The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Leica M 135mm Telyt Lens

D&A

Hi All,

I do comes across them (the APO f3.4) from time to time, including not that long ago...but besides the cost, I always stop and hesitate purchasing, for one particular reason (other than money). Every time I have one in hand to test out, I do so along side my (the) very last version of the 135mm f4 lens (that looks cosmetically, very similar to the f3.4 lens). I proceed to take a series of in-depth well prepared for test shots, carefully controlled, tripod mounted, cable release, good light etc...and each time the f4 lens matches it optically, f-stop for f-stop while examining images at 100%. I know this is not how its supposed to be but it's happened each time. I also first tested the faster APO f3.4 lens for focusing accuracy since some samples are notorious for having focus issues on the M8/M9.

I'm not the only one who has come up with similar observations between these two lenses and no doubt the APO glass under certain conditions, should win out with regards to color fringing....although I've yet to achieve a frame where the f3.4 lens won out in almost any regard. This of course saved me quite a lot of $$...but that wasn't the point. I also know some have found slight optical advantages to the f3.4 lens, so I'm not disputing that either. Maybe I got an extraordinary f4 lens, but I doubt it...since in the film only, pre digital days, I also had a different late version f4 than the one I currently own and I compared it with the newer APO f3.4 when it first came out. With these earlier tests, I also arrived to at same conclusion. Most have called the f4 lens "near APO". Just some of my own personal observations. Dave

Last edited: