Site Sponsors

Thread: Mamiya ADF-II body and 80mm 2.8 lens

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mamiya ADF-II body and 80mm 2.8 lens

Making room for new kit . 2100 or best offer paypal , shipped free . US only. This needs to go

This is in excellent condition got as demo last month. Have all caps and hoods for lens and body front and back. Part of the ZD kit

hand strap and neck strap not included in picture . But does come with neck strap from Mamiya
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mamiya ADF-II body and 80mm 2.8 lens

ok.. fess up.. what's the new kit going to be????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most likely a P25 Plus
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want ALL your thoughts Guy - before you buy!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a lot actually and there all very positive. Which one would think that maybe hard but the damn things just work and for me that is the key. Interesting also is what you think each back is comes up pretty true in the images. The P45 plus has the best detail, the P30 actually does also which surprised me with the micro lenses. I think the P25 plus is a great back though and maybe has the slight edge in DR but very close in detail to the others. One clue that is a must knowledge. You get a Phase Back than count on C1 NO QUESTION it is the best raw processing for the files. Try a super clean 1600 out of the P30 plus that is just scary clean, in crap light no less. But when I get home I give a full report on them. But each one is a thumbs up and reason i still am looking at the 25 and 30. They each have there Pro's about them

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have a lot actually and there all very positive. Which one would think that maybe hard but the damn things just work and for me that is the key. Interesting also is what you think each back is comes up pretty true in the images. The P45 plus has the best detail, the P30 actually does also which surprised me with the micro lenses. I think the P25 plus is a great back though and maybe has the slight edge in DR but very close in detail to the others. One clue that is a must knowledge. You get a Phase Back than count on C1 NO QUESTION it is the best raw processing for the files. Try a super clean 1600 out of the P30 plus that is just scary clean, in crap light no less. But when I get home I give a full report on them. But each one is a thumbs up and reason i still am looking at the 25 and 30. They each have there Pro's about them
    Guy

There have been many discussions of color shift with the P30 apparently due to the microlenses. Did you notice evidence of this in your brief tests?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Your report thus far is what I saw in my P25 and P30+. The P30+ has the ability to render very finest details and may be attributed to resolution of the sensor. In addition it can also handles a lot of USM. I used ISO 1600 when I need to and processing in C1 is a pleasure. The skin tone is also very accurate on the P30+ and thus far the best I have used.

Best Regards,
    -Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Guy

There have been many discussions of color shift with the P30 apparently due to the microlenses. Did you notice evidence of this in your brief tests?

Woody

Woody et al,
    Next week I will test the P30+ on the PC auto bellows in shift, tilt and shift + tilt functions for you to see the color shift. The image circle of the lens I will be using is as large as 4x5 inches with high resolution and therefore should provide plenty of room to carry out these applications. Some of the reports of color shift may be attributed to data from smaller image circle lens. Nontheless, I will set to prove or disprove the hypothesis soon for you.

Best Regards,
    -Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Guy - I am looking forward to your views and a comparison/thoughts between the the three.

Son - you too!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No color shift but tomorrow we will have Horseman SWD II in hand at the Rainforest and a 35 digitar.I would expect there would be color shift with theP30 plus , which is really not intended for tilt and shift work. But these backs are for different audiences. The P30 is truly the wedding , fashion shooter or someone that needs high ISO work. And it is damn good at that type of work and in fact i hired two models for todays afternoon shoot and I will use the P30. The P25 plus I would call the best all around back it will do everything well and really my choice just because i have no idea sometimes what I would be called to do. The P45 plus is the landscape or large format printing tool . It does have the best detail for the guy that has to have the most detail out there but trust me the P25 is no slouch at all and all of the backs files have a ton of pushing around in them.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For Guy and Son RE: Color Shift

My understanding is that the RAW processing software can correct for color shift. True? If you do experience the color shifting in your testing could you comment on whether you think the software does a good job with the correction or if it is lacking in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance is sitting right next to me and he can answer this better than I

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are controls in CaptureOne to compensate for Lens Cast , but the amount of it on the P30 will be more significant and therefore it is not recommended for use on a cameras with movements.
    If you want to use movements use the p20,p21,p25 or p45.

Here is an excerpt right from the Phase One knowledge-base:

" The CCD used on the P 30 makes use of an extremely small microlens for each pixel. The microlens design increases the performance of the CCD by focusing more light into the center of the pixel well where the CCD is most efficient. The microlens design improves the sensor efficiencies for light reaching the sensor at extreme angles. At increasing angles of incident light, the microlens will be less and less efficient until no light at all is focused into the pixel wells.

For normal use on a medium format camera, the angle of incident light does not exceed the limitation even though you make use of wide angle lenses. If P30 is used on the large format cameras using tilts, swings, and shifts you may exceed the angle of light. In these cases the first thing you will observe is a significant light fall-off on the edges of the image. "

Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a question:

Why is the micro lens in the P30 (+) gives way to color casting while other digital sensors such as Canon and others with the micro lens do not yield similar problem? Does this mean it is more than just the micro lens alone or other hardware and software can attenuate the problem?

Thanks,
    -Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    I have a question:

Why is the micro lens in the P30 (+) gives way to color casting while other digital sensors such as Canon and others with the micro lens do not yield similar problem? Does this mean it is more than just the micro lens alone or other hardware and software can attenuate the problem?

Thanks,
    -Son
    Son:

My DMR has the color cast when used with the 28mm Leica shift. Sadly, the cast correction in Flexcolor or Capture one only works with files from the manufacturer's MFDB, not DMR files.

This is 10mm of shift.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Which camera body will you then go with for use with the PhaseOne back?

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new Phase One/Mamiya AFD-III. New body and lens costs 5k

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, very cool. Sorry, my post was off-topic and was just going to delete it, but since you've answered the question I'll leave it (unless you want to delete it).

Good luck on your sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No it's fine. Yes staying in the Mamiya family. They run very smooth and the glass is very good for the money

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sold