The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica M9, Noct ASPH, 35lux, 75lux

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
As many around here know, I love my M9 gear. But, as I'll be working on a few projects over the next 6 months that will require a larger file size, I'll be switching platforms.

All of the equipment is in gorgeous condition and I'll post a few images in the next day. I have the boxes and the paperwork for all of the items except the 75lux. So, let me know if you are looking for any of the following:

Black Leica M9 with Thumbs Up: $5900
Leica Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH (399xxxx): $3300
Leica Summilux 75/1.4 Canada Version (361XXXX): $2800
Leica Noctilux 50/0.95 ASPH (408XXXX): $9950

Good luck with your sale and switch to MF. I made the switch when the S2 came out and it has been great. You have some great gear that should sell quickly.
_________
Mark

woodyspedden

As many around here know, I love my M9 gear. But, as I'll be working on a few projects over the next 6 months that will require a larger file size, I'll be switching platforms.

All of the equipment is in gorgeous condition and I'll post a few images in the next day. I have the boxes and the paperwork for all of the items except the 75lux. So, let me know if you are looking for any of the following:

Black Leica M9 with Thumbs Up: $5900
Leica Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH (399xxxx): $3300
Leica Summilux 75/1.4 Canada Version (361XXXX): $2800
Leica Noctilux 50/0.95 ASPH (408XXXX): $9950
Hi Kurt

Great gear at competitive pricing.

I sold everything to finance the S2 with 35, 70, and 120mm lenses.

I would love to have both systems but that is not possible. But good luck with your sale and someone is going to get some great gear.

Woody

ashwinrao1

Wooow! My gosh, Kurt, sorry to hear that you are leaving the M's behind for the time being....hope to see you with one again someday soon, and congrats on the move to MF.

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt maybe leaving the M system for now but I'm guessing he's not leaving the Leica extended family...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Guy,

Here are some rambling thoughts.

In deciding to get back into medium format, it's been a long decision-making process as opposed to the usual jump into a different system. It demonstrates to me how much I like rangefinders and the M9 for the type of shooting i do.

So why go back to medium format? I need some more resolution on a few projects I'm working on and I miss the added dimensionality I was getting with MF. I really like the look of medium format ... it's tough to give that look up once you've gotten used to it.

This time around, I'm also much more careful about the whole medium format 'value' proposition. Last time I bought into a system or brand it seemed like half of my investment vanished in a matter of months. While I liked my P45+ back, my whole experience with the cobbled together camera and used car feel of the medium format sales process left a bad taste in my mouth.

I had a test run of the Phase, Hasselbald and Leica offerings. Phase and Hasselblad have certainly stepped up their game with their latest systems. (My gut tells me that Phase will most likely put a nice revised camera on the table in their next iteration.) The P40+ sensor, especially, really renders nicely.

To see what Hasselblad had to offer, I also spent a week with both the H4D-40 and H4D-50. Both are very nice and I found that I took to True Focus like a duck to water. The H4D-50 I used was smoking good with colors and sharpness that jumped off of the screen. As a result, I thought very seriously about moving in that direction ... if I was doing more studio shooting, it might have been the pick. (To be honest, having to use Phocus versus C1 or Lightroom gave me reservation also.)

In the end, I'll be going with the S2 for several reasons. The first reason is that from the anecdotal research I've done, the S-system appears to be a system that Leica will be continuing for a while with minimal overall design and mount variation. An even more robust S3 is probably only a year or two away. Leica hit a home run in subtle upgrades they made from M8 to M9. I'm betting that an eventual upgrade from S2 to S3 will offer the same. If I'm jumping back in, I want to be able to jump into something that I'll feel confident in upgrading several years down the road.

The second reason is usability/portability. Like you, I like to utilize medium format in places where it usually isn't used ... for events, on location, etc. I'm rarely in a studio and I'm stubborn in that I like keeping things simple with a single system. While I really liked the H4D-50, it was a pain in the *** to carry around everywhere with me. While the Phase camera is getting better, it still isn't there for me yet either. The S2, on the other hand, was very comfortable to use an everyday camera (it's not a dslr and has a few downsides, but it felt good to use).

The third reason was the glass. Lloyd Chamber's reviews demonstrated to me just how good the lenses for the S2 are. The lenses, camera and software are a work in progress. But I'm really liking how it's all coming together as the system matures ... the future looks bright. And that leads to my own personal fourth reason, resale. Leica gear and lenses continue to hold their value (especially now that there is a wider user base of Leica users because of the success of the M8 and M9). The initial investment is incredibly pricey, but, in the end it'll probably end up being a safer investment for me than any of the other offerings. I'll probably buy into a demo S2-P which will knock the cost down a little but offer me a quick turn-around should I have any issues with the camera.

Also, as I really like manual focus, I find the whole adapter option to be a great opportunity to slowly work myself into the system. It's not perfect, but I don't need a big set of lenses to start and none of the other options are perfect either at this point in time. So, it's time to go with the option I feel most comfortable making ... and that's the S2.

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
The Noctilux is on hold.

I have all of the packaging and materials for all of the items except the 75lux (which comes with front and rear cap).

Here are a few photos of the M9, 35lux and 75lux.

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
The Noctilux is back on the market if anyone is interested ... it's LNIB and has had a UV or ND filter over the glass since I purchased the lens.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
M9 and 35lux are sold.

Noctilux ASPH and 75lux are still available ... lots of interest in the Noct but no one has pulled the trigger yet.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
The 75mm summilux is now sold.

The Leica Noctilux ASPH is all that remains. I've added a few more images.