The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Hasselblad 203 FE

Arjuna

Hasselblad 203 FE body, chrome, with box, manual, front and rear caps. Very good condition; everything works well. Pictures are here. US $ 2,400 plus shipping; PayPal is fine.

fotografz

Arjuna, what does the blue type read next to the battery drawer? If this is a converted 203FE for the CFV digital back, I'll take it if it isn't already sold.

I have a Pay Pal verified account.

Let me know.

Arjuna

Marc

No, it hasn't been converted, I would have mentioned that in the description. There is no type, the double blue stripes are just a little worn.

The camera is sold, thank you Matthew.

Ross

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If anybody wants or needs one of these, they show up frequently used at my local dealer --- I've seen at least three of them and a 205 TCC or two in the past 60 days.

fotografz

If anybody wants or needs one of these, they show up frequently used at my local dealer --- I've seen at least three of them and a 205 TCC or two in the past 60 days.
Jack, if possible could you forward the name and phone number of your dealer so I can try to get a 203FE from them? I want a second body to shoot film with, and don't want to disable the ISO transfer capability with E-Backs.

woodyspedden

Jack, if possible could you forward the name and phone number of your dealer so I can try to get a 203FE from them? I want a second body to shoot film with, and don't want to disable the ISO transfer capability with E-Backs.
Marc

I found a mint 203 FE on ebay and bought it recently. I think it is a marvelous camera but I will probably have mine modified in Sweden to accept the CFV II back. I have the automatic ISO film back and will be sorry to see the auto ISO disabled but setting the ISO manually is a cinch with this body.

Woody

fotografz

Marc

I found a mint 203 FE on ebay and bought it recently. I think it is a marvelous camera but I will probably have mine modified in Sweden to accept the CFV II back. I have the automatic ISO film back and will be sorry to see the auto ISO disabled but setting the ISO manually is a cinch with this body.

Woody
Yes it's a cinch, unless you are shooting 160 color and 320 B&W back and forth at a wedding and swapping backs ... then it's asking for a goof up.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, the auto-iso is nice to have. One nice thing though, is that it defaults to 100 if there is no communication. I have two backs, an A12 and an E12. My main films are E100G and Acros, but if I am shooting something else, I just leave the 100 ISO in the A12 and put the other (Tri-X, portra or whatever) in the E12 with the proper setting. Voila.

Marc, am correct in thinking you can't use FE lenses with the CFV? This would be a barrier to me, as the only non FE lens I have is an 80mm. That said, I seem to remember someone using it with FE lenses...do you have any idea about that? Not that I am really thinking about it....I am still pretty much sold on film or a 645 sized mfdb.

woodyspedden

Yes it's a cinch, unless you are shooting 160 color and 320 B&W back and forth at a wedding and swapping backs ... then it's asking for a goof up.
Leave it to you to find out how little I know. But I stand by my general statement that it is a cinch to change ISO through the PR1 mode. But I don't shoot weddings (thank Heavens) so I am not under the kind of pressure you guys go through to get this type of shooting done. Auto may be the best of everything under these circumstances.

Bless those of you who go through this mayhem

Woody

fotografz

Yes, the auto-iso is nice to have. One nice thing though, is that it defaults to 100 if there is no communication. I have two backs, an A12 and an E12. My main films are E100G and Acros, but if I am shooting something else, I just leave the 100 ISO in the A12 and put the other (Tri-X, portra or whatever) in the E12 with the proper setting. Voila.

Marc, am correct in thinking you can't use FE lenses with the CFV? This would be a barrier to me, as the only non FE lens I have is an 80mm. That said, I seem to remember someone using it with FE lenses...do you have any idea about that? Not that I am really thinking about it....I am still pretty much sold on film or a 645 sized mfdb.
Yes, you can use all the F & FE lenses Stuart.

A 200 series camera has to be sent to Sweden to be modified in order to use a CFV digital back on a 200 camera. That modification disables the automatic ISO communication of E12 and E24 backs with the camera so the film ISO has to be programed in just like with an A12 or A24 back on a 200.

The CFV is wonderful on that camera, but like you I also like to shoot film and scan it on an Imacon 949. That's why I don't want to modify mine, and am looking for a second 203FE body to have modified.

I don't think a 645 sized CFV type digital back will be made for the V cameras. Because it is a square format, you would have to remove the back and rotate it for Portrait oriented shots, and the way the CFV works precludes that I think. We will have to wait for a larger square sensor ... which may eventually happen because of the Hy6.

Stuart Richardson

Sorry, no extra E12...

Thanks for the information Marc. I am always tempted by the CFV, but it is just shy of the kind of specs that I would like. I like the square format, but I would like to be able to crop as well. For that reason, I would prefer a 645 size, or even a larger sized square sensor. And the fact that it is 16mp, as nice as those 16mp are, they just don't offer a big enough justification to buy for me. Perhaps if it used the 22mp 645 chip like the Mamiya...

Anyway, like you, I like film, so while the CFV would be tempting, it would be tempting to me at 3000 dollars, but not at 8000+. Film is just too good for me. I have the workflow down, I get superb results, and I like the way my lenses draw on their true format (6x6). I do wish I could trade out my 646 for a 949 though, but the 949's are just SO expensive, even used (at least that I have been able to see). It's not that the 646 is bad, it is phenomenal, but it takes a long time for the 3200 dpi 16 bit medium format scans, and the spotting can take 20-40 minutes on those negatives even if they are relatively clean, just because it has so much resolution.

drazin

thank GOD im not into the digital back thing YET. i actually enjoy loading the film and scanning. at some point In the future, i guess i will get into it, but not now.