The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Olympus E-PL2 with VF-2 and kit zoom

bradhusick

I think I'd like to give an Oly a try. If you have this and want to sell, please let me know. Thanks.

-Brad

ustein

Contributing Editor
Why not the E-P2? I find the control dial on the E-PL2 quite problematic to use.

Have E-PL2 for review right now.

bradhusick

My understanding is the E-PL2 has faster autofocus and a new processor, plus an updated kit lens that's quieter. Am I mistaken?

frank2001

My understanding is the E-PL2 has faster autofocus and a new processor, plus an updated kit lens that's quieter. Am I mistaken?
You are not mistaken
I just got one and I really like it.
I have had a E-P1, E-P2 and E-Pl1 and didn't care for any of them so switched to Panasonic.
The E-Pl2 is, IMHO, the best Oly so far and you will be hard pressed to improve on or even match the colors of it's Jpeg's no matter how hard you try.
Olympus direct has them on special for $549 w/lens and for $699 with the 50-140mm 2 lens kit. Provided they haven't sold out like the others have.

bradhusick

After trying one in the store, I am disappointed with the JPEG ISO performance at anything over ISO 200. I am posting examples to show why. Click on the images to show larger. This is with the kit lens, shot on a tripod with self-timer release.

Not looking for one any more.

Last edited:

madmaxmedia

I assume that is with NR turned off? Unlike other cams, in the E-P series when they say 'NR off', they really mean it!

When I had an E-P1 I typically set it to low, which still left some luminance noise while retaining a lot of detail. The M 4/3 cameras are perhaps a bit noiser than expected, but for me the E-P1 is still the only in-camera JPEG's I ever really liked...

bradhusick

Yes, this is with in-camera NR off. I tried the best settings in Lightroom to reduce the noise and here are the ISO 1600 results, alongside the ISO 200 file.
Click to enlarge.

Last edited: