The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto D4 2400 Watt Second Power Pack

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Complete description here, if you don't already know this top of the heap product:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/269112-REG/Profoto_510_403_D4_2400_Watt_Second_Power.html

Will include two Acute D4 heads and Zoom reflectors with the pack. Everything in excellent condition, no cable problems, major dings, etc. I would like to give these away for only $5,000 via bank direct deposit for this great kit including shipping to the USA. Foreign buyers I would have to charge freight and insurance.

F

fielddominance

Hey Chuck,

Trying to get in touch with you about the Profoto gear... PM'ed youbut no response???

email me at "prio(at)fielddominance.com"

David K

Workshop Member
I believe Chuck is traveling between Mexico and New Mexico and has sporadic internet service. You might have to be a bit patient with him but I can assure you he will not ignore your pm. If I speak to him I'll pass along your interest and am sure he'll get back to you as soon as he can.

woodyspedden

Please note: This is the D4 2400 pack, NOT the D4 2400R. I prefer using separate triggers.
Chuck

I am such a newbie regarding this kind of stuff. What do you mean about separate triggers and why is this important? Love to know so I can purchase the stuff that I really will need.

If you don't know what you are doing in this area it looks like a wonderful black hole in which to sink your entire life's possessions! LOL

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,
Maybe I can answer this for Chuck as I know he's finishing up a wedding in Mexico. Chuck is referring to the pocket wizards which trigger the flash. Some of the new packs have built in pocket wizards but not everyone prefers this out of concern, I think, that if the pocket wizard has a problem the pack is out of service. Whereas, with a separate, detachable pocket wizard, you can just replace it with one that's working. Quite right about lights and lighting being a black hole... some of this stuff is obscenely expensive. By the end of the lighting workshop you will know what you want/need and maybe even the best way to get it.

fotografz

Chuck

I am such a newbie regarding this kind of stuff. What do you mean about separate triggers and why is this important? Love to know so I can purchase the stuff that I really will need.

If you don't know what you are doing in this area it looks like a wonderful black hole in which to sink your entire life's possessions! LOL

Woody
Woody, separate triggers means you can use something like a stand alone separate Pocket Wizard, or any other brand of radio device to trigger the box by plugging it into the sync port on the generator box. The D4 2400R has a built in Pocket Wizard radio trigger ( the "R" stands for Radio). Some folks may have more than one kind of strobe system, and some brands do not use Pocket Wizard ... like Hensel and Broncolor. In most cases strobe makers offer their generator boxes with or without built-in radio triggers. Chuck may also have other reasons to prefer separate triggers.

Look at my ad for Profoto kits in the F/S section ... those generators do not have built-in radio triggers ... so the photos show two different types of triggers being used.

EH21

but of course you could just add another pw or other triggering device to the external sync port which the unit still has - so not exactly true that it would be out of service.

Actually though these are great packs - I've kicked mine around quite a bit and really love it. Very high quality gear.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Sorry guys, it has been a hectic couple of weeks! I just got married this past Monday also, so just a bit busy <Grin>.

Prio, never got your PM, but just sent you an email.

The main reasons I prefer separate triggers are these. First, if the internal fails, and jams on, which does happen, you are toast as it shorts the sync, so you can't even use a cord. Second reason is I use mixed lighting all the time, so want consistent triggers that I can setup myself. Something not working, I know right where to go to fix it! Call me old fashioned, but I want to do it myself, not rely on some built in gizmo that I never seem to have the book on how it works, or need to worry about who else is on what channel. This gear is complicated enough without the need to tote around a book library! And as for "standards" Whazzat???

fotografz

If you don't mind Chuck, I'd like to endorse your sale a bit.

Folks, this is $7,700 worth of lighting gear for $5K shipped. The D4 pack is "killer-diller-thriller-chiller" studio lighting ... it can be totally controlled from your computer via USB connection. It's a digital pack, which allows incredible asymetrical control over out-put to 4 different heads. IMO, if you are even considering going studio, jump on it.

I'd be all over this if I didn't already have two of them.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Chuck - A few questions.

Will the heads from my AcuteB 600R units also work with this pack?

What is the difference between the Acute D4 heads, and the Acute 2 D4 heads. B&H is listing heads with the "2" after Acute.

Approx. how many shots are on the pack and flash tubes in the heads?

Any light modifiers that you are also looking to sell?

Best,

Ray

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Chuck - A few questions.

Will the heads from my AcuteB 600R units also work with this pack?
Ray,

Your AcuteB heads will not work on the D4. They only work with Acute Battery packs since they are not fan-cooled. The Acute2/D4 heads are fan-cooled and will work with both the D4 and the AcuteB 600R pack.

For the record, the D4 rocks. Total control, extremely stable color temp, 8-stop power range in 1/10th increments, short duration, quick recycle, takes both Pro and Acute heads. What's not to like?! Seriously, this is probably the best pack out there for the money. You could spend more and get a Broncolor Grafit A4... but for my table-top work I use the D4 2400R.

:thumbs:

David

David K

Workshop Member
As long as we're talking heads... IIRC, the heads I have with my Pro 7b won't work on the D4 and vice versa. Do I have that right???

LJL

As long as we're talking heads... IIRC, the heads I have with my Pro 7b won't work on the D4 and vice versa. Do I have that right???
David,
Marc and Chuck can correct this, but I think the D4 accepts all Acute2/D4 heads, as well as Pro Heads. Not sure what heads you have with your Pro7b, but if they were standard Pro Heads, they should work. (The Pro7b heads are the convection cooled units, no fans, and were designed for the battery Pro7b generator, but they should also work on the D4 generator......I think.)

I pulled this from the Profoto site, D4 generator section:

The new Profoto D4 is fully compatible with the existing line of Acute2 heads and the improved Pro-7 head+. Furthermore, all former Acute and, in 220-240V countries, Pro-3-5-6-7 heads can be used. This allows full interchangeability between the generators and the entire line of Profoto light shaping tools. This insures the very finest quality of light possible every time an exposure is made.

Not sure what the "improved Pro-7 head+" part means in this description.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
LJ,
Do you take that language to mean that the Acute D4 heads will work with the Pro 7b. I recall being told that the heads were not interchangeable. I'll have to get confirmation on this.

LJL

LJ,
Do you take that language to mean that the Acute D4 heads will work with the Pro 7b. I recall being told that the heads were not interchangeable. I'll have to get confirmation on this.
David,
No. The Acute heads work on the Acute and D4 generators, not on the Pro7b generator. From Profoto's site again, but this from the Pro7b generator section:

Accepts all Pro-7 heads including Pro-7 Ring Flash, Pro-7 Twin Head, and economical convection cooled compact Pro-7b head, as well as older Pro-6 and Pro-5 Heads.

So, your Pro7b generator can use the Pro7b heads and the Pro 7 heads, included in the list above. The D4 generator that Chuck is selling here can take the Acute heads, the Acute/D4 heads and Pro Heads. Not sure about those Pro7b heads from your Pro7b set.

My thinking is that if one stays in the Profoto line, get the D4 for studio and location use for most flexibility, and get Pro Heads for greatest flexibility also. If one must go battery, the ProB2 would be the new ticket, and it would take the Pro Heads. All of the other "b" type heads (AcuteB, Pro7b) are really meant for the more limited battery generators they were built for, but some can be made to work on other studio generators. Not the cheapest way to go for sure, but all the pieces would work with each other (Pro Heads would work on D4 or ProB2 generators, and the D4 generator would also take the Acute/D4 heads, but the ProB2 would not. The Acute/D4 heads work on the Acute and D4 generators, but not on the other Pro generators (Pro7a, Pro7b, Pr07s, ProB2).

Not the least confusing system I have seen for sure, but it is worth knowing what works with what.

LJ

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Basically, that compatibility problem is one of the main reasons I decided to buy my two Elinchrom Ranger RX packs from David Farkas at Dale Labs. The Pro heads are far more expensive, and personally the size, weight, and cost on top just were too much for me to even deal with. My Rangers rock in the field use I have put them to for what David, almost two years now? Elinchrom for portable, Profoto for studio I found to be an excellent combination. For the little table-top studio work I am still doing, I can manage with just using the Elinchroms for now. And still hoping that the economy will pick back up!