The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Arca-Swiss Cube

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Kalex, in fairness to Glowrider I did not get that. What I got is that he offered it for immediate sale at $2000, including shipping and paypal, then simply indicated he'd be open to hearing offers, which by convention implies LOWER offers -- and that is pretty common practice, even here.

Let's not drag this listing down to the level of an FM bitch session. We've all said our peace and Glowrider has the right to ask whatever he wants for anything he has for sale, as do you and I and everybody else. The beauty of a free market system is it will eventually determine the "actual" sales price...

One minor comment going forward. If one is placing an item for sale at significantly higher than current new prices, it would be polite to add in a reason why with the original listing. In this case, GLowrider did this after he was challenged on his pricing, and had he simply stated at the beginning of the auction something like, "I know this is priced well over current retail, but it does not appear to be in stock anywhere at this time."

David K

Workshop Member
I know David and he's a fine photographer and a great guy to have a drink with. I'd agree that the tone of his post is not what we're accustomed to here on DPI, although the price doesn't bother me that much as potential buyers of the Cube are likely to be pretty sophisticated. He got slammed on LULA for pretty much the same post. Maybe he's been living in NYC (where I'm from) for too long :) I'd love to see him contribute to the MF forum... some of his work is outstanding.

dogstarnyc

Glowrider is I think based in NYC like myself.. it is an abrupt place, unlike the other 49 states, hence being 'normal and direct' there is often seen as brash and harsh elsewhere.

He's free to do what he likes and how he likes, as we are free to comment, they say it's a free country (it's not) and the GREAT GetDPI forum proves to be free so well..

The fact that after entertaining offers on LL and then putting it on here later, to me says the market isn't ready to pay what he wants for it.

No need for us all to get uptight about... lets get out and shoot more... :) .. on our great kit...

S

Eoin

:talk028:Group hug!, the brotherhood and sisterhood of GetDPI is quite different to other fora for sure. Welcome David, birth by fire for sure. Should you choose to stick around, I'm sure all will extend warm welcomes to you :D.
We seldom bite here.:ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think that commenting on price is kind of a double edged sword. Personally I think it's probably ok to quote IN STOCK new prices elsewhere when an item is obviously priced out of whack, but it's not ok to quote lower selling prices for used gear that my be in different condition or sold under different circumstances.

Once you go start questioning a selling price the sale posting here is basically killed off and hence why other sites do not permit this.

Let the buyers determine the real price in a free market. If something is priced wrong, it won't sell. Simple.

JimCollum

I've seen a lot of introductory posts in the past couple weeks where someone comes to the forum, and the first thing they post is a "for sale". As has been said before, this is a community.. and I personally liken that behavior to the random cold call you get just as you're sitting down to dinner, and someone's trying to sell you a subscription to something or other.

Glowrider (David). Welcome to the forum. I think you'd of had a much better reaction if you had joined... been involved in discussions on your and others work/workflow/etc *before* posting a for sale sign. I agree with Jack.. the price will be determined by who wants to buy it.. I'm more concerned about drive-by postings *just* to make a sale.. and not to participate

gsking

I think that commenting on price is kind of a double edged sword. Personally I think it's probably ok to quote IN STOCK new prices elsewhere when an item is obviously priced out of whack, but it's not ok to quote lower selling prices for used gear that my be in different condition or sold under different circumstances.

Once you go start questioning a selling price the sale posting here is basically killed off and hence why other sites do not permit this.

Let the buyers determine the real price in a free market. If something is priced wrong, it won't sell. Simple.
I love the politics of this thread. So many analogies can be made to the different philosophies of the left vs. the right.

On this point, however, I don't agree that quoting free market prices somehow inhibits free market pricing. It in no way kills off the listing, as you claim. On the contrary, it keeps it floating to the top. Bad press is better than no press, right? As Jack said, someone might want it immediately and only see it if it gets the bumps, even if they may be negative ones.

Other sites don't permit commenting just to avoid these sorts of fights, I suspect. But I don't think they help the buyers. In many cases, they restrict assistance being provided to unaware sellers. The only thing they do is support (as mentioned above) less-scrupulous sellers.

It reminds me of liberals who advocate freedom of speech, except for speech that may offend someone. It's intrinsically contradictary.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm not sure that I subscribe to the all publicity is good publicity angle personally.

Perhaps an example would help - Seller X posts an item at $500 when the new price is $600. Along comes a poster who says that a similar item was sold elsewhere for $300 (even though the going price universally is $500 and the other sale was perhaps a one off or a different condition item). That type of post tends to kill a sale offer in my experience. It might be considered as someone doing a 'service' for others who might be potential buyers but it's poor practice IMHO, particularly if the lower priced offers aren't actually available. By all means put that in a forum post but not in B&S.

My $0.02 ... :sleep006:

stephengilbert

My two cents: what if a stranger offers something to your friend at a price you think is unfair? Does your loyalty to the market prevail then?

I don't think caveat emptor applies among friends. This isn't eBay.