Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: FS Hasselblad H3DII-39

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post

However I hear the Siren song of a second digi backcalling - two sisters - CVF11 and P25+ calling to me through the crashing waves of my despair - wanting me to give them a twirl..

with apologies to Homer.
    TOO funny!
    ~~~

Seriously, I think you can make a good case for those two digi backs AND an M8. Though I would get the P25+ and M8 first -- the M8 is still the more compact carry-around-at-family-events and travel camera -- then only add the CVF11 AFTER the P if you still really felt you needed it...

I actually pulled my second M8 body from the B&S because I decided I needed (wanted) two of them for travel. But that's me. And let's not forget you already have M glass and that's the hardest part of getting into the M... (And makes the second body seem economical )

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack

I am basically with you on the M8 situation. You need two bodies so you are not constantly changing lenses, or you want one dedicated to color and the other to B&W, or you just realize that the M8 is a somewhat fragile beast and having a backup body is a really good thing. This from one who fried a shutter and now awaits the return of his beloved with bated breath. Sure wish I had my second body,(which I sold to TEBNewYork) so I was still able to shoot with this system. I think I will probably end up selling my D300 and my arsenal of Nikon lenses to get the second body and perhaps a new 35 1.4. We'll see.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Actually, there IS some wisdom in this as a cautionary tale.

While I do not agree that the reason NOT to buy this very expensive MF digital equipment is that it somehow affects creativity ... there are considerations to be made before entering the "arms race" that permeates the category. This is not the same cost as 35mm digital leap frogs in technology.

If you delight in having the biggest and baddest MFD gear without a ROI, you WILL go broke at some point unless you have endless discretionary wealth.

IMO, you just can't bring a truck driver's appetite to the gourmet MFD restaurant. And this forum IS the restaurant ... where ALL of it is displayed in one place ... with advocates for each one, and beautiful results displayed daily.

Personally, when some new MFD development strikes my fancy, and I rationally know that I really don't need it, I sometimes bleed the desire by adding to my studio capabilities. First off, it eliminates a portion of the investment cash I may have ... making it impossible to get the latest thing announced And lighting tools last in terms of functionality ... I still have lights I bought well over a decade ago that are still in service.

As example, consider that for the price of one exotic MF AF lens for a Hy6, or H3D, or even now some Mamiya 645 digital glass, you can buy a nifty professional lighting kit (not that studio lighting is for everyone, it's just an example.) I'd venture to say that something like this ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Generator.html

Or this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2R_2_Head.html

Or this super deal:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Three.html

... may have more of an impact on your photography, provide more new challenges to master, and yield expanded horizons ... than more megs, or yet another lens.

I've personally used every one of the systems listed above, and can assure you they will be around working when my current digital cameras are in the dust bin of history

Just a thought based on experience, and not meant to be a lecture in any way.
    Marc

I am sure you are right in this analysis. As soon as I have completed the lighting workshop, and have a much better understanding of what I need in a lighting rig, I am going in that direction in terms of funding yet other aspects of my hobby.

When I started shooting product shots of yarn for my daughter, I realized how primitive was my knowledge of such things. So I can't wait to understand how to professionally do this kind of shooting and then go find good used lighting gear to meet my needs. I look at what you accomplish and say, this is where I want to be. When I know how to get where I want to be, then pull the trigger on the lighting system and the product stands which make the whole thing work.

To me, this is half the fun with this hobby. Learning how to achieve what you see achieved by the pros (and Marc you are at the top of the list of the pros in my book).

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, I just sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Jack,

it jut so happens that I was "accidentally" passing by a friend's place ( which happens to be a rather large camera shop) and he kindly offered to send my M8 off to Leica and swap me into a demo M8 of his ..so I am happy to have one back soon..also looked at a 40mmfrom 'Voigtlander' which woudl give me my favourite 50 length ..nearly..
    sadly he reckons teh cost of fixing teh 35 lux isnt orth the effort..

as for the Phase - well still waiting for you know who to get back to me on prices..

pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    So buy my M8 I just listed here and wipe away your tears
    My advice is to buy an upstrap for your M8 and then this will never happen. The stickies are on both sides of the strap!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody - my daughter ( after she had stopped laughing) suggested that all I had to do was place the strap over my neck - rather than shoulder.

As you can imagine I really thanked her for her advice!