The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about buy/sell escrow services

awslee

I do not know if this belongs here, but does anyone is aware of or have used an escrow service to buy/sell camera equipments? I have an opportunity to buy a collector's item, but would like to have an escrow arrangement due to not be able to inspect the item personally.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

trev2401

Yes i have, but quite sometime back. (2005?)

www.escrow.com was the site i used, and was for an Contax RTS III purchased via ebay.

Quite pricey from what i remembered, (3% from each side - 6% of selling price.. but prices may have changed.) but they ensured that the money stayed with them till i received and approved of the camera body.

more details: https://www.escrow.com/solutions/escrow/process.asp

Oh yes, do be careful of non-legit escrow sites too.

Hope this helps.

S

Superflyguy

Paypal itself is also an escrow service.

They arent ideal since you dont get the chance to properly inspect the goods before buying.
Little scary if your buying items of 4 figures value!

But better than nothing I suppose.

mbf4755

Beware of Craigslist scams.

There are quite a bit of them with too-good-to-be-true prices and the required use of an obscure escrow service, because the seller happens to be out of town.

Matt

David K

Workshop Member
You might see if some kind of private party escrow arrangement would work. A friend of mine recently sold a large amount of gear to an overseas buyer who was reluctant to part with his funds without knowing he'd get the gear. My buddy brought the gear to a well known and respected camera dealer who inspected it and agreed to ship it out upon receipt of payment. Bottom line... deal got done and might have fallen apart without the third party escrow agent.