aptus 75S, as that was the most money invested. Then couldn't pull the trigger with the whole kit and let it go, after selling some of my lenses and other attachments. Then it was consideration of selling off my whole M8 system, but again I could not do the work I use that system for, so it came off the table. The only things left are my great need for an accurate 35mm system, and all these Leica R lenses sitting around here collecting dust at the moment. Oh, and the bills that do keep going on, demanding to be paid <Grin>.

So after much soul searching, I too must follow my old rule, if I haven't used a piece of gear in the last year, it needs to get sold and replaced by something i do need in my business, and will use to generate me income. I just this past week lost a job because I could not get a stinking decent 35mm rental here in time to meet the client's deadline. So if I am ever to dream about buying an R10 when they start shipping, I best get my income stream working where it should be, and the right equipment into my bag that allows me to work the way I want. Bravo on your own strength of conviction, and on the example you set for us all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean I am not a sick person and buying and selling is normal. i can cancel the shrink. Oh what joy. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chuck totally agree with you , i am in the air once again. The Mf gear just makes your heart stop a beat and trying to figure ways how to justify the expense. For all of us we need to make decisions based on what feels good and makes sense. There is no shame ever in dumping something for something else if it will work better for you. If it sits it's worthless to me. To have a system just to have it is well hate to say it stupid. It has to be working

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    I am the lucky guy who just joined the 35-70 club, and what a magnificent lens it is. On a cold and overcast day in Colorado, with snow spitting out of the sky, Woody and I met for breakfast, warmed ourselves with cups of coffee and chatted photographic philosophy. The time passed quickly and soon I was on the road back to Denver.
    Thank you very much, Woody.
    Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your a lucky man. Awesome lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody:

Can you update us with a list of lenses still available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Woody:

Can you update us with a list of lenses still available?
    Hey Rob

Up until mid day tomorrow I still have the 15's, both elmarit and super elmar, 50 lux safari, 80 lux, 180 elmarit and 21-35. I have a buyer for the lot so if you want individual pieces please let me know ASAP. I am leaving for a trip to PA to visit my 91 year old Mama and will be out of touch.

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wasn't interested in anything in particular, just wondering what the market was like for R glass.

Robert