The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: RRS MC-L: Universal L Plate

D&A

Hi Steve,

I just purchased a new one since I already had a spare Leica Grip and so the RRS MC-L went right on. Works exactly as expected and since I use a Leica strap on the body BUT with o-rings on each side (rather than the Leica arrangement of those sharp clips with the black piece), the L plate just about clears them. I hear with the Leica clips and black piece, the L plate doesn't quite clear those pieces.

Dave (D&A)

kuau

Workshop Member
Dave, so are you selling yours? or are you just letting me know that it works ok?

Steven

D&A

Hi Steve,

No, not selling, just wanted to give a vote of confidence that it works O.K., since some individuals had some questions about this product, vs. the new all in one RRS "bottom, grip and built in vertical/horizontal plate" they came out recently for the M8 and M9. Since with the newer "all in one" I beleive the body strap has to be detached and reattached to the RRS on one side...that makes it a bit cumbersome for some, depending how it's going to be used. With the RRS L plate you asked about, the strap can remain attached to the body on both sides BUT only if you use "O" rings or thin "triangle pieces" that attach your Leica strap to the M8/M9 body. If you use the original Leica metal pieces with that sliding black piece, then it will not clear the RRS L plate on one side (as there is little clearance) and their is no attachment point for it on the RRS L plate unlike the new RRS "all in one" has.

One last thing. Some have mentioned that the RRS L plate can eventually mar up the bottom plate it's attached to. Maybe that only happens if one is taking it on and off repeatedly? I cannot verify that, as I have now only have attached it once to a Leica grip I have and it will stay on there perminanatly and only be switched out with the original Leica bottom plate when I need to use a tripod.

Bottom line is when comparing the RRS L plate vs.new RRS "all in one"...each has advantages and disadvanatges. If you don't have a Leica grip already and plan to use the RRS L plate attached to just a plain bottom plate, I feel the "All in one" is a better way to go with it's side grip. If you have a Leica grip handy to use in place of the regular bottom plate and can leave the RRS L plate attached at all times, then the lower cost and easy of leaving the original strap attached (as I described above) works fine. It's all a matter of preferance.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: