Site Sponsors

Thread: Brand New Canon EOS 5d Mark II for sale $850

sarahsky

Brand New Canon EOS 5d Mark II for sale $850

Brand New Canon EOS 5d Mark II for sale.

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New Canon EOS 5d Mark II for sale $850

Since this is your first post and an improbably low price for this camera would you kindly provide pictures and evidence of good dealing, say, on another website please?

Pete.

Post Thanks / Like

I smell something too

Post Thanks / Like

This is 1000000% clear that this person is FRAUD. STAY AWAY.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay folks technically you are price policing be it too high or too low it is price policing.

As always with any sale buyer be aware. Lets leave it at that
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay folks technically you are price policing be it too high or too low it is price policing.

Post Thanks / Like

That must be the dumbest enforcement of the almighty rules I've ever seen.

From the admin here . Maybe it's time you get real cozy with the rules. Guy

Here are the rules specific to this forum as copied directly from the site rules section, but separated for clarity. Note that if your post does not adhere to these rules, it will be deleted without explanation!:

*** First, understand GetDPI.com offers this as a free service for our members and makes no warranties or implications regarding the veracity of the posters or items listed for sale, as such USE OF THIS FORUM IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

** Buy & Sell or FS and WTB. If you have camera gear to sell, go ahead and list it in the B&S forum. Basically any equipment related to imaging can be listed, including things like lighting and computers. However, we don't want the area cluttered up with spam posts for items like cell phones or old DVD's, so if it's an item or service NOT directly related to photography or imaging, please don't list it here.

** Price: If you are trying to sell an item, you should know what you want for it, so please no listings without stating an asking price. If you fail to list a price, your post may be deleted without comment.

** Price Monitoring: If you're not the seller and think the price is wrong -- either too high or too low -- tell them via PM, not in public on the thread as it is poor etiquette.

** Ebay & other sites: Posts that only point to other sale or auction sites are NOT appreciated. However, if your listed item has not sold here after 48 hours, then it is okay to add a note you've moved the the item to the 3rd party site. If you link prior to the 48 hour limit, your post may be deleted without comment.

** Photos of the items for sale: Photos of your gear are of course fine to include and in most cases will help the item sell more quickly.

** Commercial posts of any type are not allowed in this forum, use the commercial vendor section instead.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And if the rules weren't followed then there would be posts about arbitrary enforcement of rules.

The seller lists a price
    The ad does not link to another site
    Seller has chosen no pictures (none required)
    It doesn't appear to be a commercial post

Buyer needs to use judgement if price doesn't seem right or posting selling history is non-existent or sketchy.

Post Thanks / Like

Rules are all well and good, but at the same time, there is sometimes a time and place for bending them a bit.

I know we all would hate to see a newer or naive photographer (or any photographer for that matter) scammed on a too good to be true type deal. With experience most of us can know when things just don't add up such as a price thats 2/3rds what the average used body goes, zero posting history, a free email account etc but is it really such bad form to point those things out ?

One great thing I've found about this site is that there is a great sense of community. I've had things listed for sale, and even though other forum members were trying to sell the exact same thing, they were still nice enough to leave a comment that they've dealt with me before and it was a smooth experience or that I've got a great price. You don't find stuff like that happening most places on the internet.

Again, rules are all well and good, and 99% of the time they are fair and should be followed, but when a Nigerian prince is trying to sell a bridge in Brooklyn for a too good to be true price, perhaps its for the greater good to suggest buyers use some due caution ?

I mean what makes a good and safe B&S forum at the end of the day ? A collection of iron fisted rules or is it forum members all trying to provide one another a safe place to buy and sell items ? People make the difference and thats what I think keeps those who wish to try to perpetrate scams from usually targeting sites like this.

So thats just my $0.02 on the matter, all in a world where few would bother to pick up a penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I certainly will not disagree and honestly we got 5 reports on this immediately no question about it and we respect each member that sent those in as certainly a cause for pause. We also know very very well that members look out for each other on a daily basis and that is what makes this forum great no question about it otherwise i would turn the lights out. Not only are Jack and I owners we are also forum members as well and participate very heavily on the forum and we both want a nice home here. On the same token we are all pretty smart folks as well and can see if some things don't smell right. As owners we watch everything ( or try too) along with our amazing moderators. But we have put rules in for very basic reasons to control the forum as it should be run at least to what we think it should be.

Now at the same time there are backend actions taken place on our end to insure a healthy environment here as well . I would rather not get into that but lets just say we protect our members in many ways.

As always when issues come into play here I always remember our mantra or our dance song as some would call it.

"A place to exchange ideas, techniques, experiences AND images,
    where the discussions are fun, respectful and geared toward the goal of
    helping each other improve all aspects of our photography."
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

....Now at the same time there are backend actions taken place on our end to insure a healthy environment here as well . I would rather not get into that but lets just say we protect our members in many ways.

Translation: Don't worry about the 6'6" giant in Los Gatos; it's the short stocky italian that you don't wanna get angry....

(and bizarro don and ken got your back, guy!)

Post Thanks / Like

Since I posted the first reply I'll explain why I posted it. This was not intended as price policing. Unfortunately the OP hasn't offered enough detail for me to consider purchasing and it's likely that other members will feel the same way so photos of the goods and a sound history would benefit her by increasing her sale prospects.

I used the term "improbably low price" in case the OP had meant to type "$1850" (we've all typoed haven't we?) and to alert her so she could put it right. And, let's face it, the price is improbably low when even B&H sells the same camera new for nearly 4 times this price. We're not talking about subjectively valued used goods here we're talking about brand new, latest version goods so retail comparisons are valid.

Pete.

Post Thanks / Like

If someone would be naive enough to fall for this then not much we can do about it.... However, I seriously doubt that any member here would.
    Joshua - M9: Leica-M & Zeiss ZM lenses + Canon DSLR

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent!!!!

(jk)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Farnz View Post
    Since I posted the first reply I'll explain why I posted it. This was not intended as price policing. Unfortunately the OP hasn't offered enough detail for me to consider purchasing and it's likely that other members will feel the same way so photos of the goods and a sound history would benefit her by increasing her sale prospects.

I used the term "improbably low price" in case the OP had meant to type "$1850" (we've all typoed haven't we?) and to alert her so she could put it right. And, let's face it, the price is improbably low when even B&H sells the same camera new for nearly 4 times this price. We're not talking about subjectively valued used goods here we're talking about brand new, latest version goods so retail comparisons are valid.

Pete.
    Pete you bring up a excellent point and we do say this in the rules to help. But for sellers they really should be aware of posting I have this for sale at this price stuff. People want to see details and descriptions or links to the product and /or photos of the product itself. The more detail you can give to your ad and images of it the more credibility you have selling it , really just that simple ESPECIALLY if you are a brand new member, you certainly want to look legitimate . Us old dogs like me do not have to put images up as much as we are more trusted and maybe our gear is so new that it becomes pointless. That part i understand very well but as a new member coming on board best advice i can you as part owner of this site. Put more than 10 words in your ad.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP: If you can prove to me that this is a legitimate piece of equipment, honestly acquired, which I can inspect and pick up personally (save shipping costs!) - I'll take it!

To everyone else: If the above happens I'll re-list the brand new camera for sale here at a very fair price of $1999.00. That's a savings of $500.00!

There, that should make everyone happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisKennedy View Post
    To the OP: If you can prove to me that this is a legitimate piece of equipment, honestly acquired, which I can inspect and pick up personally (save shipping costs!) - I'll take it!

To everyone else: If the above happens I'll re-list the brand new camera for sale here at a very fair price of $1999.00. That's a savings of $500.00!

There, that should make everyone happy.
    maybe with the profit you can actually buy good equipment.
    ie: something that can focus.
    lol.
    (flame suit, on. )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi, I don't like to buy to much, but I like to get this camera. Its anyway you can send this to me, in one week after i see if i want it, I can pay you? Maybe I can sale it on ebay, make some extra in get another..

if its ok, please let me know.

Thank You

BlasR

Post Thanks / Like

The most popular post of the year?

Post Thanks / Like

It is obviously a tough call, but i found that Guy and Terry were more than kind and fair with my own postings of gear to sell, i trust their judgment. I have been selling things occasionally on Ebay since 2002, and I think that if something is too good to be true.... it always is.... Most folks here know that of course....
    -Josef
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it from him. I negotiated to a price of 400.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn, This has Been a Fun Read
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like

To the moderators: I understand the rule about price policing, but as I understand it, that was intended to avoid having someone posting beat up in public for pricing too high. Nobody needs protection against that. If the price is "too high" but a seller wants to pay it, so be it. That is the marketplace working. But here there are legitimate concerns about whether the sale posting itself is legitimate, based on the price as being too low. Suppose that one of our member had leapt at the post and sent the seller money only to find out it was a scam. Too late, and too bad you may say, but if the forum is about us looking after each other, there would be no way to do that in those circumstances. So I believe the intent of the price policing rules is not violated when there is a legitimate question about the bona fides of the seller and the offered transaction.

Could, for example, the first responding post say: "Warning: this is the first post by this person and I am suspicious" without violating the forum policy? If that is a violation then we really can't look out for each other can we? And if the answer is that such a post would not violate the policy, then what is the difference between that and saying "Warning: this is the first post by this person and I am suspicious because the price seems way out of whack."?

In other words, I vote for a common sense application of the rules: No public arguing that the price is too high, but permissible to warn if there are warning signs (e.g., new poster; price too good to be true).
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, some sites require membership for a minimum length of time, or a minimum number of posts on other forums, before a member may post a FS. Have you given some thought to that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got a fedex tracking #. will be here [email protected] 10 am, I just put a very good life ins in my wife head.
    kids are to little, so I will take everyone out, in be a block away,I tell my wife to open it in if she like it, to keep it, so she will be happy to open it very fast . I may get rich after all.
    BasR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlasR View Post
    I just got a fedex tracking #. will be here [email protected] 10 am, I just put a very good life ins in my wife head.
    kids are to little, so I will take everyone out, in be a block away,I tell my wife to open it in if she like it, to keep it, so she will be happy to open it very fast . I may get rich after all.
    BasR
    I totally don't get what you just said here.. Right over my head.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
    But here there are legitimate concerns about whether the sale posting itself is legitimate, based on the price as being too low. .
    Bottom line, we go by "Let the buyer beware." We are all grown-ups and it is not your concern to get involved unless you are asked to by a potential buyer, which in turn should be done via PM, not publicly! IOW, DO NOT PRICE POLICE IN PUBLIC, DO NOT QUESTION OR COMMENT IN PUBLIC ON SELLER INTEGRITY IF YOU HAVE NO DRECT KNOWLEDGE OF THE SELLER. If you do have prior, negative experience with a seller, place it in the "Negative Feedback" section which is where it belongs...

Thank you for your concern, but understand going forward this is not open for public debate, especially inside somebody else's FS post which is simply rude.

I hope this clarifies our position for all involved regardless of whether or not you agree with it.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

So in other words the right of someone to try to perpetrate a scam upon an unknowing victim is more respected than those of fellow forum members trying to do the right thing and watch out for one another ???

"let the buyer beware" ??? Thats really the attitude this place is about ??

I'm sorry but the main reason I feel comfortable buying some high dollar items that this forum seems to specialize in is because I feel theres a good since of community here watching my back and its made up of good upstanding fellow photographers.

Think I'd just go off and send someone nearly $6000 for a M9 that I saw listed on some other forums on the net ? Not on your life.

But here, I was able to get lots of firsthand accounts that the seller is honest, people that have dealt with that person actually took the time to message me and let me know I can trust that person because they too realize its a big sum of money.

Thats special and not something you find often these days and I would think the administrators above all else would want to encourage that type of mentality here, not "buyer beware".

This whole course of events is just disappointing to me. Its no different than a news story where someone stops a criminal from breaking into a neighbors home while they are away and then the criminal ends up suing them for $1 million dollars because he got injured during the scuffle.

I think everyone who stepped up in this thread is the good guy, not the bad guy. This is what keeps those with less than honorable intentions from posting here and rather sticking with the free for all that is Ebay, because they know they can get away with it there so much more easily.

Whats worse ? Posting a message of caution today or posting a message of sympathy next week in a thread about how someone's fighting with their credit card company to get their $850 back ??

Last but not least, I guess I should apologize for being rude to someone posting a scam. Wouldn't want to give them the impression we don't want that type of thing here would we ???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Millsart on this one.

I am actually surprised that this thread is still around. But hey, to each their own. I know that this is not something that would float on our (fashion) forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks, this is NOT up for debate. Keep it up and you will find yourself with a timeout. Consider yourselves appropriately warned.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok,

Look everyone...you all have a brain. For all of those complaining please use some common sense. What is the probability that you would buy a camera from a first time poster, that shows no picture, at a wonky price, where they link to an email address?

If the moderators or owners of the forum try to step into policing buy and sells it sets an uncomfortable precedent for what their level of responsibility is.

If in this case you were truly concerned about someone stepping into a bad sale you could simply say in a post:

Please post pictures
    Is this brand new what is the shot count?
    What country are you shipping from?
    What is the warranty situation?

All of these questions can help illicit a response that would make it clear if it were a good sale or not.

So, again this is not some arbitrary decision as to how to handle the buy and sell, it is an attempt to stick to a good set of rules that are clearly spelled out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Guy, some sites require membership for a minimum length of time, or a minimum number of posts on other forums, before a member may post a FS. Have you given some thought to that?
    +1 Tom!
    I was thinking just that. This way, it helps to weed out potential scams a bit more.
    Not that I am saying this FS post here in any way is a scam.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm voting for Millsart

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Said Jeff (Millsart) I couldn't agree more.
    Some years ago I got burned on Photo.net. It wasn't a lowball price, but never the less. After I posted what happened, I found out it happened to others, but up until that point no one said anything.
    After my post, seems about 10 people got screwed. It could have stopped at 1.
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, isn't that exactly the point though ? That the moderators/owners of the forum don't have to have any level of policing or responsibility because the forum community here will speak up when needed ?

Didn't Pete do exactly what you suggest someone do with his post ??

Would I expect most people here to fall for something like this ? No, but obviously some people do get suckered because if they didn't, crooks wouldn't still be trying such schemes.

The very fact that so many forum members jumped right on this not only made sure no one could foolish fall victim, but also sends a pretty clear message that this forum isn't easy prey and those who wish to take advantage of others should do it elsewhere.

I just don't see what the negative in any of that is ??

Does anyone want to encourage these types of scams ??

Does anyone want to see someone cheated ??

Don't get me wrong, the rules are fine and good when it comes to HONEST people. If someone's price is too high, they are trying to do a little "market pricing" on an often out of stock item etc then no, thats not the place for anyone else to speak up. Rules are clear about that.

But were those rules written in regards to post like this ?? I certainly would hope not. I can't image anyone would want to make a set of rules that help/encourage criminal activity.

My normal rules or how I live my life is to be polite and respectful to everyone. I think thats how most of us live our lives, HOWEVER, if lets say someone is breaking into our home/threatening our loved ones, suddenly those rules go out the window.

Rules just can certainly be firm but they can't be blindly enforced for all situations.

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Ok,

Look everyone...you all have a brain. For all of those complaining please use some common sense. What is the probability that you would buy a camera from a first time poster, that shows no picture, at a wonky price, where they link to an email address?

If the moderators or owners of the forum try to step into policing buy and sells it sets an uncomfortable precedent for what their level of responsibility is.

If in this case you were truly concerned about someone stepping into a bad sale you could simply say in a post:

Please post pictures
    Is this brand new what is the shot count?
    What country are you shipping from?
    What is the warranty situation?

All of these questions can help illicit a response that would make it clear if it were a good sale or not.

So, again this is not some arbitrary decision as to how to handle the buy and sell, it is an attempt to stick to a good set of rules that are clearly spelled out.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I disagree. New members might just jump right in for this camera. New members should be required to post several comments before selling gear, it establishes a history and dare I say, a profile that other members can build a trust upon. It seems the second comment asked all the right questions, but got trounced on...

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't carefully read all of your reply but when I read this,

"I feel comfortable buying some high dollar items that this forum seems to specialize in is because I feel theres a good since of community here watching my back and its made up of good upstanding fellow photographers."

I thought I should reply just to provide my thoughts in any online forum.

Q. What's at stake for the seller here if they get caught with scam?
    A. Their forum account would be banned, but nothing stops them from joining again with a different email address. If you are scamming someone out of thousands of dollars, maybe it's worth it? It really depends on the individual's morals. Really, not that much at risk here.

Q. Who is legally liable if you are scammed in an online forum?
    A. Seller.

Q. Are there any legal course of action that you can take?
    A. If you are lucky, paypal has limited course of action they can take for transaction that happened outside of E-bay (I'm hoping on this one). Paid with Paypal gift? no protection.

Q. Is the forum community legally liable for the scam?
    A. No, community provides equal right to every member unless forum rules are broken. The forum did not participate in the scam.

Q. Is there a preventive system in place to disallow scammers from joining forums?
    A. No, scammers cannot be detected and cannot be enforced. However, someone mentioned that maybe we should have a minimum number of posts before allowing to post for sale ads. Typically, scammers' first post is a scam, so this may help, but obviously it's not 100% fool proof.

I mean, yeah, I like the feel of community. Yeah, we look out for each other. Yeah, we let people know if he/she's a definite scammer. We all love that feel of belonging in forums. Problem is, forum cannot prevent scammers from joining, so the feel of community is really a false sense of security. Because forum should provide equal opportunity to all its members, unless there is evidence to prove that it's a scam, forum will not evoke the right given to its members.

I would have to agree with the mods on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
    So in other words the right of someone to try to perpetrate a scam upon an unknowing victim is more respected than those of fellow forum members trying to do the right thing and watch out for one another ???

"let the buyer beware" ??? Thats really the attitude this place is about ??

I'm sorry but the main reason I feel comfortable buying some high dollar items that this forum seems to specialize in is because I feel theres a good since of community here watching my back and its made up of good upstanding fellow photographers.

Think I'd just go off and send someone nearly $6000 for a M9 that I saw listed on some other forums on the net ? Not on your life.

But here, I was able to get lots of firsthand accounts that the seller is honest, people that have dealt with that person actually took the time to message me and let me know I can trust that person because they too realize its a big sum of money.

Thats special and not something you find often these days and I would think the administrators above all else would want to encourage that type of mentality here, not "buyer beware".

This whole course of events is just disappointing to me. Its no different than a news story where someone stops a criminal from breaking into a neighbors home while they are away and then the criminal ends up suing them for $1 million dollars because he got injured during the scuffle.

I think everyone who stepped up in this thread is the good guy, not the bad guy. This is what keeps those with less than honorable intentions from posting here and rather sticking with the free for all that is Ebay, because they know they can get away with it there so much more easily.

Whats worse ? Posting a message of caution today or posting a message of sympathy next week in a thread about how someone's fighting with their credit card company to get their $850 back ??

Last but not least, I guess I should apologize for being rude to someone posting a scam. Wouldn't want to give them the impression we don't want that type of thing here would we ???
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the bottom line and you all need to pay special attention to it and then i will lock the thread.

Everyone here is basing this on assumptions one way or another. WE do NOT have ANY legal credible evidence that the OP is a scam, a thief or simply a person that made a typo on their ad. Just because the price is low does not mean ANYTHING and that they are NEW does not mean anything. New people as well as experienced people on forums make simply mistakes. There is no legal evidence for this forum and its owners and officials to base anything on it being anything but simply a bad post with some really good general information posted on the ad itself. As i said in the beginning one should always give as much description to their ad to give themselves as best possible chance to sell. That is advice not a rule. The OP did nothing wrong at ALL except maybe left out some pertinent information that would help their sale and admittedly help there reputation as they are new. Lets remember the NEW part as they may not have read the rules and they did NOT break any.

You can assume anything you want and asking questions on condition and information that would pertain to sale is all relevant questions. What condition , where you shipping from have any references since you are new here blah blah blah. All good stuff

BTW the new members are moderated and this was let through by our moderation since NO rules are broken but maybe a typo or maybe someone just wants to sell fast. It's all assumptions there is no legal base to think anything else but the post itself. That is what we have to go by is the actual words themselves until proven otherwise just like any other legal system.

Frankly the rest folks is all assumptions which have no legal or moral base until any evidence dictates differently. Thank you all for your concern . Guy

Anything outside of that we ask you send a PM and discuss in private.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let me add that if any of you have an issue with the way we run this site and want to debate it in an open forum, post a question in the Sunset Bar, NOT in somebody else's FS thread!
    Last edited by Terry; 23rd March 2011 at 07:49.
    Jack