The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD-- VERY SAD DAY

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Dear forums mates:

My eyesight has reached the point where a manual focus camera is just impossible. I finished with some images of the grand kids yesterday and they are a mess. The focus is just terrible. I only have one eye that seems to have hope and it is failing me. By the time I get to close focus, I have missed the shot. Making me crazy! I can't tell you how this move upsets me. Jack and Guy know my love for Leica. This hurts!!

SO....back to the world of autofocus. Canon 5DII is on its way.

NOW...all my Leica gear is going. I thought before I put this marvelous machine, its lenses and accessories on eBay, I would let you guys here at DPI have first crack. Here are my eBay shots of the gear. Let me know if you have any interest. I can assure you, every piece is as MINT as it looks and in perfect working order. I think some of you know me well enough to trust my description to be correct. The only thing I did to the M9 was add the "black dot" and remove the white lettering from '"M9" to tone down its identity a bit. And, add the black soft release. It carries current firmware.

What you see are four shots of the M9 with three batteries, all cables, charger and Leica SDHC case (the strap hasn't even been opened), the Leica SF-24D flash unit, the 1.4x magnifier with extra chain, the Leica cable release and a CSEP-1 Thumbs Up. As you can see, everything has been well cared for. Lenses to follow...

Damn this is painful!

I will put the images up in two posts...hope this works from your end.

Email me directly with any questions at [email protected]. Happy to answer them!!

Last edited:

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Re: FS - VERY SAD DAY - continued

My lenses that I will be offering:

Shown are a 50mm F1.4 with two lenses hoods (folding rubber and steel w/Leica cap), protective filter, IR filter and a glass shot, the 21mm f1.4 with protective filter, extra lens cap and a glass shot, a Black 21mm Leica finder and case and the 90mm f2 with protective filter and a glass shot.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: FS - VERY SAD DAY

Wow, what a beautiful collection of gear. I'm sure this must be tough for you Reynolds. Good luck with the sale. The 5DII is a step-down for sure, but still a fine camera, and will work well on the grand kids.

Mike

Dale Allyn

A beautiful kit, Reynolds. As Mike says, we appreciate the process you're dealing with in this transition. If you need Canon lenses for your 5DII I'm thinking of listing a few here, but you're welcome to PM me if you're interested before I get to it.

Good luck with the sale of your fine Leica kit.

Double Negative

Not Available

Ugh, bummer. Sorry to hear you're stepping out on the M gear. The 5D2 will be a good camera - perhaps not quite on the same level, but very capable just the same.

I look forward to some prices as I might be game on the CSEP-1.

Reynolds

Workshop Member

Thanks so much for you kind words! Since we all know the probably prices for clean gear, if you are interested email me your offers at [email protected]. I am not interested in prolonging this agony. As I am telling everyone, "be merciful"!!!

As for the 5D II....it's the lightest thing I could find...agree?

Terry

Reynolds,
While it is sad that you have to change gear I think it is great that you got to enjoy Leica gear for very many years. Some of us with even younger eyes are hopeless at focus!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Reynolds,
I'm sorry to hear this. You have an artistic eye, so you will make wonderful images with the 5DII. Good luck.

thrice

It's not that bad, I used to have one, and unless you're carrying a lot of fast/long glass, it's quite manageable.

You can always pick up the Fuji X100 for some AF rangefinder action when that is available, APS-C and non-interchangeable lens though.

I really want that lux and cron... I would have to shift a LOT of my existing glass first though, condition looks truly mint.

Good luck with the sale, and good on you for not giving up on photography.

Terry

Thanks so much for you kind words! Since we all know the probably prices for clean gear, if you are interested email me your offers at [email protected]. I am not interested in prolonging this agony. As I am telling everyone, "be merciful"!!!

Reynolds, while I understand your thoughts on pricing we need to be consistent in applying the rules that do state that you must included prices in the listing.

Farnz

Reynolds,

Very sorry to hear of the condition that has forced you to make this move.

Have you perhaps considered a Leica Digilux 2 that is (the only/the first?) hybrid rangefinder/SLR, which offers autofocus, a superb 28 to 90 mm f2.0 to f/2.4 Vario-Summicron lens and exceptional IQ for such a humble camera? (The EVF is rudimentary but you can also use the rear screen to compose and focus if it helps.)

Pete.

Reynolds

Workshop Member

Gosh, guys...I should have read the rules. Let me put my pencil to this. My fault entirely. Didn't get that part.

kuau

Workshop Member

Reynolds,
Wow I know how you feel. Im am still a youngster just turned 48, but I have trouble sometimes focusing my M9 also, but I just grin and bear it, and do a little focus bracketing. Maybe in the future Leica will have some kind of focus verification light come on in the viewfinder, still being manual focus of course. What a shame. The M9 takes juts amazing photo's, yet for my day work I use a Nikon D3s AF on all the time.. Go figure.
Good luck with you sale. I wish I could afford your 21mm but I am sure it will be way out of my budget
Steven

kebebe

I may be interested in the 21mm, cable release, and M9 batteries. Please pm me with prices.

Sorry to hear that. I guess we all eventually Will hqve focusing problems.

Thks
Kebebe

Reynolds

Workshop Member

Now, let's see...prices

M9 and extras in photo.....$5900
1.4x Magnifier SOLD
Cable Release $30
Thumbs Up (1wk old) $125
SF 24D Flash $275
21mm f1.4 Lux $6000 including the 21mm finder.
50mm f1.4 Lux $3300 including all the extras in the lens photograph
90mm f2 $3000 including all the extras in the lens photograph

Think that's it!!

Last edited:

rodester

Reynolds,

So sorry to hear about this development. On the plus side, I have a 5DII that's produced many lovely shots, so, while it doesn't provide the pure visceral joy of photography that the rangefinder does, it still can deliver the goods.

I bought a WATE from Reynolds a few months back and found it exactly as advertised. Buy with confidence from a gentleman. Good luck with the sale, and with this new phase of your photography!

Brad

Reynolds

Workshop Member

Thanks for all the kind words, Brad! That's when I went to the 21mm. Man, I will miss this experience! Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

Jerry_R

Oh Reynolds! I still hope one day we will see FF EVIL:
http://leicarumors.com/2010/05/05/rumor-leica-evil-camera-for-photokina.aspx/

Waiting for it - I sold M9 too. But instead of Canon 5D II - I just recently started to use NEX with Zeiss "M" lenses. Earlier I had 5d II too and u43.

I no more worry about focus shift, optical magnifiers, etc. It is not the same as M9 ZEN, but in my opinion - it is closer than big, heavy 5D... It won't give you quality of M9, but pictures keep similar climate. I use only M(anual) mode, set LCD as B&W, focus manually on magnified screen. No shutter lug, also no ultra wide angle. I miss EVF too, maybe it will appear in next version of NEX.

You can consider coming X100, too. After experience of M9 - I personally would never come back to dSLR, unless I would have to earn a livelihood.

All the best!