The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: LEICA 90mm f/2.8 TELE-ELMARIT-M

D

DCV

I know the newer one is a better lens, but also more expensive. Most of my shots are in the 35-50mm range; I'm interested in the tele-elmarit as a travel and occasional portrait lens. I know I'll use the 90 rarely, so I'm looking for the best 90 money can buy. :) I doubt you'd want to part with the newer elmarit for what the older T-E goes for. :)

Millsart

Not to hijack this thread anymore than I may have inadvertently done already, but I'm in negotiations regarding my 90 elmarit-m, and if anything changes, I will list it in its own thread. Thanks for all the inquires.

Dana, with some many people after the Elmarit-M now hopefully you can score a great deal on a tele-elmarit

D

DCV

Thanks everyone for writing. I purchased a 90 T-E from a forum member and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to playing with it!

Dana

D

DCV

Update.

I received the 90 T-E yesterday, and I knew after the first picture I took that there was something wrong with the lens. I was able to narrow the problem down after testing it yesterday and today.

The lens is front focusing by about 3 feet, the problem seems to be consistent and apparent at all apertures. Test shots are located at my web site below.

I contacted the seller, who is a member of this forum. I am hopeful he and I can resolve this issue, otherwise I will post a follow up.

http://www.danacvoss.com/Photography/Tests/5588237_Ptge9#1226457493_huDD7

D

DCV

Things got resolved, the seller agreed to take the lens back and refund my money.
I'm still looking for a 90mm T-E, 'skinny' version from 1974-1990.

Thanks,
Dana

Millsart

Dana, watch out for the older T-E's. They've been made for quite a long time so there are some pretty rough ones out there. That lens seems to have some real issues with hazing as well.

Not that its a bad lens, because its a great lens for the money, but you've got to pick and choose a bit more to get a good one, far more than you do with a new Cron or Elmarit-M

rondeb

quick update. Received lens back in what seems to be same condition as I shipped to. Quick testing again shows no focus shift on my m9 - it is a bit soft @2.8. I will do closer testing and I will have the lens evaluated professionally to verify one way or the other and post the results.
Ron

D

DCV

Update. I bought another 90 T-E from another forum member and I received it today. The lens is great, it is incredibly sharp, even at f/2.8 and it was made in the early 1970's!!!! Interestingly, while there appear to be more problems with lenses made early on, this one is amazing. Test shots are here, auto-tone applied in Lightroom:

http://www.danacvoss.com/Photography/Tests-2/16478600_7wJaF#1240064326_Vehom

I couldn't be more pleased with the little 90 tele-elmarit!

Dana