The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21mm Super-Angulon-M f/3.4 chrome

overgaarcom

21mm Super-Angulon-M f/3.4 chrome.

This is a lens with a funky look on the M9. It works well, but without automatic metering. You have to either figure out the difference, use external light meter, or use the display to correct the exposure (I've always done the two latter).

It's easy to work with in that when you set it to 3.5 meters at f/3.4, it's sharp from 1.5 meters to infinity. So if there is one lens you won't have any focusing issues with ever, it's this one.

This lens is partly a collectors item when in chrome, partly (for me) a funky lens that creates a special look. This particular sample from 1964 has worn front coating and has something that makes the front section a bit loose (always has been like that, has no importance for the image). Either you like the look of this, and when shooting into direct light you may or may not strengthen contrast (so as to make up for the effect of the worn coating). It's a look and it's an old lens made of soft glass by Schneider why Leica can't and won't fix the coating.
It's been used a lot by a Danish newspaper photographer (1964-2001), and then by me from 2001 till today.

Price 1,800 Euro

If you want a perfect optical edition of this lens, look for a black (available from 1,000 - 1,400 Euro), or a perfect chrome from for example Leica Camera Berlin (2,450 Euro for one in condition B). The perfect edition will still have that milky look when shot against the light, but if you feel perfection is important, go for a condition A or B instead.
Should you get this one and decide the moment you see it that it's the most ugly lens you have ever laid your eyes on, you may return it to me and get the money back, except the freight costs.

If you MUST have a 21mm viewfinder for this, also in chrome (and as worn as the lens) this be sold for 300 Euro with the lens. But I'm selling it without as I have other use for the viewfinder currently.

Below a few samples of what the lens can do with or against the light.

ashwinrao1

To own one of Thorsten's lenses would be an honor! Best of luck with the sale! Wish I could do it, but alas, no funds...

cam

this is one of my favourite wide angle lenses all my Leica bodies (film and digital). i love the look and find it very unique.

for those that are scared of it's lack of metering and not confident of their metering skills, i've found using anywhere between -2 1/3 and -3 EV compensation (depending on the light) usually does the trick.