The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Silver Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2

mathomas

I have a nice Silver Zeiss Planar that I'm selling. The lens is professionally 6-bit coded, and my M8 recognizes it as a 50mm. Admittedly, I've shot it 99% on my M2, rather than my M8. I'm selling because I have a Sonnar as well, and have decided to keep the Sonnar as my only 50mm. I also have a VC 35/1.2 on the way and I need to gather funds to make up for that purchase.

While it's in beautiful optical and physical condition, this copy unfortunately does have a touch of the Zeiss "wobble" you have likely read about on the fora. I've experienced it as having a bit of "play" in the focus ring, but tonight as I was fondling and inspecting it, I have to admit I noticed a bit of actual wobble, which accounts for the focus ring play.

This fact has never caused me any problems, and I shot a lot of great photos with it this way, and it honestly has never bothered me (I got it this way from the prior owner, and didn't hold it against him). The lens is as sharp as can be, and focus is dead-on, to my eye.

I'm asking a relatively low $585, which includes hood, caps, and boxes, Paypal and shipping. If it weren't for the wobble, I'd be asking $650. Please, no low-balls.

(beautiful M2 not included!)

A collection of random photos of, and by, the lens.