The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Zeiss 50mm ZM 1.5 C Sonnar T* - Mint - In Box

1k2go

I have a Zeiss 50mm ZM 1.5 C Sonnar T* in the box for sale. There is not a mark on this lens, as it was only used twice.

I ended up siding on a 28mm for my M8 instead.

Asking $900 net to me.

Thanks.

M5-Guy

This is a sweet lens....
I have one,
and the colors are "Spot On"
The sharpness at f/1.5 on a m43 is SHARP!
The Bokeh is wonderful also.. 3D look!
Good luck

1k2go

I have no idea what it's optimized for. I'm assuming 1.5. Is there an easy way to tell?

M5-Guy

I have no idea what it's optimized for. I'm assuming 1.5. Is there an easy way to tell?
Yes, If at f/1.5 at 1m-2m the image is tad soft,(Front Focus), (Using a RF to focus, not Live View), it is optimized for f/2.8... The reasoning is that it emulates the slight OOF effect of the 1940's PJ street portrait shooters who used the 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar's, which this lens was designed to emulate. There is a focus shift from f/1.5 to f/2.8 1m-2m (BTW, this was a design on purpose by Zeiss). But, so may people want tack sharp at wide open with the "Sonnar Look" that Zeiss would change it free under warranty, but, then, from f/2.8 and smaller, there was a focus shift. And they offered f/1.5 optimized lens latter on in the production.

On a Digital where you can use Live View to focus, the shift is a non issue.

1k2go

My guess is that it's optimized for 2.8. I don't recall any literature when buying it about it being optimized for 1.5, and it does get a bit for softness around 1-2m.

Thanks for the help.

Double Negative

Not Available
What would be the reason for Zeiss doing this on purpose?
It's a "specialty lens" of sorts. An old design - with a lot of lovely character. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you work it, and get to know it - it delivers some amazingly unique images, most especially wide open. I have one and it's a keeper.

You might think of it as an f/2.8 lens with a "bonus range" down to f/1.5. From f/2.8 on, it's comparable to typical modern lenses. If you shoot it wide open at f/1.5, like, all the time - it might be worthwhile to have it optimized for that.