The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 asph black

P

pupduda

Seek mint summilux 50, from US or western Europe.
Many thanks.

eleanorbrown

I'm wondering why this lens isn't being carried by any dealer anywhere. B&H has had this on backorder for a very long time. anyone know what the problem is, is any, with production? eleanor

Seek mint summilux 50, from US or western Europe.
Many thanks.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leica produces their lenses in batches . They have to made a guess on how many will sell and also trade off the use of scarce capacity against other lenses. The popularity of the M9 is also driving demand for 50mm lenses which were less popular on the M8. The lens has been out of stock for months and is likely to become available in small quantities.

The is one of the two or three best all around lenses in the M series and a perfect fit for the M9.

eleanorbrown

Thanks Roger, you gave me more information than either of the 2 Leica reps I contacted could or would give me. answers my question. Eleanor

Leica produces their lenses in batches . They have to made a guess on how many will sell and also trade off the use of scarce capacity against other lenses. The popularity of the M9 is also driving demand for 50mm lenses which were less popular on the M8. The lens has been out of stock for months and is likely to become available in small quantities.

The is one of the two or three best all around lenses in the M series and a perfect fit for the M9.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Eleanor

I think the Leica reps have been told to stay out of the product availability discussions ..for their own good. The Leica factory is much smaller than most would ever guess . The lens elements are ground on just a few machines and are done in batches. A fixture is loaded with blanks ..maybe 24? and then the machine slowly polishes them into lens elements. These are expensive machines and require skilled technicians to set up and monitor . Its always been the elements availability that is the limiting factor . The availability of the rare element blanks (which are super expensive) is the other issue.

nikon had the same problem with their exotic long glass last year..couldn t get the glass blanks and guessed too low on demand.

If you have an M9 this is the 50 to get..if however you have an M8 you might like the pre asph 50.

eleanorbrown

Thanks again Roger. All this is very interesting....I'm a brand new Leica user (M9) and knew the glass was good but I was not prepared for just how good it is. (currently I own the 35 cron asph and 75 cron asph). Eleanor

Eleanor

I think the Leica reps have been told to stay out of the product availability discussions ..for their own good. The Leica factory is much smaller than most would ever guess . The lens elements are ground on just a few machines and are done in batches. A fixture is loaded with blanks ..maybe 24? and then the machine slowly polishes them into lens elements. These are expensive machines and require skilled technicians to set up and monitor . Its always been the elements availability that is the limiting factor . The availability of the rare element blanks (which are super expensive) is the other issue.

nikon had the same problem with their exotic long glass last year..couldn t get the glass blanks and guessed too low on demand.

If you have an M9 this is the 50 to get..if however you have an M8 you might like the pre asph 50.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks again Roger. All this is very interesting....I'm a brand new Leica user (M9) and knew the glass was good but I was not prepared for just how good it is. (currently I own the 35 cron asph and 75 cron asph). Eleanor
You maybe interested that the 50 asph and the 75 asph were designed by the same team at the same time. They are very similar renderings.