Site Sponsors

Thread: WTB : 50mm or 90mm Leica M mount lens

Post Thanks / Like

WTB : 50mm or 90mm Leica M mount lens

Hi all

I am in the process of acquiring a Leica M8u and I need a lens for it unfortunately my budget wont allow a new lens such as a summicron or even a new summarit so I am looking for a good used lens .

I would prefer a Leica lens as I want to use leica glass on the leica body, but zeiss would be a good second choice as I sold my 2 Contax planars to pay for some of the M8 and I liked their rendering too .

I am not averse to way older lenses either as long as the rings are smooth and the glass clear I dont really care about the external cosmetics , so if you have a used M mount lens, let me know and perhaps we can work something out

Thanks very much

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB : 50mm or 90mm Leica M mount lens

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    Hi all

I am in the process of acquiring a Leica M8u and I need a lens for it unfortunately my budget wont allow a new lens such as a summicron or even a new summarit so I am looking for a good used lens .

I would prefer a Leica lens as I want to use leica glass on the leica body, but zeiss would be a good second choice as I sold my 2 Contax planars to pay for some of the M8 and I liked their rendering too .

I am not averse to way older lenses either as long as the rings are smooth and the glass clear I dont really care about the external cosmetics , so if you have a used M mount lens, let me know and perhaps we can work something out

Thanks very much

Robert
    Hi Robert,
    Take a look at a 50mm 1.5 Nokton ASPH.
    They are discontinued as of recent. But you can still find a used one for a decent price.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to be getting an M8 you may want to consider the crop factor.

A 50mm would be a 67mm and a 90mm would be a 120mm

A new Voigtlander 40/1.4 Nokton Asph is $429.00 new and would give you a crop factor of 53mm and is a fast lens for low light.

The Voigtlander 75/2.5 is another great performer for $429.00 new and would give you a 100mm lens on the M8.

The 50/1.5 Nokton mentioned above is a great lens as well and the new price is $599.00.

I have use all three and would recommend them as a great starting point when working within a budget.

One other suggestion would be to look at the used equipment lens available at KEH, Adorama, B&H and other online retailers. I have found a couple of older lens at KEH and Adorama that were fairly priced and there description was accurate.

Good luck with your search.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sid and Dan , thats my backup plan actually!

There is a dealer in Canada that has the CV lenses available for around the same prices as you mentioned Dan , also to clarify, I like using the 50s and 85s on my Pentax 1.5 crop so I really like 75-130 focal lengths Ive tried to like 35mm and it doesnt seem to gel with me, but I was using an old Takumar 35mm/3.5 , not the best lens perhaps. the 50 on the crop is my favourite go to size, and the fast 85s are my luxury lenses ( helios 40 + Contax CZ Planar 85mm)

cheers

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Hey may I ask what Voigtlander dealer in Canada you are referring to? I am also in Canada and I think the only one I've really seen is in Montreal but he doesn't have old stock. Just curious.
    If you like 50+ focal and sharpness the 1,5 nokton is excellent. If you want the sharpest at a decent price, try to find a 90mm elmarit last model with pullout hood.

Post Thanks / Like

wwwleicaboutique.com ( the montreal store :P) , Jean is the guys name, he only sells new gear most of the time however

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    wwwleicaboutique.com ( the montreal store :P) , Jean is the guys name, he only sells new gear most of the time however
    thanks, I'll check it out!

HelenOster177

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    ......look at the used equipment lens available at KEH, Adorama, B&H and other online retailers. I have found a couple of older lens at KEH and Adorama that were fairly priced and there description was accurate.
    Delighted to read that at Adorama we've been able to serve you well; many thanks for your business, and for your recommendation

BTW I'm only ever an email away if you need advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama: [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I just listed an excellent condition Zeiss ZM 50mm F2.0 Planar in black on the forum.

Its a great lens

$635 shipped

Post Thanks / Like

In my shelf cleaning I noticed from my "collector phase" I have some 65mm, 90mm (2.8 i think and 135mm lenses. They are older and therfore cheaper, but still work great. I take the 135 elmar treking.

It's just I have so d..m many of them

let me know, PM, what FL are of interest (and no, I am NOT selling my 50 lux asph )

Victor