The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB 35 Summilux "ASPHERICAL"

edtan

Looking to buy the 35 AA Lux. Can anyone help to find this lens? It's going to be an adventure. Many thanks.:salute:

AGeoJO

You are not looking for an "ASPH" copy but an "ASPHERICAL" copy of the 35mm Summilux, correct? I am sure you are aware of the difference and I am just confirming. If you meant the later then indeed it would be an adventure. The first one does show up from time to time for sale.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
There was an ASPHERICAL on this very b/s board a couple of months ago. It was snapped-up right away. They are rare and pricey. Good luck with your search.
The ASPH seem to be in short supply, too.

You are not looking for an "ASPH" copy but an "ASPHERICAL" copy of the 35mm Summilux, correct? I am sure you are aware of the difference and I am just confirming. If you meant the later then indeed it would be an adventure. The first one does show up from time to time for sale.

edtan

Thanks Cindy. I saw that one but was too late. Need all the luck I can get.
"The game is afoot!"

AGeoJO

A few years back before the M8 was introduced I bought a 35mm Cron from a local guy. I believe it was around $700 or so back then. I went to his house to pick up the lens and as it turned out he also had a copy of the "ASPHERICAL" Summilux, also for sale. If memory serves, he wanted around $3K. I thought it was overly expensive back then :D, considering the price of the Cron was approximately $700. He let me play with it for a short while but since I had an M6 TTL, I didn't bother taking any shots. That was my only encounter with that lens. I saw one or two offered on that big auction site and the price was definitely up there now. I wonder how much the one that was offered for sale on this board went for...

Sorry for the OT and good luck with your search.

edtan

Love the story Joshua, was that the asph version of the 35 cron you got?
Don't remember the price that was on this forum. I remember it was too much for me then, until I caught the bug.

zoz63

Well, asking price for that twin ASPHERICAL element lens was $6500 and seller did not have box,hood or case but had caps.
There is one on e bay auction number 310303577099 Buy it now for US$8888.88 as well.

Last edited:

AGeoJO

Love the story Joshua, was that the asph version of the 35 cron you got?
Yes, it was. I bought a Summilux ASPH version a few months down the road and after the M8 was introduced I sold the Summicron to help me pay for that body. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to sell it for something like $800 or so. So, I made a few bucks and now, the price of that lens is $2K+ :D.

ohdannyboy

What is it about this lens that makes it so "hot"? Is it just because Leica decided to stop producing these? Is the image quality better than the ASPH or ASPH II? No focus shift probs like the ASPH?

silverlight99

What is it about this lens that makes it so "hot"? Is it just because Leica decided to stop producing these? Is the image quality better than the ASPH or ASPH II? No focus shift probs like the ASPH?
Good question, was asking myself the same things, collectors premium or performance-driven, or both? I'm sure the experts will chime in :p