The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: ADECENT SPOTTING SCOPE

Sparky16

WTB: A DECENT SPOTTING SCOPE

I am thinking to get a DECENT SPOTTING SCOPE.
I am not looking for the most expensive or top of the line or anything close to it. Rather just a decent scope priced @ a few hundred dollars...PM me with what you have to offer.

Please understand I am not ready to commit to buy yet, but definitely interested to know what's out there

My main purpose is to watch birds and wildlife from a few hundred yards away, but I am not a hunter. I also heard about DIGISCOPING, I am not sure how exactly it's being done. But it can be a poor man's super-tele, right?

Here is the link to some amaging photos I found : http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/Galeria/Aves-Birds/3540865_6D86H#211104996_SETUP

Last edited:
M

Mango

Sparky, Here's a good website for your research:

http://betterviewdesired.com/

It seems that you have not owned a spotting scope before, so let me add my $0.02 into the mix. I used to have a Svarowski spotting scope, one of the best scopes available, you can read a car's license plate very clearly from over half a mile and it's waterproof. I eventually sold it because I don't like a tripod assisted, one-eyed view of birds or other objects, and prefer a good pair of binoculars.

With spotting scopes (and binos) you get what you pay for, and it you go cheap, you will experience a lot of color separation, and eye strain after a while. If you get the best of breed (Svarowski, Leica or Zeiss), you will be amazed at the quality of what you see and will have no eye strain. The good thing with these is that if you get tired of them you can recoup your investment.

With an adapter, you can attach a camera to the scope, but the aperture will be f8 or f11, so unless the bird is a stuffed animal, you won't get sharp pictures, as your shutter speed will be too slow. Douglas Herr is one of the top bird photographers on this site, see what he does with a Leica lens:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/

Best of luck with your search.

Last edited:

Sparky16

Thanks for your advice.

I probably go higher than a few hundred, but I am not sure how high I'd go...I am thinking a Good used Pentax, Nikon or Zeiss scope. I am not trying to steal anything, will pay going price.
Please PM me what you have to offer.

Steve

Sparky16

I am about to order a new Pentax PF-65EDA II w/ XW 14mm Eyepiece...
Does anyone want to retire a decent Spotting Scope? Please PM me. Thanks.

Steve

Sparky16

Can't wait much longer...hope this will be the last bump.

I am now considering Nikon Fieldscope II or III (ED50mm, 60 or 82mm with zoom or fixed focal eyepiece)