The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Konica Hexanon 90/2.8

Lloyd

I'm selling my much-loved Konica Hexanon 90mm f2.8 lens. I love everything about this lens, and agonized over this, but can't justify keeping four lenses in this focal length, so this (and two others to be listed separately) has to go.

Very clean, I can't see a mark on it. Aperture blades are oil-free, and the aperture ring clicks crisply between stops. Focus is firm and smooth. Glass is clean and clear. To my old eyes, the lens looks like new.

Comes with generic front and rear caps. Not six-bit coded.

Price: $900.00, plus shipping. PayPal preferred, but add 3%.

View attachment 35174

View attachment 35177

View attachment 35175

View attachment 35176

Godfrey

Just a question:

Why is the Konica Hexanon AR 90/2.8 considered to be so valuable? I looked it up elsewhere ... and where most Konica lenses sell in the $60-250 max range, this one goes for big money. I'd never looked at it before, so I'm curious.

Lloyd

There are a couple of the Konica M-mounts that are that way, the 60mm f1,4, for example. Rare that you ever see one for sale. Maybe because their great performers, and people who own them rarely part with them. The 90 is a real gem. I currently own four M-mount lenses in this focal length, and this one was a favorite... great size, wonderful results. I wouldn't sell it, but I need to raise some $$ at the moment.

D&A

Just a small correction Lloyd...the Konica M mount 60mm was a f1.2, not a 1.4 .

Lloyd is correct, they are lovely performers. I owned three different focal length Konica Hexar M lenses when they first came out and tested them against the Leica equivelents (on film) at that time and they were every bit as good and then some...both optically and fit and finish.

Dave (D&A)

kanzlr

Just a question:

Why is the Konica Hexanon AR 90/2.8 considered to be so valuable? I looked it up elsewhere ... and where most Konica lenses sell in the $60-250 max range, this one goes for big money. I'd never looked at it before, so I'm curious.
the M mount ones are all rather expensive, especially the 28, 90, 50/2 and the fast ones even more so. Also the dual lenses and the 35/2 UC.

the Konica SLR lenses are cheap because there are no modern bodies to use them on.

For the 90mm I can say that it is a superb performer. I am selling my Elmarit-M because the Konica is that good.

Godfrey

the M mount ones are all rather expensive, especially the 28, 90, 50/2 and the fast ones even more so. Also the dual lenses and the 35/2 UC.

the Konica SLR lenses are cheap because there are no modern bodies to use them on.

For the 90mm I can say that it is a superb performer. I am selling my Elmarit-M because the Konica is that good.
I was referring to the Hexanon AR SLR series lenses. Yes, it's sad that they're orphaned as Konica made some very nice lenses over the years. The little Hexanon AR 40/1.8 I picked up for use on Micro-FourThirds is a delight and cost near nothing.

I expect the M-Bayonet lenses to be expensive as they were a specialty series only made for a limited time and offered at the top of Konica's market.

I didn't notice that this was an M lens. DoH! ;-)

Farnz

Lloyd,

I believe that Konica designed its M-mount lenses for the Hexar and there is a tiny difference in the register distance that causes some Konica lenses to miss focus on Leica M bodies.:( Would you kindly confirm whether you have found this lens to achieve sharp focus on a Leica M body without back or front focus problems please?

Many thanks,
Pete.

Lloyd

Hi Pete. Sorry to be slow to respond. I wasn't near my computer. Actually, funny you should ask. I was aware of that issue, so I actually tested my lens. Not a real scientific test, but I put the camera on a tripod, and focused at a certain number on a tape measure. In this case the 24, which is in red. Here are three examples. The first wide open (I think, at least close to it), the second at f6,7, and the third at f11. These are pretty close to minimum focus distance. But in answer to your question, I didn't have any issues that I noticed. I'll post a couple of examples of shots taken with the lens in a separate post.
View attachment 35385
View attachment 35386
View attachment 35387

ramosa

fine rendering in the captures, which makes this such an intriguing lens. it's also good the focus seems to be in line (as that is a problem on some hex 90s). great lens.