The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX-5 with 16mm + extras, trades possible

E

eyeheartny

I bought this new from Adorama last month, and it just isn't the camera for me. I realized I'm too spoiled coming from a dSLR and will be going back to a dSLR ASAP.

I have receipts and all original accessories. The camera is pristine and in new condition. I will also include a Domke Gripper strap and an extra battery.

I also have a Voigtlander 35/1.2 lens in mint condition with two filters for sale on here, and I'd consider a trade for certain dSLR combos. While I have my eye on a FF body, if someone had a D300 or Canon 5D for trade (open to others as well) I'd consider it.

$650 + shipping/PayPal. I need to recover my cost and I'm offering those extras as a deal-sweetener.

E

eyeheartny

In terms of a trade, here's one option: I'm looking for a D700 body, so I'll include the NEX-5 + 16mm, the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.2 lens + filters that I'm also selling on here, and cash for the D700 body. As long as the D700 is in good mechanical condition I'll take it. We can negotiate the amount of cash in question. Sound fair?

sidmuer

you should see if you can try this with a nice 28 asph or 50 asph!
It's a world of difference!
The kit lenses are a JOKE!

E

eyeheartny

you should see if you can try this with a nice 28 asph or 50 asph!
It's a world of difference!
The kit lenses are a JOKE!
I've got a 35mm Voigtlander f1.2 Nokton that is supposed to have similar performance to the 35mm Leicas, but I'm confronting two issues-- first, I just am not satisfied with several aspects of image quality with APS-C sensors, no matter how good. I also am realizing how spoiled I was coming from a dSLR and film SLR background and miss the controls. I got the NEX for compactness but I'm making too many compromises to make it work, between MF and lack of controls.

sidmuer

I've got a 35mm Voigtlander f1.2 Nokton that is supposed to have similar performance to the 35mm Leicas, but I'm confronting two issues-- first, I just am not satisfied with several aspects of image quality with APS-C sensors, no matter how good. I also am realizing how spoiled I was coming from a dSLR and film SLR background and miss the controls. I got the NEX for compactness but I'm making too many compromises to make it work, between MF and lack of controls.
That is a tough one.
Well, first, the 35mm Voigtlander is a nice lens for the price, no doubt.
But it doesn't hold the contrast, color, or sharpness to the asph Leica's. But it sure is a decent substitute for the price.

But if ISO performance and manual focus is your issues, coupled with the APS-C sensor, then I understand.
I used to own a D700 myself, and it is SUCH a wonderful camera. ESP the low light performance. I loved it. I've made some compromises. Esp since I prefer low light no flash photography at times. But I find myself using my camera a lot more now due to its convenience of size. More so than when I had the M9 even since the nex ISO performance is more forgiving.

Either way, good luck. You can't go wrong with a D700, and whoever gets your NEX is getting a great little compact! The pictures don't do its size justice. This thing is SMALL!

E

eyeheartny

The pictures don't do its size justice. This thing is SMALL!
It's true. It's about the size of an iPhone on the long and short axes, and the only thing that takes it out of iPhone sizing territory is the grip. Otherwise, it's exceptionally small. With a small Leica, Voigtlander, or Zeiss on it, it's a very discreet little camera.

E

eyeheartny

That is a tough one.

But if ISO performance and manual focus is your issues, coupled with the APS-C sensor, then I understand.
I used to own a D700 myself, and it is SUCH a wonderful camera. ESP the low light performance. I loved it.
Another issue is that I'm just not satisfied with the less-tangible qualities of APS-C sensors. I used to shoot a little bit of medium and large format film along with 35mm film, and it was so clear then the difference the larger film made. More "data" in an analog sense, you know? And with APS-C, the level of detail in the images just isn't the same as with a FF sensor. I've owned a few dSLRs (D70, D80, D90) and as great as the NEX-5 is, if it had a FF sensor I'd never let it leave my side. Instead, I'm just wanting the detail and shallower depth of field afforded by the larger sensor.

E

eyeheartny

Bump for a price drop to $600 + shipping/PayPal. If you use the gift option, I'll ship for $600.